CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
Steve Herman

Profile:
Starting out

Hey all,

I'm just starting the crossfit routine and way of life..

Haven't lifting in about a year and ready to get started again. I tried the CF warm up today but I didnt get the pull ups or dips in , just here at home on saturday and didn't make it into a gym to sign up this morning. But I'll tell you that warm up had sweating and ready to drink a bunch of water... I must be really out of shape.

Anyway a little about me , 21, 165# , lifeguard last summer, doing it again this summer. I think I'd like to set a goal of running a 5k hopefully by the end of the summer or get involved in some type of mma. I'd like to get into chiropractic or maybe some alternate power .. maybe a labor skill type of job.. still unsure.

Looking to join a gym monday and start logging my workouts and following the WOD's.

Quick question: Since these warmup's are getting me sweaty and windy, how should I go about looking at the WOD's?? Should I be feeling completely exhausted by the end of these workouts this first week or so...
Old 03-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
Alex Europa

Profile:
Re: Starting out

Be careful which gym you chose. For example, some gyms don't allow you to lift anything overhead - which is about 1/2 of the CrossFit programming - so that definitely won't work. Also, if you walk in and it's a sea of machines with 1 squat rack and no pullup bar, you definitely need to go elsewhere. Depending on your dedication/schedule you could head over to CrossFit Rockford (W/F/S) a few times per week. The instruction and group setting of a CrossFit affiliate is something that you truly must experience to appreciate and in my opinion is WELL worth the drive.

As for the CFWU and WODs, scale down everything (Brand X - W/F/S) and simply work your way up. Also, remember the CrossFit mantra:

Mechanics/Technique ---> Consistancy ---> Intensity

Yes, you'll be tired/winded/sweaty after the CFWU but give yourself a few minutes to recover then do the WOD.

- Alex
Old 03-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Steve Herman

Profile:
Re: Starting out

Thanks for the information Alex.

I was thinking about checking out the Snap fitness that just came to the local town here and is open 24hours and I'll check the rules and equipment out. If not I can go to the local high school where it's open to the public for a fee, although snap is cheaper.

I sent an email to the Crossfit Rockford about a week ago and haven't heard back, I've been thinking about stopping in, its on my way back from college and over the summer I just found out it is about two blocks away from where I work.

Woke up this morning pretty sore from just the CFWU haha, got it done again today. Tomorrow I'm checking out the gyms. Also cutting back on my chocolate and pop