CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-20-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
Ted Williams

Profile:
I searched the forums (when is this place switching to vBulliten anyhow? the current search is kind of...obtuse) but didn't find much posted on this. I use to drink soy milk, and after reading all the stuff that's been presented here about soy, well, I'm staying away from it. I use to use it as a quick part of a snack, so I switched to organic milk...but I've never been able to drink much milk. I'm not completely allergic to it, but I know it makes me bloated and feeling funky. SO...I'm thinking of switching to rice milk. Any ideas how that fairs?
Old 01-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Ted-

Most of these "milks" have a load of sugar or they taste pretty awful. If you are not drinking much one way or the other I guess it is a toss-up between cow-milk bloat or possible issues with "other" milks.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Rice milk is very sugary, high glycemic response. Almond milk? I was thinking about giving that a shot.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
Lisa Sorbo

Profile:
if you want something on cereal, rice or almond "milk" might would probably be fine. If you're trying to avoid milk sugar (lactose), you might prefer cream cut with water for that sort of application.

if you are looking for a well-rounded snack - might do better eating it rather than drinking it. Or if you really want to drink your snack, what about a whey or mixed protein shake?
Old 01-20-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
Sheila Gruenwald

Profile:
Ted, Like yourself I do not drink cows milk-go figure I am not a cow!!! lol I have not bought totally into the soya thing. I believe that everthing in moderation. I have also spoken to the health food stores in town and they seem to think the same. I believe the soya scare is for those who use it too much..
I have used almond milk- handful of almonds in water a swirl in the blender and you have it. My concern is that it would put the Zone diet out of proportion as you need a fair few nuts to make it taste good-and a shot of vanilla. I don't know if you eat cereal or not but juice on it is good. (I only eat my homemade granola on occasion but it works well)or make crunchy yogurt. lol (toss your cereal into your yogurt)

Just some ideas hope they help

sheila
Old 01-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #6
Clay Jones

Profile:

Ted, I went through the exact same progression, switched from soy to organic milk--and had an immediate allergic reaction to organic milk. I don't think rice milk is much better, for the reasons Robb pointed out, plus rice is a type of grain, and I try and avoid all grain products*. I have been drinking some almond milk for the past few months, and it seems OK. The almond milk sold at Trader Joes has little sugar added to it, I believe (I'll check that to make sure), you could give it a try.

*but I do like a beer every now and then, so I guess I'm a big hypocrite!
Old 01-20-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
Ted Williams

Profile:
Thanks for the suggestions...I clean forgot of the other "milks" out there. I bought some almond milk on the way home, and some unsweetened cocoa...not the healthiest snack, but I like a glass now and again to help ease me off my chocolate addiction!

Sheila, I agree on the soy scare...but I was drinking it quite a lot...not really good for the zone, among other things.

Clay...my wife and I have switched to only having wine on the weekends. Since getting sick after drinking beer (not the beer's fault, had the flu) after thanksgiving, haven't been able to drink beer...starting to really look forward to Wine Weekends though...my wife seems to dislike it because after 2 glasses I fall asleep on the couch ....

Ted
Old 01-20-2006, 10:24 PM   #8
Sheila Gruenwald

Profile:
Ted,

If you are buying almond milk how do you know how much almonds you are actually getting. It is super easy to make it and it tastes pretty good. Just think of it as a drink rather than milk... smile

sheila
Old 01-20-2006, 11:07 PM   #9
Ted Williams

Profile:
Good point...I like the idea of making things myself anyhow. I'll give it a try!

Ted
Old 01-21-2006, 05:50 PM   #10
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
Another "milk" option is coconut. I've never tried it with cereal. As far as I know, it's pure paleo, and is one of the few sources of medium-chain triglycerides available.