CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #691
Adam Manery

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
I'd find that hard to believe...guy looks the same as last year, not to mention being 2 inches shorter then a guy like Bailey who's 180, and he dwarfs him...makes me not really believe that.

I also think it would run against his nature, the vibe I get from him is that he doesn't think you have to be 185-195 to win the Games like pretty much all the champions have been and that he can win it at his size, also I think it would play against what he's best at, grinders, long brutal workouts.

my 2 cents.

http://games.crossfit.com/athlete/124483 wfs

His personal crossfit page states 170 lbs so clearly he is at least in that range. 170 lbs really isn't massive, even for his height. Like you said, I don't think that he thinks that he needs to be 185-195 but that is a looooot different than 170-175
Old 05-28-2014, 12:02 AM   #692
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
Kahlipa did great on the row at the Games last year and at the Burden run, so he has got a great engine. However, he could get bogged down on the 50 ring dips. If he can maintain his lead through the dips, then he'll win the 50's.

OHS at the very end might be problematic for him. There have been a number of competitors who have dropped out of Games qualifying spots due to the OHS.
Looking back at 14.5 we know it is going to be tough for him. DB was in the lead for a while in 50's and then he dropped off.

Even event 7 is going to test him.... the rope will be the issue and not the OHS.

But one thing we can say it is going to be exciting.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #693
Mario Beltran

Profile:

Spealler will have it quite difficult, South West is a stacked region. With Hackenbruck and Conway going individual, Egyed, Burke, Hatchcock,... there is a lot of experience.

In Norcal I hope for Fisher and Blair Morisson. Blair is just a great guy. Khalipa will win though, that seams to be pretty clear. Well, you never know, looking over to the girls there are some pretty big names out.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:16 AM   #694
Alex Burden

Profile:

Spealler should make it.....

But it only takes one bad event to blow it... just look at Sam Briggs
Old 05-28-2014, 04:28 AM   #695
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
he already did 270 here and that was almost 6 months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zllmWryoq3k

link is NSFW, Jason drops an f bomb at the end.
The thing he will have trouble with is the size of the platform at regionals, if you watch in the video more often then not he lands in the bottom position on his toes and winds up running forward with it on his way up.

Btw how big is the platform and how did they decide on the size? I found it looked kind of small/tight for the athletes.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:00 AM   #696
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Ben Smith was at a local event here in VA last year. I was standing next to him at one point and he is not a big guy (I am not either) and to the point made earlier it is amazing to see how strong he is for his size and build. Yes, he is thick and athletic but damn, he is a freak. My coach went to regionals last year so I was there. Watching Ben hit 25x4 CTB pull ups in the 100's wod (after 100 wall balls) was pretty silly.

I also recently went to the MDUSA open Olympic lifting meet and got to watch and meet many of the lifters. James Tatum weighed in at like 171 pounds I think...I watched him on Friday hitting like under his max loads in prep for the meet. 300-325lbs plus on clean and jerks like they were nothing...for multiples. Yes, built thick but again, a total freak.

I like to watch MMA and at times my wife will watch. I ask her to pick who she thinks will win and she usually picks based on the appearance of the fighter...she is usually wrong
Old 05-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #697
Springer Blankenship

Profile:

I am originally from Northern California right up the road from Blair Morrison and love the way he trains, outdoors and fun. So I would obviously love to see Blair make it back to the games.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #698
Andrew Scheid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Beltran View Post
Spealler will have it quite difficult, South West is a stacked region. With Hackenbruck and Conway going individual, Egyed, Burke, Hatchcock,... there is a lot of experience.

In Norcal I hope for Fisher and Blair Morisson. Blair is just a great guy. Khalipa will win though, that seams to be pretty clear. Well, you never know, looking over to the girls there are some pretty big names out.
I agree in the SW, it's going to be a dog fight. Fjord will be a tough out too.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #699
Michael Cook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Roberts View Post
IMO, it makes a difference. If Stacy Tovar competed at the last weekend of regionals, and saw how far the legit athletes were walking on their hands, don't you think she'd have dedicated a lot of time to it (in the additional 4 weeks of prep time she would have) and had a better score?
The people competing in later Regionals will have more time practicing HS walk, strict HSPU, legless rope climbs and heavy OHS than people competing in earlier Regionals - but the same amount of time as all their competitors for the same Region.

So if Tovar and Briggs were competing in a later regionals, they may have been able to practice more and gone a little farther on the HS walk, but so would everyone else in their region. So I would expect they would probably place the same.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #700
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

It's Khalipa. Goodness gracious.

K H A L I P A

- Mark