CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #31
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: What can low-carb (ketosis) do for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
I've no idea how you'd calculate how much your glycogen stores are depleted during a workout outside of a lab. A CHO intake ≤ 5g/kg/d should reduce glycogen stores to critically low levels in a matter of days though, assuming that's what you're aiming for.
Hm..you sure about that? Elliot Hulse is doing carb Nite and he is training hard, doesnt seem like this glycogen stores are critically low after a few days of eating under 30g carbs daily.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #32
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Hm..you sure about that? Elliot Hulse is doing carb Nite and he is training hard, doesnt seem like this glycogen stores are critically low after a few days of eating under 30g carbs daily.
I thought carb nite meant loading up on carbs (like 200g) every night?
Old 09-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #33
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Neal View Post
Not sure why you assume I want to be scrawny... Could just be semantics. And I don't claim to speak for everyone, or at least I try not to. To your point about maintaining or gaining weight, I'd love to maintain my weight but lose my fat, which I think is entirely possible with a ketogenic diet.
It's not semantics. It's the logical progression of what would happen when you try to go long-term with a diet that relies on consuming itself and tricks it into not or inefficiently using outside sources of energy supplied to it.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #34
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Poly unsaturated fats are not bad. where did the idea they were come from? Why is ghee better than olive oil?
Old 09-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #35
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
It's not semantics. It's the logical progression of what would happen when you try to go long-term with a diet that relies on consuming itself and tricks it into not or inefficiently using outside sources of energy supplied to it.
Ok, I agree with that, I suppose. I definitely misspoke; My thought was that I'd rather my body burn its extra fat than crave outside sources to burn.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #36
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I'm not saying that being in ketosis couldn't be a valid to lose weight/fat. I'm just saying the same thing most all the other detractors here are - it's not really sustainable for most people for the reason I just stated.

It's not better for performance than a balanced diet. Might be equal in some respects as has been discussed, but that's at best.

It's not better for maintaining or gaining weight, unless you load up on tons and tons of fats, and I'm no expert nutritionist but I can't see where that would be any healthier than the unbalanced high carb diets that this diet is trying to combat.

It's a pain in the butt to follow. If you do it as prescribed, you're basically forcing yourself to never eat out or otherwise share meals with others.

So, in short, it just doesn't seem practical to me for the average person.

And yes, Alexander is going to come in here and say it's worked for him. There are always outliers to every situation.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #37
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
I thought carb nite meant loading up on carbs (like 200g) every night?
Carb Nite 6 days of ultra low carbs and 1 day of carb backload.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #38
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
I'm not saying that being in ketosis couldn't be a valid to lose weight/fat. I'm just saying the same thing most all the other detractors here are - it's not really sustainable for most people for the reason I just stated.

It's not better for performance than a balanced diet. Might be equal in some respects as has been discussed, but that's at best.

It's not better for maintaining or gaining weight, unless you load up on tons and tons of fats, and I'm no expert nutritionist but I can't see where that would be any healthier than the unbalanced high carb diets that this diet is trying to combat.

It's a pain in the butt to follow. If you do it as prescribed, you're basically forcing yourself to never eat out or otherwise share meals with others.

So, in short, it just doesn't seem practical to me for the average person.

And yes, Alexander is going to come in here and say it's worked for him. There are always outliers to every situation.
I'm actually really glad you laid this out. (LoL at Alexander dropping in.) I would like to comment on what you've said, that's what we're all here for.

I disagree that it's not sustainable, but I agree that it's a pain in the butt to follow, which one could argue makes it not sustainable. I think our food environment is partially to blame; the low-fat misinformation certainly doesn't help anything. Regardless, I don't plan on being in ketosis for the rest of my life; just until I reach my goals, then I'll reintroduce a moderate amount of carbs.

As for performance, I think it could depend on who you are. I'm inspired to look for studies done on athletes in ketosis (enter Darryl). To the internet!
Old 09-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #39
Alexander Dreyzen

Profile:

Quote:
I was re-reading a lot of Peter Attia's research and I cam across this "simple" explanation of what being in ketosis can do for you. It's worth keeping in mind because I know there's a lot of back and forth as to whether or not ketosis can or should help CrossFit athletes. So here's what he says:

"...the answers to these questions are probably as follows:

Does ketosis enhance aerobic capacity? Likely
Does ketosis enhance anaerobic power? No
Does ketosis enhance muscular strength? Unlikely
Does ketosis enhance muscular endurance? Likely"
I'd like to note that he says "probably." Here's the full article if anyone's interested (wfs):
http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/k...-state-part-ii
Remarkably, all these (and then some), questions are answered in this "JumpstartMD Full Interview with Drs. Stephen Phinney & Jeff Volek" interview. It's long but very comprehensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFD2q5iqevY
Old 09-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #40
Alexander Dreyzen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Poly unsaturated fats are not bad. where did the idea they were come from? Why is ghee better than olive oil?
First of olive is mostly monounsaturated. Second, yes polyunsaturated fats are considered pro-inflammatory. The theory behind this is that we are made mostly of mono and saturated fats, so we know how to burn them, especially when keto adapted. The poly is only used in cell membranes, so too much of it promotes inflammation because we are not adapted to burning it.