CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-14-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
Chris Hanninger

Profile:
I am familiar with the Crossfit method, as I have done a few routines before, but had to tweak them because of my inability to perform the recommended weightloads and/or exercises. I want to start following it day to day in accordance with the WOD, as opposed to just picking and chosing which ones sound good. The gym I go to is closed on Sundays. What do I do if I miss a day? I really want to start this because I just entered grappling and kickboxing. Should I do crossfit on the days I do the other training? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
C1ph3r (pronounced Cipher)
Old 08-14-2005, 09:10 AM   #2
Beth Moscov

Profile:
First, start slow. That is true even if your in top shape. These workouts tax you in ways that our systems are not used to. Try reading the getting started information that is linked in the top left corner of the front crossfit.com page.

Second, you can often modify workouts to do at home. Many of us don't work out at gyms. Get a pull up bar and you can do most of them. Add a barbell and some weights and you can do almost all of them.

Third, in the beginning, go really light in the wod when you have other workouts planned. Don't worry - you will still get the neuroendocrine response. As you progress, you will be able to do both full out. Most of those who do other sports try and put the sport specific workout at least four to five hours after the crossfit workout - or the other way around. (except Matt G but he isn't human)
Old 08-14-2005, 09:41 AM   #3
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
http://www.mitymous.net/weights/xfitfaq.htm
The hands down best resource on Crossfit.com
Also the most overlooked, poor Lynne. But seriously welcome aboard and check it out.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:56 AM   #4
Chris Hanninger

Profile:
Thanx for the advice...I'll be sure to check out that FAQ. I'm going to build up a home gym, hopefully soon so I can workout after hours.