CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-16-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
Andrew James

Profile:
When it comes to quad/hamstring strength differential, the standard that a lot of coaches throw around is that your hamstrings should be 2/3 as strong as your quads.

My question would be how does each get measured? It seems like back squat vs. straight leg deadlift might be a decent way to measure, but these are compund lifts where nearly the whole body is used. Therefore these two exercises are not necesssarily a great way to measure the relative strength of the quads and hamstrings.

It seems to me like the only way to really measure this with any accuracy is with isolation exercises, like leg extension vs. hamstring curl. The problem with that of course is their non-functionality.

Any thoughts? Rip? Dan John? Anyone?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
Kieran Hartnett

Profile:
I should think a non-functional exercise would be perfect for providing what is essentially a non-functional answer; otherwise you might be better off asking about back squat / SL deadlift ratio instead ;-)
Old 07-17-2007, 08:05 AM   #3
Andrew James

Profile:
Bumping this back up.

Somebody's gotta have some insight on this issue.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
No, Andrew. Kieran got it right.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
Adrian Bozman

Profile:
I remember Pavel T. mentioning something about this in one of his books (power to the people, maybe?).

To paraphrase, he said rather than shooting for a 'perfect' ratio, a more practical approach is to try to get both functions (quad/hamstring strength) as strong as possible...as you mentioned above the testing is impractical and I think there is real danger in losing sight of your objective (getting stronger etc.) in an attempt to chase a theoretical ratio.

I see a lot of people derail their training fretting over where they are 'supposed to be' (ie. squat to dead ratio etc.) instead of putting in the work to get where they should be...bigger, faster, stronger, right?