CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
Barry Anderberg

Profile:
Re: Bulking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
Barry, like Julius said, Starting Strength has all the answers for what you are asking. In a nutshell, you drink a gallon of whole milk a day on top of the calories you need to maintain your weight and do a bodybuilding routine with exercises that incorporate multiple muscle groups for optimal results.
Thanks, I guess I wasn't really asking about how to bulk so much as asking about how the idea of bulking itself meshes (or doesn't) with the CrossFit philosophy.

When I signed up on this forum I saw the part on the main page about caloric restriction and longevity which made me wonder how you all would view bulking.

Presumably eating excess calories would shorten lifespan if caloric restriction lengthens it. No?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #12
Jeff Evans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Anderberg View Post
Thanks, I guess I wasn't really asking about how to bulk so much as asking about how the idea of bulking itself meshes (or doesn't) with the CrossFit philosophy.

When I signed up on this forum I saw the part on the main page about caloric restriction and longevity which made me wonder how you all would view bulking.

Presumably eating excess calories would shorten lifespan if caloric restriction lengthens it. No?
I don't think the connection between caloric restriction and lifespan has been conclusively established yet. However, to the extent it is beneficial there is some research to suggest that IF (intermittent fasting) can provide the same benefits without requiring restriction and plenty of people here do that.

You're correct that bulking isn't really the main objective of Crossfit (fitness is). This article (w/fs PDF) probably describes it better than any other one place.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #13
Matthew Mills

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
What do you think happens?

If you're consuming good, excess calories, and doing the CrossFit WOD, you will lean up, and mass up to a point where your body is efficient. It won't be as quick as if you were body building, because that's not the goal of CrossFit.
Not new to lifting weights, just new to CF (since Dec 07), but since starting CF I've gone from 185 to 205, I'm stronger, faster, and leaner than ever. Biggest I've ever been was 195...then I leveled off and could not get bigger...no matter how many tricep kickbacks I did at Gold's Gym

My point is this, just do the damn workouts. If you want to get bigger eat more. If your belt gets tight, eat less. If you want to kill Fran you need mass, but if you want to have the fastest 5k, I suppose that same mass would hinder you. It's up to you.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:15 PM   #14
Eric Lester

Profile:

I would say most of us go by the maxim "Form Follows Function". Meaning if one is needing to increase his or her strength then a higher calorie "bulking" diet may be in order, such as the gallon of milk a day mentioned. However the focus is on increasing performance, not just getting big. If gaining size helps our other goals then we do it. (It also works the other way, losing belly fat helps my CF times regardless of whether or not it makes me a sexy devil)
Old 05-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #15
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Sells View Post
I'm a newb as well and was wondering almost the same thing, what happens when you follow the excess calories (gallon of milk), but do the WOD instead of SS? My apologies if this has already been addressed.
I did this (gallon of milk + CF) for... a bit over a month or so.

Note that I've also done the Starting Strength routine with the milk.

I found that I got alot chubbier on CF + milk than SS +milk.

I guess CF lacks the mass building hormonal response that a **** ton of heavy back squats gets you.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #16
Stacy Sells

Profile:

That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks, I guess I'll just start to tweak my zone a little. I started the zone a few weeks ago and dropped about 10 lbs. I really wasn't looking to lose weight, but I can afford to lose fat. I'll probably keep following the WOD and zoning properly until winter, then see if I'm in a position where I can take some time off the MetCons and do SS.