CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-01-2007, 06:49 AM   #1
Joe Birch

Profile:
Caloric Intake and Myofibrillar Strength

I've searched the forum and unable to find anything to answer my question specifically, so here go's.

I'm recovering from a broken arm and will have a period of about 4-6 weeks where I will be able to do full resistance training but won't be able to play full contact rugby.

I'm fairly experinced on mass gain programs and mass gain diets and have been doing some WOD's for some time (limited by arm at the mo) but during this period i'm going to do something similar to ME Black Box but replace the crossfit mostly with 4 rugby training sessions per week.

During this period my main goal is to increase strength as I have lost a lot with this injury but since I'm going to be training (rugby) a lot my other goal is to continue to increase fitness levels. So my question is can I eat maintainence/sub-maintainence calories and still achieve the same strength gains (using squats, cleans, thrusters, chins dips etc at low rep ranges) as if i ate in a mass gain style (calories over maintainence).

Preferably I'd like to continue losing weight by eating sub maintainence but if this will be largely detremental on my strength gains I will obvisouly sarcrifice and eat more so any opinions would be nice, thanks.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Caloric Intake and Myofibrillar Strength

Depends on your level of strength and BF%.

If you're decently strong and have a decent BF% then you can probably get a bit stronger while on a hypocaloric diet. If you're a beginner you can probably gain strength, but it will be slower than if you were on a hypercaloric diet. If your core lifts (squat, DL, bench) are pushing more than 2-2.5x bodyweight then you're probably going to maintain or lose strength.