CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-21-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
Garrett Bartholme

Profile:
Any body "not" on Zone/Paleo?

I have been doing a lot of research into food, diets, and how the body reacts. I recognize the theory and value of the principles outlined in the zone and paleo diet. I have began to adapt some of these ideas into my lifestyle.

However, i would like to hear from people that are simply low fat dieters, high carbs, or just smart eaters, and how they perform.

I personally, workout 5 days a week with one big workout in the morning, and a lighter one midday. I do a wide variety of exercises; gymnastic holds, oly lifts, body weight exercises, metcon, sprints, and runs. My current goal right now is to decrease body fat and see my diet as the key to achieving this goal. I eat rather healthy with plenty of vegetables, whole grains, protein, no junk food, and limited saturated fat.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Any body "not" on Zone/Paleo?

Garrett;
I'm thinking that the people that excel at Crossfit are not"simply low fat dieters, high carbs, or just smart eaters", but rather disciplined eaters that understand the fact that food is fuel and you can elect to fill the tank with either Rocket Fuel or Kerosene and everything in between.

Jay
Old 08-21-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

I tend to eat 'vaguely Zonish, vaguely Paleo', but with too many cheat meals (and just too much food, period) to be at optimal weight. At 5' 5" and 158 lbs (this morning), I'm probably about 8 pounds of fat over a really good weight for me.

The amount of available discipline I have after my job and getting the workouts in doesn't leave me with enough to also clean up my food quantities right now.

Such is life . . .

One warning: 95% of people out there will tell you that they eat "healthy", even when they manifestly don't. The lesson from that is to doubt them, yes, but also doubt ourselves (me, you?) when we say we "eat healthy". My own (lack of) performance pretty much demonstrates that I don't, even though I think I do.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
Craig Brown

Profile:

I'm pretty middle of the road. I have 'paleo' tendencies, but don't worry at all about being strict. Where I have noticed great help in body composition are:

1. WAY more good fats than I have ever eaten before. Huge, huge, help.

2. Vast reduction in breads/pasta/rice etc...I still eat these things, but in much smaller quantities, and on a regular basis none after about 1pm. Big increase in veggie consumption and in a lesser sense fruit intake over previous years.

3. Quality cheating. Instead of eating say, donuts or a candy bar, I'll go out for some seriously good food. If I am dying for carbs I'll eat something else first, then check back with that.

Generally I do very well. I bicycle for transport, so there is a lot of that, and while I am just getting into CrossFit I do get a ton of exercise from the bike, skateboarding, weight training...

Energy is great. With lower junk carbs I have very 'smooth' energy- no crazy highs & lows. I can work, work out, ride for 15 or 20 miles and be fine (though often a bit sore) later that day or the next. At 40 I feel very good.

Craig

Zone is much too much brain involved with gut for me. Can't do it. I'm a bad idealogue, so I can see the ideas behind Zone/Paleo and use them as a rough framework only.

ps- I also have a very physical job- I walk many miles a day, lots of up & down stairs, lots of moving boxes of paper, crates of water & soda...
Old 08-21-2007, 09:27 PM   #5
Rob McBee

Profile:

I'm currently eating approx. 35g Protein/10g Carb/95g Fat per each of the 3-4 meals I eat daily. Bodyfat is dropping/Performance increasing. I don't know how that would break down on the Zone, probably something like 40/10/50. Foods are 'paleo' I guess in that I eat no grains or dairy. Its actually less total volume of food per day than I was eating in months previous and I feel great, sleep/mood/energy all good.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:14 PM   #6
Alicia Michel

Profile:

Garrett, I was on a vague Anabolic Diet for about 7 months and ate around 50g carbs a day, fat making up about 80% and protein 20% the rest of the cals. Every Saturday was carb-up day. The AD was good for heavy lifting, but not so much high intensity workouts, especially towards Saturday.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
Gant Grimes

Profile:

I'm about where Craig is. I follow the Zone outline and use Paleo sources when possible (ok, convenient). I try to consume between 140-170 protein blocks each day. I eyeball my food (take a hunk of meat and fill the rest with fruits and green veggies) and generally pass on seconds. If I want some pie and ice cream, I'll take in some protein beforehand to balance out the carbs (robbing Peter to pay Paul, but...).

I perform better, I've lost weight, and I generally feel better. I could tighten up a little more on a cleaner diet, but that's not happening right now.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

[QUOTE=Garrett Bartholme;180474]
However, i would like to hear from people that are simply low fat dieters, high carbs, or just smart eaters, and how they perform.

QUOTE]

I don't follow any plan strictly.

I actually lost most of my excess weight doing Weight Watcher's Core plan: low-fat, lean proteins, veggies and fruits, whole grains.

It wasn't until I really started cycling long distances that I needed to modify that. I usually eat somewhere in the 30% protein/30% fat/40% carb range. (I know this because I track from time to time on www.fitday.com. (safe)

Since reading about the paleo diet for athletes, I'm shifting a tad from carbs to protein, and being more careful about the type and timing of my carb intake. (A lot of ice cream, I have found, is not ideal fuel. )

Mostly, I listen to my body and try to figure out what works best. I'm really trying to kick up my fitness a notch, so I'm in the process of knocking off a stubborn 10 pounds, but still need to fuel my workouts well. I basically keep learning and experimenting.

Susie
Old 08-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
Garrett Bartholme

Profile:

Thanks for all of the info. I act along the same lines with other people that have posted. I am not one to adhere to diets or exercise routines (never did a WOD!). I take what makes sense and works best for me.

Some of the changes that I have made to my eating habits;

Reduced amount of carbs, but the ones I do eat are whole grain
Determined that fat is o.k. especially the "good" fats
Don't have high carb/ high fat in the same meal
Increased vegetable, fruit intake
Most importantly; be aware of what I put in my body, and how my body reacts.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:48 PM   #10
Scott Clark

Profile:

I eat a lot of Paleo foods, but quite of bit of non-Paleo foods as well. I've reduced grains drastically, but still have oatmeal daily. I eat about 7-10 servings of fruit and 5-10 servings of veggies a day now. I also still drink milk and have no intention of giving that up.