CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-23-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
Mark Meekins

Profile:

Hey everybody!

Iam new to this fourm but I think the fourm you guys have is great! I was recommended here by another fourm. Iam not going to say the site name as I dont know if that is allowed on this board. But as far as I have searched through here, you guys have a very good site! I was trying to see if you guys could help me get back into shape to play football again.

Alright about me and my goals.

Iam trying to get back in shape for american football. My current physical status not good. Iam out of shape badly. I played american football for 4 years, and I have been out of football for 4 years. The reason why I had stop playing in the first place was do to a foot injury. The injury wasnt caused by playing football, but goofing around. My foot is fully healed now. But that was just for 1 year. The other 3 years I just got lazy and havnt gone back scense.

Iam 15 I would say Iam about 5'11'' weight Im at 240 I just weighed myself, and I have just ate dinner so that might of added a few pounds. So as you can tell by my weight Iam fat. I was a running back when I was playing, so I would say Iam trying to go for running back again but if not that, defense of line like I played 1 year.

Right now I have access to the mod.1 by scrapper which is bodyweight exersies, a tredmill, and a weight workout station called weider pro 4850. I was going to try only bodyweight exersies to see how that works out for american football training, but if thats not a good idea I can get back into weight training again. I tried doing bodyweight training for like 2 or maybe 3 weeks with a diet and I was seeing results and other people noticed to. But then I had like a bicep/foarem type strain. That left me not working out for like 3 or maybe 4 weeks. I kind of gained some weight back, by then the strain was gone, But then valentines day came around and so did the sweets, so you can say that I probley gained all that weight back.

You can say I have all the time in the world to workout. And what am I doing physically right now. If you call playing ps2 and typing all the time is working out then my fingers and hand are very, very strong.

My goal weight is to get down as much as possible while getting stronger. And also getting that ripped look.

Well that about pretty much explains it. And if you all need anymore info please let me know.

Iam hoping that you all can help me out on my quest to getting to where I need to be. And if this helps any. I live in columbus ohio.

Old 02-23-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Do the WOD :-)
Old 02-23-2005, 06:11 PM   #3
Eric Moffit

Profile:
yup...do the WOD (Workout Of the Day posted on the main page) and post any questions about it to the Comments section. any movements that you are unable to perform, do them w/ a broomstick or some other modification that you can handle. just scale it down to your ability and get 'er done.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:48 PM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Also, get on the Zone now! You need to shed some of that extra body fat. Just that alone will increase your linear speed, and we all know speed kills and it dominates on the field!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:22 PM   #5
Mark Meekins

Profile:

Hey guys!

Thanks for the info, but how did I know you guys where going to say, "do the WOD". I actually dont have all the equpiment to do everthing on the WOD. And I was wanting something more towards football training. Like if someone could set me up a football training routine I could go through and stuff like that.

(Larry) Your right speed diffently kills on the field. But you can say Iam more of a power back if you ask me. But increasing my speed will diffently help out alot to. Where can I get on the Zone now. Is it a pill or somthing?
Old 02-23-2005, 07:56 PM   #6
Pat Janes

Profile:

Mark,

For a quick and IMHO excellent introduction to the Zone Diet (more like a nutritional way of life) read the following post by Nicole:

http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/disc...9788#POST29788

For a more indepth look into exactly what you should be eating to be "in the Zone" get back issue 21 of the CrossFit Journal (Meal Plans):

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/store_backissues_2.html

The reason everyone is telling you to just "do the WOD" is because it is the best GPP (general physical preparedness) training you are going to find.

Most of the athletes here do the WOD in addition to some form of training for their sport and/or vocation.

Do the WOD and you'll be in kick-a** shape; practise sport-specific skills (for you, football) in addition to the WOD.

Lack of equipment is a non-issue; most people here sub various exercises due to lack of equipment. If you don't know what to sub, just ask; or read the WOD comments on the front page as chances are, someone has already asked the question.

Most importantly, listen to advice to ramp up the intensity with which you attack the WOD slowly. Build up over time and you will have no problem tackling the WOD + football. Go at it too hard and you'll burn out.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
Matt O'Donnell

Profile:

Mark-

"The Zone" is diet that a lot of great athletes here swear by. Cleaning up your diet sounds like it'll make a big difference for you. Go check it out in the nutrition forum.

As for training, I'd say you've got two good options:

1)do the WOD the best you can, subbing and modifying based on your equipment and physical ability

2)or do Scrapper's MOD 1...it's supposed to be pretty good

It sounds more like you just need to work on general strength and conditioning before worrying too much about football specific stuff. Once you're strong and fit, you can address football skills,etc when the season gets a little closer...it is only Feb. after all.

Good luck,
Matt O'Donnell

P.S. Read Pat's post really carefully and take it to heart! It's good advice!
Old 02-23-2005, 08:39 PM   #8
Ross Greenberg

Profile:

Try to find a way to do cleans, push presses, and squats on a regular basis with moderately heavy weights. Learn to explode with your hips. Practice sprinting. Do the WOD for your base of fitness.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:02 PM   #9
Justin Jacobsen

Profile:

Good advice from everybody, but I think they are forgetting that we are talking about a 15 year old guy.

Mark, buddy, I appreciate your desire to better yourself. Too many youngsters these days are content with their PS2. We do need to start you out on a more gradual path, though.

1. Since you are familiar with the Mod.1, continue to do that for now. Start right away! Begin doing the work as a 3-day on, 1 day off cycle. That will get you used to the CF standard. You will probably be sore for the 2nd and 3rd workouts, but you will get used to it. Just gut through it.

2. As we learned from Paul recently, you really need to get your parents on board with this. Explain to them what your goals are, how you plan on reaching them, and a little bit about our program here. Let them take a look at the site and encourage them to participate here to learn more. This is going to be a big factor when you start to modify your diet.

3. I'm really glad you acknowledge your weight problem Mark. That is going to be our A#1 goal here. You are at a perfect age to start a life of fitness and athletic performance. I know the majority of people here wish they could have started CF at 15. This is what we need to do to start: No more sugar! Non-negotiable. Stop eating it. It is terrible for you. That is not just sweets either. If it is packaged, look at the ingredients. If it says "high fructose corn syrup", that is sugar. Start cutting out breads, potatoes, and pastas as much as possible. Start eating 3 medium-small meals and 2 snacks per day. Try to eat before you get hungry. Eat lots of vegetables!

4. Start learning about the Zone way of eating. Take a look in the nutrition section, lots of info there. Try to get your parents to work through the book Enter the Zone by Barry Sears with you so you can come up with some workable ways to incorporate the diet into your life. Also, try to get the CF Journal already mentioned. Ask questions. Seek encouragement. This is going to be the hardest part, as it is for most of us.

5. Start learning CrossFit. Spend some time on the site. Read everything. Ask questions. Get familiar with the workouts. Start learning the different movements. Some of them are very technical, even some long time CFers are unable to perform some of them. This isn't a quick fix website. You are in for the long haul here. Start building the foundation that will take you through your life. BTW-did I say "Ask questions!"?

6. Take advantage of whatever coaching resources you have available. At least a high school gym coach I am assuming. Get whatever help you can on learning the core lifts. Deadlift, squat, clean&jerk, snatch, and anything else you find challenging. This will help you build a base level of good form that will serve you well throughout your life.

Most importantly, get active in something. Anything will be an improvement on where you are now. Then work on cleaning up your diet. If you are not eating a good breakfast, you are wrong. If you are drinking ANY soda, you are wrong. If you aren't drinking lots of water, you are wrong.

Lastly, remember this: Crossfit is designed to challenge elite athletes. The rest of us mere mortals have to make adjustments and build up gradually. Don't get discouraged. Good Luck!
Old 02-25-2005, 05:19 AM   #10
Matt O'Donnell

Profile:

Hey, really good post Justin!