CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
Stephen Macioci

Profile:
Outdoor "Bootcamp" legal question..

Can I train in a public park, being that I am insured? Or do i need to get this Ok'ed by the town? How do others do this? Just show up and do it.?
I dont want to start something then have to shut it down..

Thanks in advance
Steve.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
Steven Bowser

Profile:
Re: Outdoor "Bootcamp" legal question..

Dont have much experience with this subject however I know down here in Florida you need to rent the space in the park or at least your supposed to. Some places might shut you down or make you pay if you start bringing equipment in. I think Florida is a little more communist than Jersey.
So I guess what it comes down to is how much equipment you gonna drag out there. That will surely draw attention. Weekends especially.
Good Luck.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Kevin Wood

Profile:

I operate at a school playground and and had to sign a liability waiver and gave the school a small donation to use their equipment.

As for city parks, talk to the City Department.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
Richard Sharpe

Profile:

I would ask the insurance company they will find any excuse not to pay out if something happens.

If applicable mention that its a public park and the public has access to it.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Stephen Macioci

Profile:

i was thinking of just starting then dealing with it when the time comes.. I dont know.. i feel like if i go to the town im gonna open a can of worms,. sportsfitness said they cover me outdoors indoors at a park or running around the block as long as i dont make like my own monkeybars in the park etc..

Steve
Old 08-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Greg Major

Profile:

Every park district is different. In Chicago I tried to get a permit or license and they told me nothing existed for that. As long as I didn't put up a banner or conduct financial business they just considered us people working out in the park. We don't use any equipment other than what already exist in the parks.

One thing you don't want to do is deal with it when the time comes. If you go through the work and effort of building a client base and having paying members, you won't look too professional when someone comes and shuts you down. It you need a permit or they just tell you no, you've have abide by their rules. If you're just a small group holding moving workouts then you can probably get away with it but not if you're trying to build a real business.

Best of luck.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Kylie Lindbeck

Profile:

I know it would be different for you guys but here in Australia, canberra we are insured where ever we go providing we stick to only what we are qualified to instruct / coach and consider the surface "safe". No matter where we choose to train we must get the local government parks approval, whether it be a town park, a hill / mountain, public oval / field. Not many places incur a fee but that approval is needed.

I would check it out before you start, if you get someone come up to you while your training asking for your approval papers, there would be nothing worse then getting a little serve in front of your members.

Good Luck!
Old 08-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
Mike Rosenberg

Profile:

If you ask for permission, they can say no.

If you go ahead and they ask you to leave, you can apologize.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #9
Becca Borawski

Profile:

It's better to deal with it up front - as mentioned, if you get booted after you've built up clientèle it doesn't look professional. I train people at a park and in the City of LA you need to pay for a permit to do so. I do everything the way it's requested and have a great relationship with the park office as a result.

There was another trainer there before me who didn't do things legit and he was kicked out of the park. When I was talking to some passer-by's one day, they specifically asked me if I had a permit because the last guy they trained with was kicked out for not having one. So, people do remember things like that and it does effect your reputation.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 08-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
Gary Wimsett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Macioci View Post
Can I train in a public park, being that I am insured? Or do i need to get this Ok'ed by the town? How do others do this? Just show up and do it.?
I dont want to start something then have to shut it down..

Thanks in advance
Steve.
Talk to the appropriate city/town officials and find out how to do it the right way. The city's main concern would be vicarious liability so that'll need to be addressed. Secondary concerns would include the size of your group, inconvenience to other park patrons, whether your group picks up after itself, etc. I agree with Becca - this is an instance where it's better to ask permission than forgiveness. You are building a brand. Getting booted from a park in the presence of eager clients is a potential brand-buster.