CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #681
Jason A Smith

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Khalipa will be first off the rower and never look back.

My guess he will walk away from everyone at the Norcal Regional, Fischer included. Not sure about the Games though. The volume seemed to catch up with him last year on Sunday and he is very busy with his affiliates and a new addition to his family.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #682
Jason Falcon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
Just have to make this comment re: Mid Atlantic. My first in-person CF competition (aside from a small local competition), and it is truly amazing to see the abilities and capacities of these athletes. Many, many athletes are of, I'll say, an "envious" build: broad, muscular, lean, what most people would look at and just go, "wow, they're bad ***." There are exceptions on either end; Gretchen Kittleberger would probably strike most as carrying too much weight, Anna Tunnicliffe looks too skinny to compete on strength stuff...yet they both are obviously still well-rounded.

However, there isn't anyone quite so "mismatched" as Ben Smith. Schrader is a 6'2" sculpture, Troyan is a power plug of lean muscle, there was one guy Tyler Cox who looked like a physique model damn near. And they're all chasing - futilely, may I add - a guy who probably wouldn't get picked for kickball on the playground. He just looks so "normal," and yet wins Events 1 (280#!!!) 3 and 4, and two seconds from winning Event 7. It's just kind of astounding.
+1,000

That what amazes me about Crossfit. When I wrestled it was very similar, you could line up 10 individuals and be asked to rank their ability based on their looks/physique, and you'd never be correct. You truly cannot judge a book by it's cover.

Ben Smith is an absolute freak. His brother is the same way (look out for him next year/in a couple years...). And I constantly forget how young he is. In my mind, I'm still somewhat young (27), I think Ben is 23 or 24. His composure is amazing also. He just doesn't get rattled, and seems to have an innate ability to know when he's behind and needs to rally.

Oh and as far as Gretchen, she's amazing as well. Gymnastics and/or swimming seem to be two sports that make the transition to CF that much easier. (And I don't mean to discredit the work they've put in when I say "easier", just easier in terms of the foundation is already there compared to someone starting green). She's definitely still got the body of a gymnast and is silly strong.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #683
Michael Cook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
I think the 50s are really going to test Kalipha and this might be the one that messes it up for him.

But I am hoping Fischer and Kalipha make it to keep it exciting and anyone else is ok with me.
Kahlipa did great on the row at the Games last year and at the Burden run, so he has got a great engine. However, he could get bogged down on the 50 ring dips. If he can maintain his lead through the dips, then he'll win the 50's.

OHS at the very end might be problematic for him. There have been a number of competitors who have dropped out of Games qualifying spots due to the OHS.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #684
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I presume that Events 1 and probably 7 (with the 205# OHS) will be a challenge for him

- Mark
Event 7 almost knocked Dan BAiley out ! if he had anyone closer he would have been toast

Your right, i think event 7 will be tough for Chris, he could easily lose 10 to 15 pts against the other Top 5 (assuming he is in the Top 5 at that point)

How much does Spealler weight compared to Josh bridges ?
Old 05-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #685
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
Just have to make this comment re: Mid Atlantic. My first in-person CF competition (aside from a small local competition), and it is truly amazing to see the abilities and capacities of these athletes. Many, many athletes are of, I'll say, an "envious" build: broad, muscular, lean, what most people would look at and just go, "wow, they're bad ***." There are exceptions on either end; Gretchen Kittleberger would probably strike most as carrying too much weight, Anna Tunnicliffe looks too skinny to compete on strength stuff...yet they both are obviously still well-rounded.

However, there isn't anyone quite so "mismatched" as Ben Smith. Schrader is a 6'2" sculpture, Troyan is a power plug of lean muscle, there was one guy Tyler Cox who looked like a physique model damn near. And they're all chasing - futilely, may I add - a guy who probably wouldn't get picked for kickball on the playground. He just looks so "normal," and yet wins Events 1 (280#!!!) 3 and 4, and two seconds from winning Event 7. It's just kind of astounding.
yeah Ben Smith really doesn't look like he can pull the numbers he is pulling which i think is just awesome. he looks like your average guy who is in decent shape. put him next to Froning or Jason or pretty much any other top level CF'er and he looks so out of place yet he has no problem pulling their number or even more.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #686
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

i'm not eyeing the scale over his (Spealler) shoulder when he weighs in, but i guess no more then 155, he's pretty slightly built.

Totally agree on the ben smith comment, my wife said even his name is so average sounding (on top of his physique compared to some of the other athletes)

I did also notice that the athletes in europe and Canada tended to be slightly lighter in comparison, or if not lighter, they carried less muscle and you could see a difference versus a lot of the american competitors.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #687
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Pegrum View Post
Event 7 almost knocked Dan BAiley out ! if he had anyone closer he would have been toast

Your right, i think event 7 will be tough for Chris, he could easily lose 10 to 15 pts against the other Top 5 (assuming he is in the Top 5 at that point)

How much does Spealler weight compared to Josh bridges ?
Spealler is 150lbs at 5'5". Josh is 160 or so at 5'5" (this is from Rogue so hopefully the weight is still accurate).
Old 05-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #688
Snir Golan

Profile:

btw, since someone mentioned Ben's brother, i agree. my guess in 1-2 years he will simply blow up on the scene and will be a top name. he is younger but already pulling amazing numbers and since he has been training with Ben, you know that he will have what it takes.

325bs power clean, 325+ clean and jerk, 350 FS, 400+ BS,30 unbroken bar muscles ups and many other amazing feats all at a crazy 170lbs body weight!!!
Old 05-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #689
Adam Manery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
Spealler is 150lbs at 5'5". Josh is 160 or so at 5'5" (this is from Rogue so hopefully the weight is still accurate).
I recall hearing that Bridges is up to 170+ now but don't quote me on that.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #690
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Manery View Post
I recall hearing that Bridges is up to 170+ now but don't quote me on that.
I'd find that hard to believe...guy looks the same as last year, not to mention being 2 inches shorter then a guy like Bailey who's 180, and he dwarfs him...makes me not really believe that.

I also think it would run against his nature, the vibe I get from him is that he doesn't think you have to be 185-195 to win the Games like pretty much all the champions have been and that he can win it at his size, also I think it would play against what he's best at, grinders, long brutal workouts.

my 2 cents.