CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
John DeMoss

Profile:
Can I compete?

I want to set a goal. I have worked out 4-6 days/week for the last year and consider myself one of the more fit people in my gym. There are some crossfit exercises I have not mastered, ie double unders, handstands, muscle ups, but I am sure I can get these down with a little effort. i have a decent frame and can build muscle fairly readily, with diet and effort.

that said. I want to make top 20 of the regionals next year. that gives me about 1 year of doing crossfit (with full dedication) to prep. is this reasonable? hard question to answer, but would love to get some thoughts.

i am relatively aware of crossfit, philosophy, exercises, etc. but have less experience doing most of the exercises. I am accustomed to high-intensity intervals but more often than not I've used body weight.

thanks in advance for any thoughts! PS I am still setting the goal regardless of what you say! ha.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Can I compete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DeMoss View Post
I want to set a goal. I have worked out 4-6 days/week for the last year and consider myself one of the more fit people in my gym. There are some crossfit exercises I have not mastered, ie double unders, handstands, muscle ups, but I am sure I can get these down with a little effort. i have a decent frame and can build muscle fairly readily, with diet and effort.

that said. I want to make top 20 of the regionals next year. that gives me about 1 year of doing crossfit (with full dedication) to prep. is this reasonable? hard question to answer, but would love to get some thoughts.

i am relatively aware of crossfit, philosophy, exercises, etc. but have less experience doing most of the exercises. I am accustomed to high-intensity intervals but more often than not I've used body weight.

thanks in advance for any thoughts! PS I am still setting the goal regardless of what you say! ha.
Only one way to find out.

What are some of your current strength numbers and benchmark workouts? Those will give you an idea of how close you are to being competitive.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Eric definitely put it best, you only know if you "can compete" only after you have competed.

If you want to make it to regionals, there are somethings you need to do. One thing, which is obvious, is train CrossFit and train hard. You need to be able to do almost everything that comes up i.e. what you posted: HSPU, double unders, etc. Train and become proficient with all movements.

The second, and I think most important thing, is actually compete. You will never know what competition is like spectating. Honestly, this is what benefitted me (not that I'm an amazing competitor/athlete) was to actually compete. You can be a bad*** in the garage but be a total fool when actually competing. I thought I was a BA going into my first competition and I came out of it really humbled. BOTTOM LINE: compete to get the feel of it, if you don't do as well as you had hoped, don't take it too hard, it's the experience that matters.

Basically, work and be proficient at the movements of CrossFit. Compete (hopefully more than once) between now and sectionals next year. Train hard.

How are your lifts and benchmark times looking? (Sorry to duplicate Eric's question)
Old 06-10-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
John DeMoss

Profile:

thanks guys for your comments. i am not sure yet, since i have not been doing really ANY of these olympic lifts. In the past week I have tried pathetically to see what my weights are. I did the Open WOD with the deadlifts/pushups and box jumps at about 8.5 sets... which is not that great per the rankings. However, I could not even do the 145 power cleans in #5 or 6... I had to scale to 135 to do any and ended up doing 125 just to work on my form, etc. before I maxed out my weight. For thrusters I was able to do about 5 with 95lbs. I did 3-4 headstand pushups.

So... pretty humbling. However, I am not a stranger to hard training (ie throwing up on occasion) and if I am systematic and approach it diligently over 12 months, it SEEMS doable? Do you think I'm shooting too high?

Also, for what it's worth, I recently had a VO2 test done and per the test my max is pretty high and my anaerobic and aerobic base are both higher and close together. room for improvement, but decent overall.

a fun journey! good tip about competing. do you mean official games of some sort, or maybe just betting $20 with a couple guys from the local affiliate?

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

You need to get really very super much more stronger than you are right now.

Your VO2 max is irrelevant when you can't do 145 lb power cleans.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:34 AM   #6
John DeMoss

Profile:

that's what i am saying. humbling. however, it may be because of my form? i benched 285 in high school (i am 29 now) and have a muscular frame. i was quite frankly very unhappily surprised to not be able to do it... but i would think i could move up to 145 in a few weeks... 12 months is a long time.

for example, i wasn't really doing the shrug thing.. i was just sort of lifting it up. i dont know if the jump or splits (or whatever you call it) makes it easier?
Old 06-10-2011, 03:58 AM   #7
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

I am not saying that you can't compete and make top 20 in Regionals next year, but I think you need more clearly defined goals based on the numbers that those people are putting up.

For example:
Deadlift something over 400 lbs
Squat something over 300 lbs
Clean and jerk something over 250 lbs
Snatch at least bodyweight

How realistic are those goals given your current numbers, and what programming are you going to utilize in order to achieve them?

And, then I would set benchmarks for things like consecutive pullups, muscle ups, double unders, and handstand pushups as well as some specific WODs.

What makes power cleans easier is actually learning how to power clean.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #8
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I am not saying that you can't compete and make top 20 in Regionals next year, but I think you need more clearly defined goals based on the numbers that those people are putting up.

For example:

How realistic are those goals given your current numbers, and what programming are you going to utilize in order to achieve them?

And, then I would set benchmarks for things like consecutive pullups, muscle ups, double unders, and handstand pushups as well as some specific WODs.

Truth.

You never answered Jake or Eric's question: what are you max lifts? (Deadlift, squat, press, c&j, snatch... ) Anything is possible, but if you can't c&j more than 145#, you've got a lot of work to do.

2 additional notes:

1) throwing up doesn't mean your training is improving or that you're doing anything right. I've never thrown up from a workout (and if anyone says THEN YOU HAVEN'T WORKED OUT HARD ENOUGH, I say to you, if you haven't peed your pants, then you haven't drank enough)

2) your frame is irrelevant.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
Joshua Desmond

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post

For example:

What Tamara said! And even with those numbers, you are still probably going to be hard pressed to finish in the top 20 in the Regionals, as there are some real fire breathers out there. Do not get me wrong, with those numbers you can still turn in a respectable performance, but that alone will not get you there. For reference, I meet all those standards that Tamara explained plus some. I can also perform every skill out there (although HSPU's are still a weakness) and only finished 29th last year at the Mid-Atlantic Hopper Challenge. Grant it I work out by myself in my home gym, and coaching really does make a difference, I am just stating by example that those numbers alone will not get you there. It will take a lot of time and dedication to be able to finish top 20 in regionals, you either have to be genetically gifted, a hard worker, or in most cases both.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
John DeMoss

Profile:

Thanks Tamara and Josh. I am not at those #s but am confident I could be with focus. Also I get the fact that it's not just about weight but many things. I also get that your main point is a good program with specified goals and a serious effort. I'm pretty good at those pieces and have good genetics. Excited about starting! I will have to try not to overtrain really.

No kidding, those top 20 guys are intense. A worthwhile goal... 2013 might be finals, or maybe top 10.

Anyone want to put any money on it? ;-) 3:1 odds? Ha