CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #11
Heidi Wagamon

Profile:
Re: How did you start to eat meat again?*

I've been a lacto-ovo vegan for 18 years. Approximately 6 years ago I attempted to eat fish and got really sick!

I've been Zoning for 1 year. It is possible to Zone while being a vegetarian, but it's not easy and the lack of options are frustrating. So, I finally made it my New Year's Resolution to begin eating fish. About 2 weeks ago on my "cheat" day, my boyfriend took me to a Walleye Tavern. I drank a couple strong drinks to calm my nerves, and ate an entire (brace yourself everyone... I know it's not healthy but I need baby steps here...) beer battered walleye fillet without getting sick! Since then, I have eaten fish two more times without incident.

I am a dedicated Crossfitter of 3 years and I guess I ultimately felt that I was short-changing myself by not fueling my body with the protein it deserved. I can honestly say that I will probably never eat anything more than just fish... but nonetheless, I am proud of my progress!

I know it's hard... good luck!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:13 PM   #12
Hanneke Schiffleger

Profile:

Hi Sarah,

I never post but this is so close to my own story that I have to!.
I've been a vegetarian for years. My parents decided to not eat meat when I grew up. Over those years I developed collitis, that started with ibs (intestinal problems) So 4 years ago I married an american and immigrated from europe to the US. My husband is a big meat eater and I was disgusted with the rare steaks he ate. Now I eat them myself, I had a super rare steak last night and it tasted great. But of course you don't start with a steak. I started with chicken, cut in small pieces and used in all kinds of stirfry. Especially thai food is very good because it is so tasty and spicy that it doesnt draw you to the chicken. Try to go to a thai restaurant one day and order chicken satay or any curry with chicken. I think you will love it and then you can try to make it yourself. Then experiment with recipes that seem good to you, the internet is a great place to find those. Take it slow, you will get a craving for rmeat again but it will take a while. Then you will love to go to barbecues etc just to eat the glorious meat.
And about the collitis, that cleared up almost completely with eating a paleo diet. Grains are the devil. Hope it helped, just start eating meat and enjoy the journey, there is so much to enjoy!!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #13
Alex Rosch

Profile:

Hi there Sarah (that's a great name btw...same as my wife's)
I am a ovo-lacto-vegetarian of 5 years, and had some similar experiences with the so called 'fog'...
I dialed in my diet when I investigated the zone. I knew that it was difficult to screw up the protien thing without going out of my way, but not about what/how much an athlete should be eating to maintain/increase lean muscle mass...however, I didn't know about correct macro-nutrient proportions (protien, carbs, fat) until sticking my nose in there. The zone covers all the bases with respect to types of fats (EFAs) and carbs you want to be putting in your mouth.
So, my big breakthrough while being a vegetarian was dialing in the zone...enough protien, no starches or sugar, right fats.
I know that doesn't answer your question, but thought I'd chime in as on of the few (if not the only) vegetarians on the board.
Mind you, technically, I've eaten more meat than Heidi in the last 18 years

Get those zone proportions right (if that's your thing...the zone that is)...all the meat in the world won't fix that.
If anyone is wondering, I don't eat meat because I'm not down with the cruelty to the animals in factory farms...I'd fish if I could/had to. Props to all of you who seek out humane and organic sources...even if it's not for the above reasons. I've thought about introducing the fish but my diet is fine...I just need to be more consistant with the WOD!!
I'm 27, male, 98kg and maybe 10-12%BF (I can see those lower abs).

Last edited by Alex Rosch : 04-06-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 04-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #14
Cassi Nesmith

Profile:

I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for nine years. My first non-vegetarian deviation was chicken noodle soup. I kept it down fine.

Try eating meat as a condiment, just a bit at a time - a chicken salad, garnish for a bowl of chilli beans, a bit of tuna with tomato soup (not in it, on the side)
Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #15
Justin Algera

Profile:

My wife was a vegetarian for 10+ years and she actually started with turkey. It took a few weeks, but now, she is like a shark on a feeding frenzy and we can't keep enough meat in the freezer. Nothing like the little vegetarian who used to tell me she would never eat meat in her life.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:14 AM   #16
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

I find all these testimonials of "now that I eat meat, I'm stronger/faster/leaner" very interesting.
I was mostly vegetarian, mostly unprocessed foods for the last eight years, getting less processed and more fresh/raw/local gradually over the years.
Over the winter, I added meats back into my diet, trying to eat the leaner, less processed meats and fish.

I'm certainly NOT leaner or faster. I'm stronger, but I don't know if that's from the extra protein or if that's just from working out alone.

My husband feels much better with very little meat in his diet, so we're in the process of again going mostly vegetarian, still mostly fresh & unprocessed, local when we can. I'll keep tabs on my gains or losses in terms of workout results and go from there: Black-box it, in other words.

I like meat fine. For starting back in, I agree with the recommendations to start small and with small-sized chunks of good-quality meats.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #17
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Tirzah, I don't know how it is for other vegetarians on these boards, but I was a peanut-butter-and-jelly vegetarian. Didn't spend a lot of time trying to cook lots of varied vegetable dishes, lots of refined carbs, not necessarily processed foods but not a ton of vegetables either. Soy protein supplements were my main source of protein, with milk and some eggs. So pretty much any movement away from that would represent a positive change!
Old 04-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #18
Sarah Bacon

Profile:

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all the responses and ideas. I like the idea of keeping it as simple and nonobvious as possible (mystery meat might work well in my favor here), and progress from there.

Before going back to the beef, I'm going to get in touch with a naturopath to get some bloodwork and other stats benchmarked. I'm borderline obsessive with tracking things and love to see objective growth & progress, so am interested to see how my stats change beyond the standard body composition and macronutrient breakout. I figure it's been 10 years already, might as well take a bit longer to benchmark the entire process.

Can you tell I work in business operations? So many damn buzzwords in this post... Bedtime...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:40 PM   #19
Jeff Yan

Profile:

Eat Chicken McNuggets. You won't even realize you're consuming animal flesh.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #20
Warren Matthews

Profile:

I too was a vegitarian for years, with very little dairy. I ate a lot of soy...it didn't do me good, so I added eggs and eventually found sushi, which led to chicken. I've stopped there, as I've had some really good local beef in the last year just to see what it'd do. I ended up getting a weird headache followed by stomach aches....I will admit that I'm not sure it was actually the beef and not my mind doing it though. I LIKE the idea of eating meat, but think for the time being I'll stay true to my phylum - a true non-pylumtarian.