CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
Tye Sydnor

Profile:
Getting lean but not losing strength questions

So this is my situation, I'm at 225lbs I'm pretty strong when it comes to my Olympic lifting and gymnastics is coming along nicely. So I'm constantly improving I just would like to get a bit leaner, but I've heard that if you get lean you lose strength. I'm wondering if that is a fact, is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? I'm eating pretty clean so I don't know if that needs to be adjusted. The only supplement I'm currently taking is fish oil.

Any advice would be helpful
Old 12-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Cam Peavy

Profile:
Re: Getting lean but not losing strength questions

How are you eating currently? (Paleo, Zone, Whole foods in general, etc.). I'd recommend calculating your maintenance calories, dropping those down 300-500, hitting 200-250g of protein per lb of body weight, and filling the rest with carbs / fats accordingly. That + lifting heavy will minimize any muscle loss.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Depends how lean you are now. If you're at, say, 18% body fat and you want to get down to 12%, then sure you can maintain strength easily as long as you keep strength training regularly. 12%-8% for example it would be a lot harder.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Tye Sydnor

Profile:

I'm currently in a mix between Paleo and Whole Foods. I'm currenlty at about 16% body fat and between 10 and 12 is ideally where I would like to be but not at the cost of losing alot of strength.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
Michael Cook

Profile:

There is no getting around the laws of physics: F=ma

Force = mass x acceleration

So if you weigh less, and your acceleration is the same, you will generate less force.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
There is no getting around the laws of physics: F=ma

Force = mass x acceleration

So if you weigh less, and your acceleration is the same, you will generate less force.
Fortunately, we're not billiard balls colliding into each other. This doesn't really apply to the mechanical generation of force. It would only be applicable if you were trying to measure the force that you were applying to the bar during a lift (force = mass of the bar x rate at which the bar is accelerated).

Your corrected statement reads: ...if you (or the object you are moving) weigh less, and your acceleration is the same, you are applying less force.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Greg Warren

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Peavy View Post
...hitting 200-250g of protein per lb of body weight...
I'm assuming you had thought to originally say this one way, then thought of a different way of saying it instead, and accidentally combined the two. Shoot for about .75-1g of protein per lb of body weight. Some will argue about if it should be current body weight or target body weight. Personally, I'm in the process of leaning out while I recover from bicep tendinosis and am going with .75g/lb of target body weight.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

The answer depends on your relative level of development and, as mentioned above, how much body fat you wish to lose.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Warren View Post
I'm assuming you had thought to originally say this one way, then thought of a different way of saying it instead, and accidentally combined the two. Shoot for about .75-1g of protein per lb of body weight. Some will argue about if it should be current body weight or target body weight. Personally, I'm in the process of leaning out while I recover from bicep tendinosis and am going with .75g/lb of target body weight.
Yea wow really messed that one up.. I mean then again, doesn't it sound like a good idea to go for 200g of protein per lb of body weight?!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

The protein recommendation I find varies by person, some do well low protein (.75/1g) and others do well with high protein (1.5/2g) so I personally don't like to make blanket statements but I think 1g should be a minimum.