CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #811
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

I have a question, any Regional judges may be able to know for sure:

From the website, re: Event 4:

Quote:
Burpees
...The athlete must jump over the barbell from both feet and land on both feet. One-footed jumping or stepping over is not permitted...
I know I saw reps where the athlete very definitely either jumped off one foot, or landed one-two, not as their constant method, but later, when tired, I saw it. This is visually very distinct, I judged a couple people on 14.5. You would think with a judge who isn't running back and forth, they're only judging the front squat and these burpees, you'd see it caught, but I saw several slip without a 'no-rep.' Was this, in fact, an enforced standard, or was it amended for Regionals?
Old 06-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #812
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
I have a question, any Regional judges may be able to know for sure:

From the website, re: Event 4:

I know I saw reps where the athlete very definitely either jumped off one foot, or landed one-two, not as their constant method, but later, when tired, I saw it. This is visually very distinct, I judged a couple people on 14.5. You would think with a judge who isn't running back and forth, they're only judging the front squat and these burpees, you'd see it caught, but I saw several slip without a 'no-rep.' Was this, in fact, an enforced standard, or was it amended for Regionals?
It was supposed to be enforced as you described it.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #813
Lance Bremer

Profile:

I saw the two-foot jump/landing standard enforced a few times. The one I specifically remember was Froning. He just repeated the jump properly and kept moving.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #814
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

I'll have to try to remember which region, specifically, I was watching. I'm pretty sure I saw an athlete, clearly tired, do one of each, a one-foot takeoff to two-foot landing, but then a two-foot takeoff to one-foot landing, and I didn't notice a no-rep call. It was somewhat quick, kinda tap-tap, not crazy egregious, but it struck me watching. Not a huge deal, I guess I just wanted to know for myself, that there wasn't a late rule change, and that is still considered the standard for a BF burpee.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #815
Springer Blankenship

Profile:

Would love to see the rules enforced the same around the regionals but just like in pro sports every referee or judge is going to call it a small amount different. Although I think the rule probably should have been both feel must be off the ground at the same time. Who cares if you want to jump from one side to the other with one foot as long as you have both feet off the ground at the same time and aren't stepping.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #816
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer Blankenship View Post
Would love to see the rules enforced the same around the regionals but just like in pro sports every referee or judge is going to call it a small amount different. Although I think the rule probably should have been both feel must be off the ground at the same time. Who cares if you want to jump from one side to the other with one foot as long as you have both feet off the ground at the same time and aren't stepping.
I respectfully disagree, only because of the realization that, when I get tired, I definitely WANT to go one-footed, which conversely tells me, maintaining a two-footed takeoff and landing IS harder, and is therefore, a more demanding standard.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #817
Michael Cook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Spaight View Post
Which female pro athletes from sports other than CF do you think would have done well at the regionals?

And would they have made Mark's power trio list?
To do well at Regionals you would have to be able to do a body weight hang snatch, handstand walk at least 100 feet unbroken, have enough upper body strength to do strict HSPU, ring dips and legless rope climbs, have enough mobility to do pistols and OHS, and be able to do muscle ups and have enough cardio to keep going through a 21 minute high intensity workout.

I don't think you'd be able to find a professional athlete - male or female - outside of crossfit who would have those all those skills.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #818
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Easily could be done by many decath/hepathletes.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #819
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
To do well at Regionals you would have to be able to do a body weight hang snatch, handstand walk at least 100 feet unbroken, have enough upper body strength to do strict HSPU, ring dips and legless rope climbs, have enough mobility to do pistols and OHS, and be able to do muscle ups and have enough cardio to keep going through a 21 minute high intensity workout.

I don't think you'd be able to find a professional athlete - male or female - outside of crossfit who would have those all those skills.
You forget the majority of pro athletes are extremely athletic, and therefore can pick up new things. A lot of the things you mention are skills people have learned. Strict HSPU how many people do these on a regular basis outside of crossfit? OHS same question, MU same question.

Also these are people who make a living of being in shape for a sport/game etc...I sincerely think you are either delusional or underestimating many pro athletes.

I guarantee many pro athletes could learn and excel after getting proper coaching on skills they don't know yet. Although there is a line drawn...aka a Lineman from any O line or D line will more then likely not be able to do most of these.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #820
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
You forget the majority of pro athletes are extremely athletic, and therefore can pick up new things. A lot of the things you mention are skills people have learned. Strict HSPU how many people do these on a regular basis outside of crossfit? OHS same question, MU same question.

Also these are people who make a living of being in shape for a sport/game etc...I sincerely think you are either delusional or underestimating many pro athletes.

I guarantee many pro athletes could learn and excel after getting proper coaching on skills they don't know yet. Although there is a line drawn...aka a Lineman from any O line or D line will more then likely not be able to do most of these.
While this may be true this is VERY dependant on the sport the Pro athlete is from. Many pro athletes would have zero chance picking up and mastering these skills. Which pro sports?