CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
Russ Griffin

Profile:
Crossfit meets hip-hop

First of all hello everyone. I read the forums, but have never posted until now. I just saw a hip hop video that has some of the most amazing examples of body control I have ever seen...at one point the guy is doing pushups, with his body parralell to the floor, but feet never touching anything. Anyway, here is a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m839ZX8Aws&feature=relatedWFS ALL LINKS MUST INDICATE IF WORK AND FAMILY SAFE OR NOT.
Enjoy and Hello!

Last edited by Lynne Pitts; 12-16-2007 at 12:10 PM..
Old 12-15-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Crossfit meets hip-hop

lol, bboy junior probably doesn't do CF (well, as the program), but he does strength train and his strength is insane with the planche pushups.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
Scott Clark

Profile:

Sweet! That's some strength there.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
Adrian Bozman

Profile:

No to rip on the OP, but sometimes I find the (impressive) displays of breakdancing tiresome on this board. I'm sure if I posted a picture of Ryan Kennelly's most recent bench press (1050lbs if anyone cares) it would be ripped to shreds by the community...but they are the same thing, a highly specialized skill. It is true that both could arguably be quite good at crossfit if they trained for it, but all I see is a(n impressive) display of 'working your strengths'. Kind of misses the mark of Crossfit, don't you think? (and don't tell me the Breakdancer/gymnast would be better equipped to handle crossfit....getting under 1000lbs of anything requires a ridiculous amount of bodyawareness and technique)

Think about it. Impressive? Most certainly. Crossfit? Not at all.

Again, OP, welcome to the boards. I hope you learn a ton here, as I certainly do. Sorry you get to bear the brunt of this rant...sometimes I just have to let it out, you know?

(To be fair, I don't know Junior's Fran time or total, but I'm willling to bet it's not that impressive)
Old 12-16-2007, 01:59 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Adrian:

Yes, I am probably as tired of you as seeing Bboy juniors vid over and over again. I've had to seen it posted at least 20+ times here and every other forum I visit. HOWEVER, I would definitely argue with the assumptions you're making in that post.

Well, as a former gymnast and knowing how very good gymnasts train mainly we do lots of "metcon" type workouts pretty much at least 4,5,6 times a week along with strength. So if you're going to talk about "handling CF" I'm sure a lot of gymnasts could "handle" CF probably better than half the people here even on their first time out. Kipping pullups? No problem. Box jumps? No problem. Dips, stuff on rings, lifting weights with a bit of form instruction? No problem. Work capacity to do CF workouts? Most likely no problem as well as good gymnasts are conditioned. Breakdancers themselves probably don't condition as much as strength train as gymnasts so their capacity is lower.. but they would still be able to do more than powerlifting which is MUCH, MUCH more specialized.

Anyway, planche and working towards planche and planche pushups CERTAINLY builds at least 4 of the 10 qualities of fitness -- stamina, strenght, coordination, balance -- if not more.

All in all I just think you made some ridiculous assumptions about gymnasts and breakdancers especially comparing them to power lifting specilization AND assuming no metabolic capacity.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

What Steven said. And my guess (only a guess, I know) is that this guy would be a star Crossfitter right out of the gate.

What I mostly wanted to say was that I hate to see anyone (especially a newcomer) discouraged from posting stuff like this. We’re not talking about a marathon runner here, or a guy doing an impressive bench press. This guy is certainly no more “highly specialized” than are the folks doing Oly lifts at Mike’s Gym, or the people many of us enjoy watching in a Parkour video. Just because CF focuses on broad and general fitness, it shouldn’t mean that we can’t appreciate very fit and able athletes that have chosen to “specialize” in some way. I love seeing stuff like this!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:07 AM   #7
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Good stuff! I'm a big fan of bboying so I kinda biased on the issue. Although I have no idea who this Junior kid is, there were/are many other talented bboys and girls out there.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
Adam Altman

Profile:

I would agree with Steven about top-level gymnasts and bboys. I recently started taking a beginning bboy class -- I started mainly because of my interest in the body strength moves, and I found him through a link on the beast skills website. My teacher, Krazy Kujo, has incredible strength, power and stamina. Granted, he's one of the best bboys in the world, it seems like every class he is showing some interesting strength moves. In yesterday's class he was doing planche pushups, did a planche on the back of his wrists (like those fin pushups), on his elbows/forearms, and a number of other things I just don't know the names of. The week before he did a "no-thumb" planche, and a cobra planche. Apparently that is much harder than with the thumb. Try no-thumb pushups -- I couldn't do any without the thumb.. at least with the fear of injuring something (I could do them on my knees though).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEtWMyVHng0 wfs

Oddly, I'm kind of used to seeing all of the planche stuff by now, but there is one move that still baffles me. He can be lying flat on his back with legs straight, push his head and heels into the ground, and get the rest of his body off the ground, and can even get to standing from there by dragging his head towards his heels.

I imagine he would do fairly well with most of the crossfit workouts.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:03 AM   #9
Andrew Bueno

Profile:

Oh man! I've been looking for a thread like this.

As someone who grew up with Hip Hop, bboying has been very important in my development as an athlete. Steven spoke about how gymnasts are very qualified in body movement and control- the same goes for bboys on an informal level. They may not be lifting or building stamina and strength conventionally, but the dedication to improvement is there. Bboys (and girls) "session" for multiple hours multiple days of the week, practicing their craft. I think the OP was just excited about seeing those abilities. Russ' post was just misinterpreted, being on the boards we're on. (Regardless, welcome aboard Russ!)

Don't know where that was headed, but I have a huge respect for the art of bboying.

The guy in the first video is named Scott Willis out of the UK, I believe. Adam- you're a very lucky guy to be training under Kujo. He was one of my influences growing up- and still is because he doesn't stop trying to better himself.

I'm actually trying to reach out to some local bboy crews so we'll see how quickly they adapt to CrossFit. Science experiment time!