CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:26 PM   #41
Randy Gruezo

Profile:
People have different beliefs on what is valuable. Look how ridiculously priced the new iPhone by Apple is. I believe 599 for the phone if you sign with a new AT&T Plan. That doesn't even include the monthly charges for the phone plan with all the bells and whistles.

I guarantee just from the publicity that phone SOLD. People placed value on having a phone on steroids as opposed to paying for 4 mos of Crossfit @ $150/month. If you saw some of the people who bought the phones a lot of them needed a whole year of Crossfit.

However, you ask the same person who got the phone to pay $150/month to get their lives back they would say "that's too expensive or I don't have the money."

You can't compare Crossfit with other "fitness models" because it's comparing apples to oranges. There are some people who value it or not.

This is not a knock on those who do Crossfit and don't pay to go to an affiliate, if it is possible. I'm not saying you don't value Crossfit I'm just saying you don't see the value of paying $150 to an affiliate.

You have other things you value more like someone said above, to their Roth IRA for their family. Which is perfectly fine. If I had to pick between Crossfit and my kids future, that's not a hard choice to make.

For God sake I have friends who have the latest gadgets, buy the latest fashion trends and complain they don't have money. They can't even "afford" to go to a $19/month gym. Go Figure.

If you're talking about business you have to find those people who don't think it's "expensive", who find value in what we have to offer. It probably won't be too hard because fitness is a billion dollar industry with 95% of things that are bullcrap.

To the person who started this post. The decision ultimately comes to what do you value. It's great to see others perspective, but why I make financial decisions is way different than yours. If you have the disposable income to pay an affiliate you'd be stupid not to go. But if you don't, if it's picking between Crossfit or paying credit card bills then I believe you'd be stupid not to get rid of debt. But hey that's just how I think.

That's my two cents,
Randy
Old 07-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #42
Benjamin W Herbert

Profile:
I take physical fitness very seriously. I pay around 220-240/month but that includes personal training sessions. Actually Erin (my trainer) is more of a coach. And he's relentless; I know I would not be able to push myself as hard as he does. It helps to have a motivator, especially when you're outside on the track at 7:00 AM on a Monday morning doing weighted stair-climbs, pushups, thrusters, "hit-its", and half mile sprints while it's pouring down rain:-)
Old 07-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #43
Tim Weaver

Profile:
If you're not interested in paying the going-rate for a Crossfit Affiliate, the Ballys in Phoenix (at least) is now advertising $19/mo, no contracts, workout anytime, cancel whenever you want.

Would you like fries with that? :-)
Old 07-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #44
Rick Martinez

Profile:
Thought I'd add my 2 cents. I can certainly appreciate everyones rationale for not wanting to spend $$ on their health...one gentleman referenced an IRA...one said they could join the "Y" and save dinero...all valid reasons. Then I read the other side of the coin...people sepnd $600 for an I-phone...we blow cash on Starbuck's lattes's, etc...
How 'bout this. I am an Army nurse at Walter Reed in Washington, DC and every day I work I have the distinct honor and priviledge of caring for our country's finest young warriors. Some are Green Berets, some are Air Force PJ's, and some are just regular grunts and convoy drivers who never saw the RPG bearing down on their squad or truck. More than often it is their determination and fitness levels that have allowed them to pull through these traumatic events, and yes, I have met some who are CrossFitters. They have made me personally appreciate my country, my life and my family in a way I never imagined possible. They have also made me realize how important my health is to me and my familys future. The extra $150 in an IRA does my kids no good if they have to put me in a nursing home because I stroked out. The "Y" or Bally's? Did that with no results. But that isn't the point here. I think what's important is that at least the people who post here are in some way, shape or form committed to some level of fitness.
I started CrossFit'n in Feb 2007 and was amazed. I am a convert and committed. I also realized I was paying $180 month for MMA classes! so CrossFit Challenge was a bargain!
The long and short of this post is just do something! If you save money at the "Y", COOL! Just do it! If you can be fit and sock extra dough into an IRA...COOL! Just do it then my friend. For me? I'll fork over the dough to be punished by Coach Jerry, not because I like giving away my $$ to a former jarhead :-), and not because I particularly enjoy seeing Pukie the clown after a workout... but because I CAN! I wake up in the AM and think about the Gunny who asks for a cup of water...because he has no arms to get it himself. A hero. I think about the sniper who absolutely will NOT quit, even though his legs were blown off from an IED. This Army nurse, formerly a little bit of a porky slob, does it because I CAN.
The Y? Save for an IRA? Who cares, just do it because you can.
I do it because I CAN!

Old 07-14-2007, 12:06 PM   #45
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
(Wow, I got into this thread way too late to read all of the posts, but I'm caught up on this page atleast.)

Today, my mom went to look at "Curves," a women's fitness franchise (and apparently, the world's largest franchise). She came back with a pamphlet with info, including the price: $60 per month for three 30-minute sessions a week.

I've got bumpers, rings, parallettes, a C2, dumbbells, and then some... Why would anyone want to go to a place to "tone" and "shape?"

Here's the website:
http://www.curves.com/ (Safe.)

Can you spend 30 minutes a day, 3 times a week, to improve your quality of life?
Would you rather exercise in an environment designed especially for women?
Would encouragement from other women help you reach your fitness goals?
Have you tried or considered other fitness clubs and just never found one that felt right for you?
Have you ever wished for a fitness program that was "doable" and fun?
Are you ready to amaze yourself?

I'm pretty sure fitness is something your whole life has to be centered around. 90 minutes a week won't change your life. Changing your whole life will change your life.
I'm pretty sure men and women exercise the same way, though the scaling may be lower. I don't think "toning" with a 5# dumbbell qualifies as exercise either.
I'm pretty sure the encouragement you get here, from people of all backgrounds, who all have the same goal as you, is what works best. Look at the people who just started off at SimpleFit, and are now in the best shape of their lives, and consider the fact that SimpleFit itself was started by a member (Kevin McKay...? I can't remember) here who just wanted to help people begin.
I'm pretty sure alot of people here came from some other fitness background, and found this one better.
I'm certain CrossFit is fun, and completely doable for anyone.
I'm amazed by Annie and Nicole, but I'm pretty sure no one from Curves is that amazing.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #46
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
Rick, right on man I'm with you!
Old 07-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #47
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
If some would think how much $$ I spent in the last year on fitness (CF style) they would think i WENT CRAZY. All I can say is that 1 year ago (preCF) I was thought by most to be healthy. A woman in her 40s, a vegetarian at that who was fanatical with her healthy eating, yoga etc., and a size 12-14 US clothes. Now a year later I can DL 220#, BS 163#, finally got 2 single pullups 2 days ago etc, am a hearty carnivore. eat no grains and am buying size 4/6!
What can I say--whats more important--health and fitness or what. Yeah I spend less time with my kids than I used to but they're also older. Two got married this year, 1 is away in school and the other is gonna be a HS junior. DO I need to be at home as much as when they were little. I would think not. My time has come and I want to be in the best shape of my life so I cna be strong and able to spend many quality years with my first (of hopefully many) grandchild due this coming Oct.
CF rocks!
Old 07-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #48
Becca Borawski

Profile:
We're all talking about the most valuable thing in our possession -- our bodies. And the most important investment we can make in it is our health and fitness.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #49
Nathan Chaszeyka

Profile:
Patrick, I don't like to contradict people but I have to disagree with a lot of what you posted.

Can you spend 30 minutes a day, 3 times a week, to improve your quality of life?
Would you rather exercise in an environment designed especially for women?
Would encouragement from other women help you reach your fitness goals?
Have you tried or considered other fitness clubs and just never found one that felt right for you?
Have you ever wished for a fitness program that was "doable" and fun?
Are you ready to amaze yourself?

If you changed just a few of the words in that sales pitch, it could apply directly to crossfit.

Curves is always a favorite center to bash on this board it seems. I think that this is a really unfortunate situation. The truth is that Curves HAS changed people's lives. And it can produce results for the customers. My mother has become active again and is interested in crossfit, occasionally doing wods with me. This wouldn't have happened if she didn't get jump started by Curves.

The truth is that Curves is better than being on the couch, and the people who are spending their time there should be appluaded for being there instead of doing nothing. I often think how turned off to Crossfit my mother (or her friends from Curves who are now open to CF), would be if she read the condescending posts that are made on here.

And while this is only my personal opinion, I don't believe that fitness is something that a person's whole life must be centered around. I've found that I am my healthiest when I avoid such "specializing" and try to lead a life that is as multi-faceted as possible. In the past I have focused solely on fitness and have quickly burned out and rebelled against myself.

Now days I find that fitness is only a means to an end, and cannot consume me if I am to stay on track.

To the point, this attitude towards fitness allows me to put into perspective what fitness is worth financially and how I should alot the money that I can afford to spend on training, fitness and nutrition.

For me, crossfit is worth $100-$150 a month. Anything more and there are a myriad of options that open up or close down to me.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #50
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
There's no reason to go to Curves when you have a son who is perfectly willing to teach you to use a full set of equipment you already have at home, for free.