CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #671
Snir Golan
Member Snir Golan is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 752
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
I think the 50s are really going to test Kalipha and this might be the one that messes it up for him.

But I am hoping Fischer and Kalipha make it to keep it exciting and anyone else is ok with me.
i think that Kahlipa will do awesome in the 50's workout. despite what people think, kalipha has a hell of an engine as he proved before in long events such as the half marathon row, the burden run and the 2007 workout.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #672
Drew Cloutier
Member Drew Cloutier is offline
 
Drew Cloutier's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kingston  ON Canada
Posts: 1,067
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Roberts View Post
Tons of talk about the wild card situation.

My bigger gripe is the amount of time between the first regionals weekend, and the last. Everyone competing in the last weekend, has a lot more time to prepare, and has a huge benefit of seeing all previous weekends compete, and how the events shake out. I bet a LOT of people saw weekend one, and started dedicating a lot of time to the handstand walk.

I just went back and watched the socal 1/2. I just watched the final heat for the men and women. I wanted to see at least one of Lauren Fisher's lifts, and they didn't show a single one lol. They were focused on LV and the other lady putting up serious weight. Bummer.
Its a problem in every sport, the cameras have to follow the action...most people want to see big hits, or the heaviest weights, fastest times, etc...unfortunately it sucks but such is life.

I was going to ask about that...why are regionals split up so much? Is there a reason they can't all be done on the same weekend?

I also agree about the 50s probably being the place where Khalipa struggles the most he has an engine but bodyweight stuff isn't his forte, on the other hand he's never look super graceful during his barbell lifts so I don't know how he'll fair in the Snatch 1RM either.

I don't think Spealler will make it either but if he does I think he'll be #3.
__________________
M/30/5'10/216lbs
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #673
Snir Golan
Member Snir Golan is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 752
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
Its a problem in every sport, the cameras have to follow the action...most people want to see big hits, or the heaviest weights, fastest times, etc...unfortunately it sucks but such is life.

I was going to ask about that...why are regionals split up so much? Is there a reason they can't all be done on the same weekend?

I also agree about the 50s probably being the place where Khalipa struggles the most he has an engine but bodyweight stuff isn't his forte, on the other hand he's never look super graceful during his barbell lifts so I don't know how he'll fair in the Snatch 1RM either.

I don't think Spealler will make it either but if he does I think he'll be #3.
my guess is that the regionals are split that way due to cost. the way they have it now is that the gear travels from one regionals to the other. if they do them all the same weekend, you will need 4x the amount of gear, 4x the amount of staffing and logistics are going to be a nightmare.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #674
Mark E. Wallace
Member Mark E. Wallace is offline
 
Mark E. Wallace's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cedar Park  TX
Posts: 3,869
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
my guess is that the regionals are split that way due to cost. the way they have it now is that the gear travels from one regionals to the other. if they do them all the same weekend, you will need 4x the amount of gear, 4x the amount of staffing and logistics are going to be a nightmare.
That's probably spot-on.

- Mark
__________________
"Ima champ Still pushin Strong, Remember You only get what you train FOR>"
Snarky answers -- Free of charge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #675
Jason Fischer
Member Jason Fischer is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Regina  SK Canada
Posts: 241
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
I also agree about the 50s probably being the place where Khalipa struggles the most he has an engine but bodyweight stuff isn't his forte, on the other hand he's never look super graceful during his barbell lifts so I don't know how he'll fair in the Snatch 1RM either.
I think the only place Khalipa will come close to struggling in the 50s is the ring dips. Also, just looking at results from the games last year, he struggled on "Legless" (27th) so the ropeclimb/sprint may be a struggle. That said, he seems to figure out what his weaknesses are and attack them during the off season. I could see him struggle and I could see him winning it.

Regardless of what his barbell lifts look like, he's crazy strong. I'm betting 265+ for his hang snatch.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #676
Snir Golan
Member Snir Golan is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 752
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Fischer View Post
I think the only place Khalipa will come close to struggling in the 50s is the ring dips. Also, just looking at results from the games last year, he struggled on "Legless" (27th) so the ropeclimb/sprint may be a struggle. That said, he seems to figure out what his weaknesses are and attack them during the off season. I could see him struggle and I could see him winning it.

Regardless of what his barbell lifts look like, he's crazy strong. I'm betting 265+ for his hang snatch.
he already did 270 here and that was almost 6 months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zllmWryoq3k

link is NSFW, Jason drops an f bomb at the end.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #677
Miles Roberts
Member Miles Roberts is offline
 
Miles Roberts's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Clinton  OH
Posts: 299
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
see but it makes no difference since they are not competing against earlier regionals, they are only competing against the other athletes in their region. and this is also why looking at cross regions scores is not really a good thing.
IMO, it makes a difference. If Stacy Tovar competed at the last weekend of regionals, and saw how far the legit athletes were walking on their hands, don't you think she'd have dedicated a lot of time to it (in the additional 4 weeks of prep time she would have) and had a better score?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #678
Snir Golan
Member Snir Golan is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 752
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Roberts View Post
IMO, it makes a difference. If Stacy Tovar competed at the last weekend of regionals, and saw how far the legit athletes were walking on their hands, don't you think she'd have dedicated a lot of time to it (in the additional 4 weeks of prep time she would have) and had a better score?
i really don't to be honest. everybody had plenty of time to get ready and especially in the handstand, i don't think that these people failed because of they didn't have an extra 3 weeks to get ready. Briggs and Tovar both know how to walk on their hand, they have done it before many times including in the games last year. i think that no matter when the regional is, the results would have been the same because the competition would have been the same. Tivar didn't qualify because she didn't perform as well as she should have, simple as that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #679
Andrew Bell
Member Andrew Bell is offline
 
Andrew Bell's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston  TX
Posts: 4,021
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Roberts View Post
Tons of talk about the wild card situation.
Castro said it this weekend that unless you were the winner of Regionals (and within the number that your regions is sending to the games) you won't be going. No special invites this year, period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9mc...are&t=2h27m16s (NOT wfs, dave drops an f bomb)
__________________
| Log (wfs) |
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #680
Tighe Crovetti
Member Tighe Crovetti is offline
 
Tighe Crovetti's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Collegeville  PA
Posts: 359
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Just have to make this comment re: Mid Atlantic. My first in-person CF competition (aside from a small local competition), and it is truly amazing to see the abilities and capacities of these athletes. Many, many athletes are of, I'll say, an "envious" build: broad, muscular, lean, what most people would look at and just go, "wow, they're bad ***." There are exceptions on either end; Gretchen Kittleberger would probably strike most as carrying too much weight, Anna Tunnicliffe looks too skinny to compete on strength stuff...yet they both are obviously still well-rounded.

However, there isn't anyone quite so "mismatched" as Ben Smith. Schrader is a 6'2" sculpture, Troyan is a power plug of lean muscle, there was one guy Tyler Cox who looked like a physique model damn near. And they're all chasing - futilely, may I add - a guy who probably wouldn't get picked for kickball on the playground. He just looks so "normal," and yet wins Events 1 (280#!!!) 3 and 4, and two seconds from winning Event 7. It's just kind of astounding.
__________________
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Crossfit Open dates Jason A Smith Competitions 16 01-07-2014 02:30 PM
Comprehensive list of open, regionals and games WODS?? Thomas Cofer Workout of the Day 2 12-18-2013 11:35 AM
2013 Open, Regionals and Games Thread Sean Dunston Competitions 2224 08-09-2013 02:10 PM
Tim's Log: Road to CrossFit Games 2014 Tim Lohrmann Workout Logs 2 05-07-2013 10:35 AM
2012 Open, Regional and Games thread Sean Dunston Competitions 1527 11-30-2012 12:04 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.