CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-31-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
Stephen Kichuk

Profile:  
It is generally recommended to eat high GI carbs post workout, but that is not on the menu for you Paleo eaters. What sorts of carbs do you consume post workout, and about how many grams relative to bodyweight?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Stephen,

Actually, Paleo allows some moderately high GI carbs, particularly for the post-wo window. A particular favorite of mine is sweet potato, but regular potatoes are also allowable at that time. Any fruit or fruit juice would also work. I'm not much for measuring weight or calories. I usually eat a small/medium sweet potato after a 30min to 1 hour work-out that is met con. Cordain recommends at least 3/4 gram carbohydrate per pound of body weight if exercise was up to an hour or so. You could also try to estimate total calories expended to determine the amount you should consume. I don't think its an issue for short, intense work-outs in which only up to a few hundred calories are burned. Cordain particularly advocates a recovery drink that includes branch chain amino acids. He has lots of tables and formulae in the Paleo Diet for Athletes, which I find to be aimed more toward endurance athletes than recreational crossfitters.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
Michael Tong

Profile:
I just bought and read The Paleo Diet For Athletes and it recommends a liquid recovery meal within the first 30 minutes, and then a solid meal within the next 1.5 hours or so. The liquid meal is so that it gets absorbed quickly. The recipe example given in the book is to mix fruit juice, a fruit, glucose, and a protein source (powder or egg whites). It also recommends to add a pinch of salt if you worked up a good sweat in a metcon session. You could leave out the salt if you didn't sweat a lot.

The solid recovery meal is also moderatly high GI like sweet potatoes.

I've only been through the book once. I probably have to read it a few more times as there is a lot of good stuff to absorb.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:33 PM   #4
Stephen Kichuk

Profile:  
Does the book give a recommended total daily carb intake?

Also, what does Paleo say about evening carbs?

Lonnie Lowery, in Temporal Nutrition, advocates AM carbs, PM fats, little combining.

Q & A
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=775026
Part 1
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461927
Part 2
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460539
Old 02-01-2007, 04:49 AM   #5
Tom C Lopez

Profile:
liver!!
the liver has more carbs than any other part of the body i belive, very high at least, which gives it its sweet taste.
when hunter gatherers kill a large animal, the first thing they do is cook and eat the liver.
i like it fried up with bacon and onions myself, and lots of chillies
Old 02-01-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
Michael Tong

Profile:
Stephen,

Yes, the book does talk about carb intake, sprinkled throughout the book. However, the author breaks down nutrition into 5 different stages surrounding an endurance event (co-author Joe Friel is an endurance athlete), before, during and after. So, it is primarily from that perspective. He also talks about nutrition leading up to an A event (i.e NYC marathon), B event and C event (i.e. Anytown 5k Run).

I think the book is a good read, and definitely worth a look. I cannot remember anything about evening carbs.