CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #211
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
I think that shows your ranking and the second number is your total points added up (or your ranking in both of the workouts combined). If you want to see how many people are in the division and have submitted scores just sort by division and then go to the last page.

Mine shows 1693/(3596) because my ranking for the first 2 workouts was 1176 and 2420 (add those together and get 3596) but there are over 4200 people in my division.
Edit: I don't think that's right, at least not as regards my question. You're right: on the website leaderboard, I show as 364 (774), the first is my rank, the second is the sum of my rankings from each of the first two WODs. For an individual WOD, you see [ rank (score) ]. However, the big blue square at the top of the leaderboard tabs in the smartphone app is different. Mine shows 364 / 809, and I just verified, there are 809 people in my region.

However, it looks like the last 22 people have sketchy scores in there. All of them have nothing for 14.1, and the others have " -- (some #)." It looks like they have submitted scores for 14.2 that haven't been validated, but they're being counted in my denominator. I think it must be working like this: say 10 people sign up, and all 10 people submit scores. My score would be ranked out of 10. If the deadline passes and two aren't validated, I'd be ranked out of 8. However, those two could come back and submit valid scores for the next workout, and they would go back in the denominator (and I assume, each take a 9th/last in the first workout). Anyways.....not a huge deal, I just wanted to know if, in fact, I could look at the big blue screen area as my percentile in the group, and it looks like I can.

Last edited by Tighe Crovetti : 03-11-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #212
Jenni Hartman

Profile:

I wish I was a good enough programmer to figure out where teams would actually stand, if the top 48 individuals for each region went individual. So many individual Regional athletes from last year signed up on teams this year, and I really wonder how that will change things this year for the teams.

I suppose we'll find out in about a month.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #213
Springer Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
Quick question: On the Games app, the top of the screen shows your spot on the Leaderboard, both worldwide and regional. For example, right now mine shows "364 / 809." My question is: I keep seeing that denominator changing. First, I think I saw a huge drop, and I figured, that must have been people not submitting scores in time for 14.2. If you skip an Open WOD, is that the case, you're DQ? But then, it climbed back up some. Anyone know how the various reasons the number could change, in both directions?

*edit* just re read your question and you were talking about the App not the games website. Not sure if this applies still.

I believe that number represents your current position and total points.

Example Camille Leblanc-Bazinet.

Workout 1 - Finished 9th in the World
Workout 2 - Finished 1st in the World

Place is 1(10) - 1 point for each position, lowest points is the overall leader.

Another Example

Example Rich Froning

Workout 1 - Finished 4th in the World
Workout 2 - Finished 2nd in the World

Place is 1(6)

You can also look at it by a per region basis and those numbers change.

Rich Froning

Workout 1 - Finished 1st in Central East
Workout 2 - Finished 1st in Central East

Place is 1(2)
Old 03-14-2014, 02:00 AM   #214
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Was I the only one whose back was hurting by just watching Stacie deadlifting at the end of 14.3?

Im not a fan of this WOD, not at all.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:06 AM   #215
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Was I the only one whose back was hurting by just watching Stacie deadlifting at the end of 14.3?

Yeah, she was WAY rounded on that last weight. Surprised, being short-er, and as stoutly built as she is, I figured her for a deadlift queen.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #216
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:

judging by the comments on FB and on different forums, you are not the only one. i know i cringed when i saw some of those last reps, some of them were horrible.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:05 AM   #217
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

When we sacrifice safety and form for numbers are we any better than a high school coach pushing his kids in powerlifting to lift more no matter how bad their form is?

When coaching I've stopped people and lowered their weights when form drops. Some have fought me and cursed me because they want that red RX star by their name. I videoed a few of them and showed them after I still made then lower their weights and their eyes opened. It took some hurting their back a little before they realized I care about their safety and health more than the numbers and speed at which they lift.

This is the one thing about crossfit I do dislike. In order to be fast and win, (or try too) people sacrifice safety and intelligence.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #218
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
When we sacrifice safety and form for numbers are we any better than a high school coach pushing his kids in powerlifting to lift more no matter how bad their form is?

When coaching I've stopped people and lowered their weights when form drops. Some have fought me and cursed me because they want that red RX star by their name. I videoed a few of them and showed them after I still made then lower their weights and their eyes opened. It took some hurting their back a little before they realized I care about their safety and health more than the numbers and speed at which they lift.

This is the one thing about crossfit I do dislike. In order to be fast and win, (or try too) people sacrifice safety and intelligence.
This is the difference between CF for sport and CF for fitness if you ask me. Too many of us fall into that mindset of thinking we're Rich trying to win our fourth title in a row when in reality we've got no business sacrificing form or safety for the sake of a few extra reps
Old 03-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #219
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:

No, my back was hurting watching her from the beginning
Old 03-16-2014, 06:43 AM   #220
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Does Dave Castro's announcement style bother anyone else? I know his approach is to make the workout announcement a reveal, so he gives the details little by little. Usually I'm trying to follow him but just end up thinking, "Huh?" until the numbers are listed on the screen.

For example, it would be less of a reveal, but I wish 14.3 would have sounded like:
"This workout is a deadlift-box jump couplet. The first round is 10 deadlifts and 15 box jumps. Each round the deadlifts will increase by five reps and will also increase in weight. (Name weights and box height). The workout is limited to an 8 minute AMRAP."