CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
Shaun Williamson

Profile:
I would like to SLOWLY get my wife into the CF lifestyle. She is really out of shape and has put on quite a lot of weight over the last year. I've got her diet pretty much in the ZONE.

She has been doing the Elliptical for the last 2 weeks just trying to establish a routine. For the last week I've had her do more of an interval type workout on it. I would like for her to continue this for another week or two.

After that I would like to bring it up a notch.

What would be a good CF bodyweight circuit to introduce? I don't want to work her too hard at first...just want to build her confidence.

Old 03-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Shaun,
Sift through our forum. We have scaled WODs as well as some our trainers have made up. Should be some you can use.

http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16
Old 03-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Shaun Williamson

Profile:
Thanks Jeff!

Old 03-16-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Regarding your avatar. Please ignore the threads on our site about crossdressing monkey spies.:lol:
Old 03-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
Skip Chase

Profile:
Shaun,

Another suggestion for a slow start is to have your wife begin with the CF warmup. 3 rounds at 8 reps each and increase the reps as she improves. It is an easy way to focus on form and establish routine and confidence.
Skip Chase
Mt. Baker CrossFit
Mount Vernon, WA
www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 03-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #6
Shaun Williamson

Profile:
Great idea Skip, thanks!

Jeff..:-) I will remember to do that..hahaha!

"Regarding your avatar. Please ignore the threads on our site about crossdressing monkey spies."

Old 03-26-2006, 11:28 PM   #7
Ian Seronello

Profile:  
Hi all, first post. I am 20 years old and currently a full-time student at CSU Sacramento. I am considering joining the Army after I complete my B.S., but I am WAY out of shape. I am 5'9 214lbs. I would like utilize the Crossfit system, but I am unsure where to start. Would just doing the warmup for a while be sufficient to build a routine or is there an assortment of pre-Crossfit exercises in circulation? I have spent minimal time searching and have yet to come up with anything solid, and I was wondering if anyone had any information for me. I thank you all in advance.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:31 AM   #8
Matt McCollum

Profile:
Ian - I am a Crossfit rookie but have been in the Army for a while. The warm-up is a good place to start, but you will have to progress past that as soon as you are able. PT is mostly bodyweight exercises (push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, etc.) I think the WOD is great preparation for Basic but you should add some additional running too. I don't think you'll run more than 5 miles in Basic (usually under 3). You'll need to get your body used to that.

One thing you will also need to add is rucking (walking with a heavy backpack, carrying all your gear). If they haven't changed basic too much, you'll do a fair amount of rucking with the final road march of 12 miles with a 35-50lb ruck (in about 3-4 hours). It takes some getting used to.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:00 AM   #9
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:
For Both Shaun's wife aand Ian.

I agree that you should start with CFWU. If you are strict with form, and out of shape.....3 rounds of samson walks will lieave you shaky, But you can also push into scaled WOD's right away.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:40 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
The squat, deadlift and pull-up are all core movements for Crossfit. As a matter of fact most of CF exercises are based upon these three exercises: O-lifts, powerlifts, thrusters, wallball, rowing, box jumps, rope climbing, etc. Add the push press and you cover overhead lifting, diagnose MHF and have a base to do handstands and HSPUs. Metabolically, running - sprinting short distances up to 400m (for now) is a huge component of CF. Extra core work with the AbMat will help with all the above endeavors. These are the basics, form is very important so you have to be a form Nazi. Bands and jumping pull-ups will help with pull-ups, you could also give manual assistance. Diet is hugely important and should be optimized.