CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-13-2005, 12:46 AM   #1
Andrew Hank Arasta

Profile:  
You could say I'm trying/thinking about starting CrossFit on a regular basis. In the past 2 weeks I've done 3 CF exercises. Now I realize I'm not in the best of shape, but the first exercise I did was Cindy-esque work out (I did 15 overhead squats, 10 pushups and 3 pullups for max rounds in 10 minutes). To me this was a good start, however after completing 5 rounds in 10 minutes I felt like dying. I thought I was going to puke (luckily I ate long before the workout because I got very close to dry heaving) and my body felt like it was gonna shut down. Obviously such an experience made me wonder if I had perhaps gone too hard (I sorta scared myself away from the whole CF idea) I later tried another workout involving a burbee-dumbell thruster with pull ups. I tried to do five rounds but my legs failed after 2 rounds of 10 with 20 pound dumbells (again not sure if I'm a pansy or if I was going too fast or too heavy or both). Bottom line, I feel like crap (words cannot describe it) and I'm not sure if I'm going to hard to start and if I'm not going to hard to start, when will this get easier on me internally and externally? I could use some advice.

Vitals: 5'8" 125 pounds 18 years of age.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:27 AM   #2
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Andrew, I'm sure many of the old hands will chime in here but as a relatively new crossfit participant maybe my perspective will help. The WOD's as Rx-ed are beasts and push even the fittest to their limits. There is no shame to starting slowly and carefully.

If you read through the boards you will see many have hit the same wall as yourself. Generally the recommendation is to cut load/ reps in half and complete focusing on using the best technique you are capable of rather than racing through for time. CrossFit Journal #6 has a great article on scaling back WOD's.

For your Cindy like WOD, maybe instead of doing the rounds back to back and racing for 10 minutes, time yourself doing one round then rinse and repeat every say 2.5 mins if it took you 2 mins to do all the exercises. Keep doing this as long as you are able to complete within 2min15sec. With the burpee/dumbell thruster combo maybe break it down into a set of burpees, a set of thrusters and then your pullups.

For a hell of a lot of people who post here getting to as Rx-ed (or as written) is a goal either achieved after months of work or else something they are still striving for. Either way, the results achieved by just starting and doing as much as you are able can be nothing short of mindblowing.

Short story, do what you can do without destroying yourself for the next day and just use a little imagination to find something you can do with each WOD.

Hope this helps,

regards, kempie
Old 07-13-2005, 04:40 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Excellent advise Chris! The first month, go through the motions, learn the moves, and get aclimated to the workouts. Then start pushing a little at a time. Keep good records. Every morning I pull up the web site and cut and past the WOD into a "running" Word document. I'm on page 49 now. I put one rest day and three workouts on one page, then start a new page. After the WOD, I come upstairs and record my time in the document. I highlight PRs in red. I also record benchmark workouts on a large white board, in my basement gym. Take it slow, start with consistancy, then build intensity.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:58 AM   #4
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Larry, that running Word idea is great!

I'll have to steal that from you. ;-) Thanks!

Andrew, these guys are spot on. I've only got two years on you, and I wrestled for four years before doing CrossFit. CF is intense, and WILL run you into the ground if you don't start slow.

There is no shame in cutting reps/sets/rounds completely in half for at least a month (or 2 or 3). Actually, that's recommended. I did exactly that for about 3 weeks before I jumped into the WODs head on.

Speaking of which... less talky more worky. WOD time. Today's going to be a killer.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:27 AM   #5
Kevin Murphy

Profile:  
I created a microsoft access database to track my WODs. Its has a single table with the date and workout number (if you workout more than once a day), the WOD name (if applicable), a memo field for the workout description (copied from the website), a memo field for my comments about the workout (excuses) and a time field (if the workout is for time).

The good thing about using a database is that I can write queries or reports to bring up WOD based on filter criteria. I only have one report yet, it asks you for the workout name (Lynne for instance) and returns every WOD with that name. It allows me to quickly compare times and track progress (or lack of).

I'm really new to crossfit so I don't have enough WO's in to require a database yet but someday it'll come in handy and I'll be thankful I started it.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:15 AM   #6
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Kevin,

Any chance you could e-mail that database to me? I can find all sorts of uses for it, but I'm not sure how to make one.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:05 PM   #7
Tim Weaver

Profile:
I did scaled-back WODs for two weeks to get a flavor of Crossfit. Then I got the "beginner's workout" from a past issue of CFJ (issue 9, May 2003) and am on my second week of doing that.

Interestingly, I am so far gone (!!! heehe) that I had to scale back the weight even further. They say "the average CF-er is 175, making X weight 55% of their bodyweight. So, do 55% of your bodyweight as a starting weight."

I nearly died laughing when I read that...I weigh about 215-ish right now. I supposed that other beginners might even be higher. So...55% of that? please. :-)

I chose an arbitrary 25% of bodyweight as a nice starting point. Sure, some of the lifts are easy (45 pound deadlifts), but this way I KNOW I am not going to be doing too much, and can scale up as quickly as a I need to and can. This also allows me to practice form v. weight, since I am working out alone and want to make sure I don't injure myself.

Next week is when it starts getting fun....multiple 400m runs, multiple sets. And here I thought I was going to enjoy myself. :-)

TimW
Phoenix
Noob
Old 07-13-2005, 06:44 PM   #8
Andrew Hank Arasta

Profile:  
Thanks for the help guys, I intend to scale my workouts a little better and keep forth at it. This isn't just any type of workout regime to get you in shape. You have to get in shape just to do it. And it's not just like an aerobic exercise...I could run a mile no problem but 10 minutes of CrossFit nearly kills me. I suppose it's hard for a reason. Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:47 PM   #9
Russ Greene

Profile:

Yes, you need to get used to doing it every day before you go all out on the WOD's, but remember, the workouts aren't going to get much easier for you even as you get a lot better at them. I'm lying on the floor in a pool of sweat at the end of a hard workout twice a week at least, and I imagine many people here do the same.

Previously Masquerading as Ross Greenberg

P.S. Andrew, are you up for a trip to HQ this weekend?