CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
Keith Hartley

Profile:
Introduction

Hi all,

I'm new to CrossFit, been doing the scaled down versions the last couple of weeks. I have lifted weights in some form for over 30 years, mostly the basics & O-lifts the last 5 years or so. I also mountain bike & downhill ski hard & often. Skied 70 days last season & mountain biked a ton last summer. I know sounds like a tough life
I own a small weightlifting club & have trained children as young as 6 & adults as old as 72 with good success. I'm considering adding some more CF orientated equip to my club, Chinning, dipping, ropes ect.
I had a serious groin pull in January & have been rehabing it for the last 2 months so the workouts have been light since then & worst of all no skiing. The groin is almost totally healed now so decided to give CF a try but have a few concerns.
Since I don't compete in lifting anymore my goal is to be strong & fit for sports, life & work. When I ski it's usually 4 or 5 hrs a day, biking is usually 2 to 3 hrs & work is 6 days on 6 off, 12 hr shifts.
With skiing or biking this hard is the WOD recommended?
Scale it down & more upper body than legs?
No cardio or heavy legs on these days?
I know in the past I've had to cut back on squats & number of wo's when skiing & biking hard.
I haven't run in years & running in the winter in the Great white north can be dangerous.
Is there any recommendation for biking times for the various running distances posted for the WOD?
Example: 800 meter run = biking for how many min.

I like the CF concept & enjoy the scaled down version of the WOD. The body weight exercises give me the hardest time, haven't done chins or dips in years.

Thanks for your help.

Keith
Old 03-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:
Re: Introduction

I generally don't have a problem going to CF in the morning and then skiing. If I am skiing 4 days in a row, I might take a day or two off crossfit towards the end, but you'll have to figure out your own recovery.

Similarly, I have no problems crossfitting in the morning and going mountain biking for 2-3 hours in the afternoon/evening. Eat well, listen to your body, and see how it goes.

Good luck.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Keith Hartley

Profile:
Re: Introduction

Thanks Jesse,

I've been skiing in the morning & working out in the afternoon. The 1st week I was sore everyday but this week feeling better.

Not too sure on the stationary bike times as compared to running as I haven't run in years.

This is what I did yesterday.
DL: 60 kg. 15,12,9
Bike: 2 min, 2 min, 3 min.
10:30, pretty easy wo but lower back sore from skiing so didn't go crazy on the DL.