CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
Fan Yang

Profile:
Front Squat, Squat, and Crappy power cleans

I know I'm just not dipping on the powercleans, how do the front squat and back squat look? knees out too much? I'm doing them narrow stance with straight back, light weight

work/fam safe
Squat-165, about 55% max
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zXoDeV9Gjo

Front Squat-195, max around 230/240, not sure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEAKDXjjPE8

some awful cleans, basically pulling them to my neck level
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws2lBQV4gj0
Old 06-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Front Squat, Squat, and Crappy power cleans

Back squats--think about sitting back more, your knees are coming way too far forward. Plus you need to think about staying tighter with your lumbar curve at the bottom of each rep.

Front squats--looks like your heels are only about 4" apart, you'll want to go a little wider than that. Watch your knees coming too far forward on them too.

Power cleans--you jumped forward about 2-3" which is bad and is typically caused by one of a few things, letting the bar get too far forward or not getting your shoulders behind the bar before your jump/shrug being a few of the more common reasons. It almost looks like you're reverse curling it a little, which would explain the weight pulling you forward.

Those are just the first few things that jumped out to me, I'll defer to the more-experienced guys for more specific critiques.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
Tony Blanksteen

Profile:

starting with the the cleans:
when you catch the bar, do not shoot your hips forward. What is happening is your hips are moving forward and you end up leaning back. Not good. Drop straight down to receive the bar. I call it the "umpa-lumpa" or "polka" motion, straight down. Getting your elbows around faster is going to help with that as well.
Also right from the start, see if you can open your chest up and pull down with your lats. Do this however without flexing your traps.
observe:
http://athletesequation.com/images/clean.jpg (wfs), or even
http://catalystfitness.typepad.com/....ec91970b-800wi (wfs) although this one is a little much, this is what it will feel like.
Finally, turn around and face the camera for the cleans please!

front squats:
I agree with Eric, get your feet wider, at least shoulder width. Once you do that, get your elbows higher and chest more vertical. I also hope your head-phone wire is running down your back and not your chest, ouch.

bk sqts:
Get your feet a little wider as well. Shoulder width.

Nice ankle flexibility throughout though!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
Fan Yang

Profile:

thanks a lot, looking at some of my old tapes, my feet have been creeping together more and more.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
Fan Yang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Back squats--think about sitting back more, your knees are coming way too far forward. Plus you need to think about staying tighter with your lumbar curve at the bottom of each rep.
I've heard this critique a lot. I think I need to improve my ham flex to keep the lumbar curve, but the I've seen different things about knees over toes.

check this image out of some oly squatters

its from this youtube vid, w/f safe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_jxTc2ITA8

it seems like a vertical back almost requires significant knee over toes, what do you all think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	squat.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	6489  
Old 06-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Yang View Post
I've heard this critique a lot. I think I need to improve my ham flex to keep the lumbar curve, but the I've seen different things about knees over toes.

check this image out of some oly squatters

its from this youtube vid, w/f safe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_jxTc2ITA8

it seems like a vertical back almost requires significant knee over toes, what do you all think?

If you're squatting olympic high bar style, yes, you don't want to sit back that far, you push your hips down and keep your torso vertical. If your a beginner squatter though, this is tough to do because you're knees are gonna go forward, but you need to keep your weight on the heals. If you don't its pretty dangerous on the knees. Ankle flexibility is a must
Old 06-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
Jeff Schanz

Profile:

I think if you squatted a little farther back in your stance you'll find it easier to keep the heels on the ground at the very bottom.

The farther back you squat in your stance... it feels like lesser depth is achieved before you begin to feel a lesser than tight lumbar position. You'll hit less of the lower leg at the very bottom.

The farther up you squat in your stance the more upright the torso. Your own proportions decide this, you don't in the actual execution.

I think there is a little play room here in terms of squatting up or back in your stance and still be technically sound. But you have to stay on the heels at the bottom and stay tight in the lumbar area. If you keep the mind inside the hips, they usually find the optimal position. All things considered we'd be strongest squatting as far back as possible.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Jeff Schanz

Profile:

For what it's worth, I never discuss bar placement and its relevance toward technical execution, because once it's placed on the back it becomes an extention of the body.

There are so many body types that the same bar placement on two different people will create very different angles at the knees and hips. Besides, the same mental cues apply to execution regardless.

Just trying to make it as simple as possible.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
Fan Yang

Profile:

been on the semolov recently

I had captured these two vids...switched to flat shoes for the cycle, and knees are less far out now.

w/fs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmWgq5c6ICk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WtxLRCyzho

2nd one is off of a low box, but I wasn't trying to box squat per say
Old 07-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
Casey Raiford

Profile:

You're knee initiating the squats and starting the third pull early on the clean.

Focus on the hips going back on the squats rather than letting your legs scissor down. Engage the hamstgrings and posterior chain.

On the clean you're not hitting full extension on the second pull; get extended and upright before you start to dive under the bar.