CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-20-2015, 09:51 PM   #1
David Kiesling

Profile:
inflammation and paleo

Has anyone noticed reduced inflammation from injuries since being on a paleo diet?

I've been on a pretty strict paleo diet for a few weeks, after finally ditching rice. I noticed possible signs of reduced inflammation (less bloating, less fatigue, less joint pain, less muscle soreness/knots), and then I had a violent mishap and sprained my ankle. The funny part was my ankle didn't swell up at all like it had from my last sprain, even though I was limping around for a day. I did some stretching and mobility on it, and I could walk on it two days after the injury, and a few days later I went running without pain and forgot I even sprained it. It was amazing.

I suspect it wasn't as bad a sprain as the previous one, but the reduced overall muscle and joint problems during the diet leads me to think the diet had a lot to do with recovery.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:36 AM   #2
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: inflammation and paleo

What type of food do you eat now instead of rice, for carbs?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
David Kiesling

Profile:

Well I cut out grains completely. Brown rice was my last holdout. I did better on it than other grains, but now that I quit it I have more energy. No beans or potatoes either - they always made me feel tired. I eat lots of salads, so plenty of calories anyway.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
Mike Doehla

Profile:

sheer coincidence. The fact that you didn't swell up had nothing to do with eating like a caveman.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:59 PM   #5
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kiesling View Post
Well I cut out grains completely. Brown rice was my last holdout. I did better on it than other grains, but now that I quit it I have more energy. No beans or potatoes either - they always made me feel tired. I eat lots of salads, so plenty of calories anyway.
Still, to perform good in CF WODs, you need carbs. Unless you are doing some other type of training?
Old 02-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
David Kiesling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Still, to perform good in CF WODs, you need carbs. Unless you are doing some other type of training?
I still do WODs/metcons, but I can't say I'm performing "good" in them, or that I ever did. I seem to still have energy for them. One thing in particular I've noticed is my muscles don't start burning much, particularly the way my quads would really burn during high rep squats. I have noticed this on bike rides where I can keep going uphill, and my legs don't really burn like they used to, but I eventually do get tired out. Quicker? I'm not sure. It definitely changes how my energy feels. I had some grains again a couple times and the burning came right back.

Mentally I have a clearer head too, no grogginess that I would always get with grains and things like potatoes.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:11 AM   #7
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Do you perhaps have a heart rate monitor on during the WODs? It would be interesting to see your heart rate in correlation to your own estimate on how hard the workout is.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #8
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kiesling View Post
I still do WODs/metcons, but I can't say I'm performing "good" in them, or that I ever did. I seem to still have energy for them. One thing in particular I've noticed is my muscles don't start burning much, particularly the way my quads would really burn during high rep squats. I have noticed this on bike rides where I can keep going uphill, and my legs don't really burn like they used to, but I eventually do get tired out. Quicker? I'm not sure. It definitely changes how my energy feels. I had some grains again a couple times and the burning came right back.

Mentally I have a clearer head too, no grogginess that I would always get with grains and things like potatoes.
I have nothing against your not eating grains or believing that that helps you in some way physically. Certainly many people have sensitivities to certain grains (though generally not to all). But there's a bit of a teaching moment here, in that associating your improvement in well being with the elimination of grains is one thing, and attributing the improvement to their elimination is another.

In other words, when you eliminate grains (and other carbs) you also do a variety of other things to your body. For example (and not exhaustively) :

You affect your bodyweight as muscular hydration levels change with carb reduction - if you weigh less your weighted squats weigh less too (so your workload is reduced, reducing pain).

You likely are involving aerobic metabolism burning fat more which has fewer secondary metabolites (lactate for example), because of the lower levels of glycogen in your muscles and liver. This could reduce local acidity in the muscles during bike rides. However, being a very well trained rider would also achieve the same thing.

You eat other things in lieu of carbs that have an impact on performance and recovery - you may be eating more protein which is metabolized instead of bits of body protein - or more greens which reduce the effect of free radicals, either of these possibly reducing pain. Carbs aren't the only variable that changes in other words.

Any of these, and others, could account for subjective improvement. I'm not saying eliminating grains hasn't helped but there could be a more direct approach. Not eating any grains may indirectly help in the short term, but over the long term is also associated with negative health outcomes also.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:05 PM   #9
Brian Smith brianisrighthere

Profile:

I had lingering soreness from an injury for 2 years. I cleaned up my diet, and without changing much else, the pain lessened considerably in about 6 weeks.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #10
Stuart Bryden

Profile:

I find it a strange response that I always see (and I get from people myself) that when I say I don't eat grains they think I don't eat carbs. I'm pretty sure bread, pasta and rice are not the only sources of carbs?

I have been doing CrossFit for a few years and weightlifting for three years now and it is very easy to get 'enough' carbs. I am by no means a doctor or nutrition expert but try researching sources of energy produced by the body from the food you eat, for example check out Keytones.

All the best with the way you eat and I can say from my experience that joint pain does appear if my diet starts to include quick easy carb sources like bread etc (after about a week).