CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #671
Snir Golan

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
I think the 50s are really going to test Kalipha and this might be the one that messes it up for him.

But I am hoping Fischer and Kalipha make it to keep it exciting and anyone else is ok with me.
i think that Kahlipa will do awesome in the 50's workout. despite what people think, kalipha has a hell of an engine as he proved before in long events such as the half marathon row, the burden run and the 2007 workout.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #672
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Roberts View Post
Tons of talk about the wild card situation.

My bigger gripe is the amount of time between the first regionals weekend, and the last. Everyone competing in the last weekend, has a lot more time to prepare, and has a huge benefit of seeing all previous weekends compete, and how the events shake out. I bet a LOT of people saw weekend one, and started dedicating a lot of time to the handstand walk.

I just went back and watched the socal 1/2. I just watched the final heat for the men and women. I wanted to see at least one of Lauren Fisher's lifts, and they didn't show a single one lol. They were focused on LV and the other lady putting up serious weight. Bummer.
Its a problem in every sport, the cameras have to follow the action...most people want to see big hits, or the heaviest weights, fastest times, etc...unfortunately it sucks but such is life.

I was going to ask about that...why are regionals split up so much? Is there a reason they can't all be done on the same weekend?

I also agree about the 50s probably being the place where Khalipa struggles the most he has an engine but bodyweight stuff isn't his forte, on the other hand he's never look super graceful during his barbell lifts so I don't know how he'll fair in the Snatch 1RM either.

I don't think Spealler will make it either but if he does I think he'll be #3.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #673
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
Its a problem in every sport, the cameras have to follow the action...most people want to see big hits, or the heaviest weights, fastest times, etc...unfortunately it sucks but such is life.

I was going to ask about that...why are regionals split up so much? Is there a reason they can't all be done on the same weekend?

I also agree about the 50s probably being the place where Khalipa struggles the most he has an engine but bodyweight stuff isn't his forte, on the other hand he's never look super graceful during his barbell lifts so I don't know how he'll fair in the Snatch 1RM either.

I don't think Spealler will make it either but if he does I think he'll be #3.
my guess is that the regionals are split that way due to cost. the way they have it now is that the gear travels from one regionals to the other. if they do them all the same weekend, you will need 4x the amount of gear, 4x the amount of staffing and logistics are going to be a nightmare.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #674
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
my guess is that the regionals are split that way due to cost. the way they have it now is that the gear travels from one regionals to the other. if they do them all the same weekend, you will need 4x the amount of gear, 4x the amount of staffing and logistics are going to be a nightmare.
That's probably spot-on.

- Mark
Old 05-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #675
Jason Fischer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
I think the only place Khalipa will come close to struggling in the 50s is the ring dips. Also, just looking at results from the games last year, he struggled on "Legless" (27th) so the ropeclimb/sprint may be a struggle. That said, he seems to figure out what his weaknesses are and attack them during the off season. I could see him struggle and I could see him winning it.

Regardless of what his barbell lifts look like, he's crazy strong. I'm betting 265+ for his hang snatch.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #676
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Fischer View Post
I think the only place Khalipa will come close to struggling in the 50s is the ring dips. Also, just looking at results from the games last year, he struggled on "Legless" (27th) so the ropeclimb/sprint may be a struggle. That said, he seems to figure out what his weaknesses are and attack them during the off season. I could see him struggle and I could see him winning it.

Regardless of what his barbell lifts look like, he's crazy strong. I'm betting 265+ for his hang snatch.
he already did 270 here and that was almost 6 months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zllmWryoq3k

link is NSFW, Jason drops an f bomb at the end.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #677
Miles Roberts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
see but it makes no difference since they are not competing against earlier regionals, they are only competing against the other athletes in their region. and this is also why looking at cross regions scores is not really a good thing.
IMO, it makes a difference. If Stacy Tovar competed at the last weekend of regionals, and saw how far the legit athletes were walking on their hands, don't you think she'd have dedicated a lot of time to it (in the additional 4 weeks of prep time she would have) and had a better score?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #678
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
IMO, it makes a difference. If Stacy Tovar competed at the last weekend of regionals, and saw how far the legit athletes were walking on their hands, don't you think she'd have dedicated a lot of time to it (in the additional 4 weeks of prep time she would have) and had a better score?
i really don't to be honest. everybody had plenty of time to get ready and especially in the handstand, i don't think that these people failed because of they didn't have an extra 3 weeks to get ready. Briggs and Tovar both know how to walk on their hand, they have done it before many times including in the games last year. i think that no matter when the regional is, the results would have been the same because the competition would have been the same. Tivar didn't qualify because she didn't perform as well as she should have, simple as that.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #679
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Tons of talk about the wild card situation.
Castro said it this weekend that unless you were the winner of Regionals (and within the number that your regions is sending to the games) you won't be going. No special invites this year, period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9mc...are&t=2h27m16s (NOT wfs, dave drops an f bomb)
Old 05-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #680
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Just have to make this comment re: Mid Atlantic. My first in-person CF competition (aside from a small local competition), and it is truly amazing to see the abilities and capacities of these athletes. Many, many athletes are of, I'll say, an "envious" build: broad, muscular, lean, what most people would look at and just go, "wow, they're bad ***." There are exceptions on either end; Gretchen Kittleberger would probably strike most as carrying too much weight, Anna Tunnicliffe looks too skinny to compete on strength stuff...yet they both are obviously still well-rounded.

However, there isn't anyone quite so "mismatched" as Ben Smith. Schrader is a 6'2" sculpture, Troyan is a power plug of lean muscle, there was one guy Tyler Cox who looked like a physique model damn near. And they're all chasing - futilely, may I add - a guy who probably wouldn't get picked for kickball on the playground. He just looks so "normal," and yet wins Events 1 (280#!!!) 3 and 4, and two seconds from winning Event 7. It's just kind of astounding.