CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #11
Christine Reinhart

Profile:
Re: Eating Zone in Japan....any thoughts?

Thanks Gabriel and Chris. I appreciate your advice and insight. Of course I want to be reasonable about the types and quantities of food I eat, but that being said, I certainly don't want to miss out on unique cultural experiences or offend anyone in the meantime. I love good quality food that is carefully and thoughtfully prepared, and I will definitely allow myself to experience what Japan has to offer in that respect. I leave in 15 days...can't wait!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:02 PM   #12
Yoon Sohn

Profile:

If you happen to stop by Tokyo at any time during your stay, I'd highly recommend a trip to the Tsukiji fish market.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3021.html (work/family safe link)

There are these tiny shops there where you can have some of the best sushi/sashimi you may ever experience. Awesome stuff. Unfortunately, I think most of them close around noon, so generally people go for there for breakfast.

Have a great trip!
Old 10-15-2007, 11:05 PM   #13
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:

I don't zone but I live in Japan. I can hopefully give you some information that will help you.

- there is rice everywhere. It's a staple dish.

- ditto for noodles. Ramen shops, Udon shops, Soba shops, a few chain Italian places with pasta (quality varies), many bread shops. Expect to answer the question "Do you eat bread or rice?" and boggle people if you say "I don't eat rice or bread."

- there are plenty of fresh vegetables and fresh, sashimi-quality fish. You should be close enough to the sea to get very fresh fish.

- meat isn't cheap. Except a price shock compared to buying beef or pork in the US. Same for chicken but it's not so bad.

- People will often offer you snacks. These are usually sweet, sugary, and heavy on the carbs. Rice cakes, mochi (rice pounded into a sticky goo), sembei (rice crackers, something my town is famous for), etc. Hard to refuse, both because they're very good and because it's socially awkward. You can do it, but if you do expect to have to explain your "dieto."

- there is a lot of really unhealthy food available. Mostly snacks. Avoid them. Japanese people like fried/chocolate-coated/batter-dipped/breaded foods, and often sweet sauces. That said, odd Japan-only Pocky and Toppo flavors make great gifts when you come back home.

- Also, you'll be near Nagoya - famous in Japan for its misokatsu - miso-encrusted breaded pork cutlets, over rice or cabbage. Not cheap (1000-1400 yen for a set) but very, very good.

I think you do owe it to yourself to try the local food. The locals aren't in The Zone but generally aren't overweight. That's changing to some extent as they eat more Western-style meals, but it's still generally true. It might just be easier to eat like they eat - it won't kill you, and it's a great way to experience the culture. I've got many MMA friends with six-pack abs who eat rice or noodles or both at every meal. It's probably better to go home after the trip having changed your diet up a bit and enjoyed all the local cuisine than to come home and say "I kept to my diet, but no, I never tried any sushi/ramen/tonkatsu/tempura/whatever" in Japan.

FWIW, when I first got here I actually had trouble keeping weight on - sticker shock at some food prices, inability to identify all the foods I saw in the store or find the ones I was looking for (and inability to ask), and general stress and difficulties from living in a foreign place. I dropped to my lowest weight ever for a while, until I got a handle on an eating pattern that made sense for Japan and not for generally low-carb eater in NJ. That took a while, longer than you'll be spending there...I hope you can adjust faster food-wise. I took to the culture easily enough, but it took a while to find the yogurt or learn the names of the veggies and fish I wanted to ask for.

Hope that helps. I don't expect to go anywhere near Nagoya in the next couple months or I'd offer to meet up. If you get a chance, try to get to places like Nara or Kamakura, they're very scenic and not terribly far from where you'll be. Enjoy the trip. There are upsides and downsides to living here, but it's a nice place and the people are friendly.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:46 PM   #14
Tim Weaver

Profile:

Mmmmmmmm......katsu.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:13 AM   #15
Rob Johns

Profile:

Figured I'd also put in my two cents as I loosely follow the zone diet in sapporo, Japan (although I rarely measure things). I'm also doing research as a postdoc for the next couple years.

If you spend some time wandering around the supermarket you can often find the basic components of the zone diet...it's just that you may need to be a little creative. Various nuts are available in the snack sections (as well as many other evil sugary confectionaries). As far as meats and veggies go, some of them are a bit different but I just buy them, whether I recognize them or not, and try to cook them as I would back in north america. I'm still working up the courage to find ways to cook squid and octopus...

Enjoy Japan, the people are wonderful and I am in agreement that you should allow a bit of cheating in your diet or you'll miss some of the real treats they have to offer here.

cheers,
rj
Old 10-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #16
Christine Reinhart

Profile:

Yoon - Unfortunately I won't be spending any time in Tokyo, but thanks for the tip.

Peter - Great post! I appreciate you giving me some insight about what I can expect in terms of Japanese food and culture, and how they can influence each other in various social settings. These are things you can't really know until you get there, so thank you! It's too bad we couldn't meet up for a WOD.

Rob - Thanks for sharing your 2 cents...I'm looking to get as much information as possible before I leave.