CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #611
Drew Cloutier

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Menikheim View Post
Wow never heard anyone say Speal is overrated. What makes you say that? I think for a small guy who typically exceled in body weight events he has made leaps and bounds progress in strength over the last couple years. His come back to make the games last year was awesome.

As for Bridges. I guess I can agree that he might not be the most mutlifaceted. Like Speal he is a small guy that has trouble in the heavy weighted events. Dude has an incredible engine and absolutely insane mental determination which makes him pretty much unbeatable in the long chippers. But yeah if its a traditional wod my money is on him if it isnt then you are probably right he might not be at the top....but then again he wont be too far back hahaha
Spealler for me the reason I feel he's overrated is because he's been around crossfit since pretty much the beginning, and the best he ever did was 2010 with 3rd and 2007 with 4th, since 2010 he hasn't cracked top 10, and last year he failed to qualify for the games...I just feel that for a guy who's been around so long, and arguably since the games were easier (less challenging due to less competition, and less highly skilled athletes) and he's never won it, and people make this huge deal about him, I don't get it. This is a guy who is touted as a legend...yet he's never won the damn thing and he's been at it since the very beginning, there are past champions who don't even get the PR/stigma he does.

At least with Bridges he's finished 2nd in 2011, no mention of 2012 and 7th in 2013.

Comparatively Spealler went 11th in 2011, 22nd in 2012 and not qualified in 2013...so he's essentially getting worse every year since 2011

Arguably the crossfit games have been getting harder every year since its inception, but I think we can all agree that especially since 2010 the games have been really getting cranked up a few notches in terms of level of competitors, amount of competitors, difficulty of events, etc...and it just seems like Spealler who is part of the old guard can't keep up. For Bridges this will be an important year in terms of proving if he can hang.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #612
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Truth be told, I doubt that Chris is really all that highly "rated" by the knowledgeable Crossfit public at-large. Anyone who knows anything about Crossfit on a global scale and who is able to look at it objectively knows that Chris really hasn't been a major force among the men for a few years.

That said, he is a meaningful part of Crossfit "history," a fierce competitor, a fine ambassador for the sport, and (for all I can tell) a pretty nice guy. Even if he isn't to be "rated" highly as a top men's competitor at this point, he deserves to be highly thought of generally as far as Crossfit goes.

- Mark
Old 05-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #613
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Chris is definitely a good guy in person.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #614
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

Chris Spealler has been there from the start, that is why he deserves respect

"the game has passed you by" is a relevant term for most of the early games competitors

Most of the top 10 in the first games probably wouldnt make the regionals nowadays

But spealler has hung in there and is still competitive

Plus for me Spealler and Josh Bridges are flying the flags for the little guys
Old 05-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #615
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Spealer is a lot like Stacie Tovar to me, they've both been around the top of the sport so long that a lot of people root for them for whatever reason. That doesn't equal overrated to me. I don't ever hear anyone talking about either of them being serious contenders but they're both great athletes and great ambassadors for Crossfit.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #616
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

Another thing

I know this thing about other competitors cheering on the last struggling competitor in a heat is a crossfit tradition and supposedly shows the 'sportsmanship' of the competitors

Look at Mens event 5 socal where the other athletes were jogging up and down as the last guy finished off his rope climbs

Personally if i were that last guy, i would find it annoying and demeaning

It's like everyone else is saying "your sh*t, you need us to get through this event"

I would want everyone out of my bloody face and let me get on with it !
Old 05-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #617
Bryan Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Pegrum View Post
Another thing

I know this thing about other competitors cheering on the last struggling competitor in a heat is a crossfit tradition and supposedly shows the 'sportsmanship' of the competitors

Look at Mens event 5 socal where the other athletes were jogging up and down as the last guy finished off his rope climbs

It's like everyone else is saying "your sh*t, you need us to get through this event"

I'm the same way Desmond. I personally would find that annoying. Call it pride or whatever but it would bug me. Kind of like when someone is spanking you in golf and then trys to give you unsolicited swing advice- lock it up and let me finish out my round in peace.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #618
Paul Victor French

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Pegrum View Post
Another thing

I've actually wondered what people think about this. I've gone back and forth, I often workout alone so don't really know the feeling, but I can see why it might bother some people when that happens.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #619
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Apparently Bill Grundler tore his ACL upon landing after jumping off the rope. I heard in the East they have 2" of padding but the ropes are not marked off so they don't have to climb down.

This is dumb on HQ's and the athlete's part. Most local competitions I've been to with rope climb required no jumping or taped off where they can drop down (generally 6 or 7').
Old 05-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #620
Jason Fischer

Profile:

How discouraging would it be to know a guy who tore his ACL near the beginning of a workout still finished before you? Ha ha