CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
Derek Maffett

Profile:
WOD's and strength

I have decided that I want to start doing Crossfit workouts, but strength is my other main goal. I remember people talking about gymnastics and how the strength training should be done first, so I was thinking that I would do a strength centered workout with stuff like cross pullouts and heavy chin up work and then do a WOD. Would this work, or would it be overdoing it? If this is not a good idea, how would I implement both the WOD's and my strength work to benefit both?

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: WOD's and strength

That's fine.

If you feel like crap after a week or two it's probably too much and you need to cut back.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:

And this would elicit gains in both metcon and strength, right?
Old 08-21-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

It can yes. You could also try the ME Black Box approach and in the 2nd of each 3 day cycle make it max effort day.

I would use (looks like you want to) Steven's advice and do the strength before the metcon WOD.

Example is like we did at CrossFit SoCal the other day:

5-5-5 Back Squat
5-5-5 Press
"Karen" - 150 Wall-ball shots for time.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

You can also take a regular MetCon and tweak it to be more strength related. Up the weights, possibly lower the reps, add 2:00-3:00 rest between exercises, and still give it all you got.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Or just do both. Yesterday I did Fran before doing front squats. After the nausea subsided, it worked out just fine.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:31 AM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

It's always the people who haven't even tried the WOD with any consistency that want to add more work ...

Why don't you give it an honest shot and see what happens? If you're not considerably stronger in 3-6 months, tweak it to address your concerns.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Good point, Anthony. Without experience with the WOD's, I can't really make a good decision yet, can I? I'll try Cindy today and see how I fare.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
It's always the people who haven't even tried the WOD with any consistency that want to add more work ...

Why don't you give it an honest shot and see what happens? If you're not considerably stronger in 3-6 months, tweak it to address your concerns.
This is what I'm doing. I am a weakling and could probably benefit from ME Black Box, but I'm just trying to get through the WODs for now just to build a nice GPP base and get a good feel for things.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:29 AM   #10
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post

Anthony - thank you for saying this. It should probably be posted on the FAQ. I think the problem is that many, many people come to CF with the view that CF is the MetCon workouts only. It's always the underlying assumption of the question. "Can I get strong doing the WoDs alone?" Well, given that the WoDs include 5 x 5s, 7 x 3s, heavy singles, as well as MetCons with large weights (21-15-9 of 225lb DLs and HSPUs) the answer would be an unequivocal "yes!" People look shocked when they hear that CF includes this kind of work. Coach has mentioned this over and over again and he seems as surprised as anyone at these kinds of questions at certs - CF is NOT simply MetCon craziness.