CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-05-2007, 04:00 AM   #1
David Bott

Profile:
Another newbie, more newbie questions :)

Hey folks, I'm a 34 year old Aussie, near Sydney NSW, weekend warrior mtn biker, rock climber and martial artist (Jiu Jitsu). I've just finished my 3rd WOD and I can barely muster the energy to type this message! I do my workouts at home, and so far have had enough equipment to accomodate the WODs.

Anyway like all newbs I have some dumb questions I need sorting out... I have tried doing a search but wasn't altogether sure how to phrase it in the search bar.

So far I have been logging on to find the WOD, doing the "official" warm-up then onto the actual WOD. I'm not sure how the named workouts fit into the scheme of things just yet so I haven't worried about them. Am I going about this correctly?

Also I know you can scale exercises down, but I'm just wondering exactly how. E.g. today's WOD included 40 L pull ups in the first set, now there is no way I could do that. I could do maybe 10 at a stretch: so do I do 10, then rest, then more then rest etc until I hit 40?
Or do I do an easier version in order to complete 40 in one continous set?
Or do I do just the 10 then move on to the next exercise?

Today I just did 40 pullups with my feet on a chair, well more like 15, 15, 10 with small rests between, then straight onto the run, is this correct??

Sorry once again if this has been asked a thousand times already, but I'd like to be 100% sure I'm going about this the right way.

Thanks!

Oh and I now have my housemate onto this program, and it's starting to take off at the climbing gym I work at
Old 10-05-2007, 04:28 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Another newbie, more newbie questions :)

1. If you can do 10 you definitely don't need to scale. Break down the WOD into as many sets as you need to.

2. Depending on the WOD you're usually going to do all of one exercise, then go onto the next, etc.

3. Not really rocket science or anything. Just do what's posted up there in as little time as possible. Not many people can actually do the 40 pullups straight set so they're probably going to have to rest to get all of them.

4. Named workouts come up every once in a while.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:21 AM   #3
Lou Bahin

Profile:

Hey, I'm also a newbie transitioning from traditional weight lifting, training for rugby, etc., and was wondering if most everyone sticks to only the WOD or supplements WOD with related exercises from the list. For example, is it OK to do leg extensions/curls along with back squats - yesterday's WOD?

I'd like to stay well rounded, but avoid overuse injuries. I understand Garddawg's post about functional movements, variation, and intensity, and the workouts are great!

Related question: is there a list of substitutes for movements that may not be advisable for some - muscle ups, for example - or should I just suck it up?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
David Stout

Profile:

David:
I think following the daily posted WOD is definitely the best way to start up CrossFitting. And yes, you will likely be scaling them back for a while before completing them as written ("as Rx'd").

I also believe that properly scaling back a CrossFit WOD is somewhat of an art, and should really be done by somebody who's got a good grasp on CrossFit (e.g. a CrossFit instructor). I would highly recommend going to brandxmartialarts.com (WFS). Each of the daily WOD's are posted with scaled versions for different levels of athletes.

Lou:
The FAQ page has everything you'll need for substitutions when you run into equipment shortcomings, or even skill shortcomings.

Hope this helps,
David.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:00 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Lou: drop your leg extensions and curls.

Pullups are "curls" plus a whole cavort of back muscles.
Squats are leg extensions plus back stabilization and hip extension.

As for overuse.. provided you train smart (not too much, not too little) you'll be fine. No one can really specify what is too much or too little except you though. You're the only one with your particular genetics, sleep schedule, and training frequency and conditioning.. so you need to figure out your body. If WOD is too much, there's definitely ways to scale it.

Supplemental stuff.. depends on your goals among other things. Gotta be more specific than that.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:10 AM   #6
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:

Quote:
is it OK to do leg extensions/curls along with back squats - yesterday's WOD?
As far as doing other exercises on top of the WoD, yeah go for it if you've the time/energy left over. I'm looking to build up my abilities on the rings so I'll play with them.

But something related to the WoD, I wouldn't recommend. If the Wod called for Heavy Snatches I wouldn't be busting out heavy front squats as well.

Now, the exercises you named: these aren't what we label "functional movements" - machines isolate muscles and force them to work in a manner which they're not designed for. You lose the stabilising effect of having to control your centre of gravity or the weights.

In short, stay away from machines.

Colm
Old 10-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
Lou Bahin

Profile:

Excellent feedback - that helps a lot, specifically and conceptually!
Thanks everyone!
Old 10-06-2007, 01:31 AM   #8
David Bott

Profile:

Hey thanks for the help there guys... yeah I guess is makes sense to just rest mid set and do them in as little time as possible.... altho in some cases that's going to make for a very long session hehe.

I'll give it a go, I'm sure it's mostly a matter of just getting used to how things work and flow.

Thanks again