CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-16-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
I'm wanting to see better results in my performance. Can supplements help this or should I perfect my diet first?
Old 11-16-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
diet first, if you are eating correctly you should not need to rely on supplements.
with that being said i would recommend fish oil/and maybe look into digestive enzymes and probiotics. RESEARCH! use the search function there is a ton of info on this, also look into the crossfit journals if you have not already.

(Message edited by jcraw1028 on November 16, 2006)
Old 11-16-2006, 09:48 PM   #3
Jeff Dale

Profile:
Discussed recently here:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/32482.html
Old 11-17-2006, 06:41 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Food is 90% of your results....spend your money there...the other 10% is if you have money left over.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
Skip Chase

Profile:
There is a lot of OPINION regarding supplementation. I take supplements daily and I am endorser for a supplement company. Many people do not get the required nutrition from the food they eat.

I take non-steroidal performance products and I 'feel' the difference.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 11-17-2006, 12:59 PM   #6
Sam Lepore

Profile:
Skip--

What Supplements do you take?
Old 11-17-2006, 01:01 PM   #7
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
Many people do not get the required nutrition from the food they eat.

Skip, i think that a lot of people here on the board would disagree with you on that comment. If you follow a paleo type diet, you should meet all the required nutrients that your body needs. And in most cases if your not, a supplementation of a multi-vitamin will cover all of your basis.

And what do you mean by "I 'feel' the difference.? Meaning you lift heavier? endurance is higher?
Old 11-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #8
Skip Chase

Profile:
Charles-on this board and any board people will disagree. At the same time, some will agree. There are others on this board who endorse and take the same supps as I. Everyone is entitled to voice their opinion. I have mine, based on experience and I am opened minded to listen to others. However, I prefer to listen to knowledge/experience based opinions.

I don't know you, nor your experience with nutrition/supplementation. I am only able to determine that you are 20, a server/trainer and you registered on this board 7 months ago. Perhaps you have been a performance athlete and eating Paleo since birth...I don't know!

At the age of 50, I made a decision to attempt to set a world record. The attempt would be a 24 hour effort requiring physical and mental 'toughness'. I realized I would have to be in top condition, and I also realized the benefit of supplementation. I began calling major manuf. EAS, Apex, MetRx, etc. Each gave me a shopping list of products to take.

Unfortunately, nothing changed.

I learned of a different supp company and called them. The next day I received a call from Bert Hill (former S&C coach at Texas A&M and the Detroit Lions) and Steve Watterson (S&C coach-Tenn Titans) They both made supp and training recommendations. I LISTENED!! I was sent products, and from the 1st day, I felt a difference....every aspect of my 'being' improved. Performance and attitude.

During the record attempt, they told me to take certain products on a time table. Again, I listened and I achieved the goal.

That is what I experienced, and I have watched others benefit from supps.

Supps are in every University and pro sport training rooms. They are in the Olympic training camps.

They work for me, and that is all I care about.

Peter-send me an email or private message for info.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com

Old 11-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
If you had the extra money around after getting quality foods....supplements can give you a boost in recovery and increase in performance....but your whole foods need to be maximized first.

Then you can worry about:
L-Glutamine
Protein Powders (I use it cause I am not cooking all day)
ZMA
Creatine
Green Powders
(and I am not even talking about the essentials...of fish oil, dig enzymes and probiotics...yep I know...I am selling them again. :biggrinthumb: but at least didnt even mention the contrast showers...)

Mitchell you can use a supplement for only 3 reasons:
1) to improve overall health (anti-inflammation with fish oil, dig enzymes for digestion, etc...)
2) to increase performance during a workout to get more stimulus to your muscles (aka lift more weight)...mine is an Americano from Starbucks.
3) to increase recovery and repair from the stimulus applied above for maximum muscle repair in the shortest amount of time. That means you can increase your volume, reduce recovery time and start the cycle all over with 100% effort for the next workout. Volume+max stimulus will give you optimal results.

So:
Spend on food first (gives you the first 85% of your results)....get the basic essentials for improved health, then if you want to get other supplements go ahead (the other 15%)
Old 11-17-2006, 10:11 PM   #10
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
Skip,
I am sorry if my comment came across a little harsh, no harm intended. You are right, i am 20 years of age a server at night and a trainer by day. I am a year and a half from having my masters in exercise physiology at the university of central florida. I currently own my own business, and was a former member of the olympic development team for florida soccer.
I commend you on your world breaking feats, and know that must of been a tuff task. I am in no means trying to degrade you at all for taking supplements and know that everyones goals are different meaning that every bodys diet will vary.

I can say that when i was younger and less informed about nutrition, i tried nearly every supplement that i could imagine. Everything from t-bomb to NO2. Nothing ever seemed to work. Until about 2 years ago when i switched my diet to more of a paleo type diet, is when i saw the best results.

I think that mike says it best, that 85% of your food intake or basic essentials should come from food first. Then possiably supplementation, if necessary.

Again i didnt mean any harm, and i am sorry if i offended you in any way.. And your right that everyone has a right to voice there opinion. That is what is so great about this board!