CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-13-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
Mauni Stiffler

Profile:
New with a couple questions

Hi there!

My name is Mauni. My husband and I are really really new to Crossfit and I had a couple questions. I already searched for the answers and didn't find what I was looking for. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction? Basically I have figured out how I can scale down many of the exercises. I am struggling with some of the upper body stuff. Namely pull ups and muscle ups. I am wondering what kind of things I can do to build up the proper muscles to even start attempting these two things cause I am so not there yet. I know about the pull up machine at the gym, but I just don't have the time to do that regularly enough (we are just finishing up our garage gym). Should I do just some basic training for the upper body until I have the kind of strength to do this? Push ups and curls that kind of thing?? Thank you so much for any insight you may have.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:
Re: New with a couple questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauni Stiffler View Post
Hi there!

My name is Mauni. My husband and I are really really new to Crossfit and I had a couple questions. I already searched for the answers and didn't find what I was looking for. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction? Basically I have figured out how I can scale down many of the exercises. I am struggling with some of the upper body stuff. Namely pull ups and muscle ups. I am wondering what kind of things I can do to build up the proper muscles to even start attempting these two things cause I am so not there yet. I know about the pull up machine at the gym, but I just don't have the time to do that regularly enough (we are just finishing up our garage gym). Should I do just some basic training for the upper body until I have the kind of strength to do this? Push ups and curls that kind of thing?? Thank you so much for any insight you may have.
Hi Mauni, welcome to crossfit. On the mainpage there are FAQ's, and a "Start Here" section. Also, there are some scaled workouts under "Brand-X". We do something called "grease the groove". For upper body, it may mean doing pullups with assistance bands, jumping up and getting the negative part. For push-ups, some people start on their knees. You'll be best prepared for the exercizes by doing assisted forms of the actual exercizes. Muscle-ups come later on after getting to a certain point on pullups, and dips. Dips are another exercize for which assistance bands are helpful. Check out some threads about pullups and dips and subbing/greasing the groove.