CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:
SS for old guys is 3000 calories crazy?

I’m 44, 5' 9", 177lb (with at least 10lbs of jiggly fat I could lose). I’ve been on the SS program for three weeks now. Been enjoying my newbie gains.

Current stats are Squat:3x5x200; Dead:1x5x285; Bench:3x5x155; Row:3x5x115; Mil Press:3x5x105. Not doing the clean because I’m recovering from leg surgery.

I’ve been trying to eat good quality food, but haven’t been Zoning or counting calories. Last week I started trying to dial in my diet.

I got to this article by a nutritionist Rip recommends.
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/pr...quirements.htm (w/f safe)

It indicates someone lifting heavy should consume bodyweight x 1.5 grams of protein. That's about 265 grams of protein for me. I tried it Thur & Fri of last week and I really have to work to eat that much. For example, I ate:

Average Calories
Total: 2508
grams - cals - %total
Fat: 120 -1077 -44%
Carbs: 124 -418 -17%
Fiber: 20 -0 -0%
Protein: 243 -970 -39%

Average Calories
Total: 2255
grams - cals - %total
Fat: 116 -1041 -48%
Carbs: 72 -234 -11%
Fiber: 13 -0 -0%
Protein: 226 -904 -41%

Does this amount of calories/protein sound right for an OLD GUY'S goals, which are to gain muscle mass and strength before I go back to Crossfit?

I know diet and Starting Strength has been discussed many times but I couldn’t really find a thread that confirmed I’m eating the right amount of food - for an OLD GUY. I'm willing to gain a bit of fat if the muscle comes with it then I will switch to a strict Zone diet and work the fat off during the WODs.

Can anyone help me dial this in?

Last edited by Caz Berkowitz; 05-05-2008 at 02:57 PM..
Old 05-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Jenna Dodge

Profile:
Re: SS for old guys is 3000 calories crazy?

I don't know much about old guys (44 isn't THAT old) but I thought I read somewhere (Paleo Diet, i think) that 40% of calories from protein is about as much as you can handle w/o getting sick (rabbit sickness) - are you nauseas or anything? I would be careful with that.

Otherwise, for comparison, I am a 24 year old 123 pound girl (5'4") and I eat at least 2300 calories a day, though around 60% fat. I just crossfit mostly and now that bike season is here I am riding, but I have upped the calories so I am probably closer to 3000 calories a day, at least on days that I ride.

Your plan sounds good - to increase overall mass and then lose the fat once you get as strong as you'd like.

maybe some other "old guys" will have an opinion....
Old 05-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

3000 calories is not an outrageous starting point for someone of your weight. Everything from genetics to food quality to the amount you sleep is going to determine how much muscle/fat you gain while eating a caloric surplus.

However, the way to dial it in is to get an estimate of your body fat percentage, track your calories everday, and every three to four weeks recheck your body fat percentage. If you are gaining more fat than muscle, you reduce daily calories. If you are gaining little to no fat at all, you can increase calories. It takes some experimentation and it feels a little rediculous in front of a mirror with a tape measure, but the results are so specific to your situation that you find out what works for you.

BTW, supplements with creatine will really mess with these measurements. For instance, my weight fluctuates by about 7 lbs. whether I am going on or off. I would do my best to keep supplement usage constant over the course of these experiments.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:

Thanks. Neil, your plan is sensible and I will recalculate as I get further down the road. I'm just looking for a starting point and wondering if 3000 cals is it.

I'm using "old guy" to differentiate myself from the 18 year old who can lift, drink the gallon of milk and not think about anything else.

Apparently I've grown in my imagination and old guy memory.
On 8/9/06 I was only 5' 7.75" at 180 lb with body fat of 26%, using the Zone / tape measure method.