CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:
Crossfit and Coke

I think overall its good to make people aware of the side effects of dumping millions of calories grams of sugar into your body. The possible health problems you might get.

What about Pepsi and basically every other drink except Water?

Wonder why they red light just Coke?

When you watch Rich F he seams to have a very average to poor diet. PB and J sandwich followed by a glass of milk.. Chocolate milk at that. That is 100 grams of sugar easy. Somehow and someway he is able to function on all that crap that he eats and drinks.

Crossfit has a love affair with Doughnuts. Hard to find a worse product (yes I love them but don't eat them anymore).. nothing but the worst ingredients because they are just so cheap.. deep fat fried, sugar, oil,flour…

Basically the general public are just sheep. The believed in the old food chart that has been turned up side down. Now you have fat people or people who wish/need to lose weight saying that Fat is good now. People will believe and think that they are doing it right just because x person says so… they even want to believe that its ok yet even good for them.

Its a tough call for X fit hq to go after anyone else while millions of people who do x fit eat like crap.

Diet is a big word. I have gone thru many phases of Atkins back in the day, Caveman now.. Gluten and sugar slow me down and I can feel it. So if I want to be the best that I can be I don't do them. Sadly I will eat a Quest bar no problem because I am also a sheep and don't think that the fake sugar will do much to me.. this is me making myself believe fake sugar is ok for now.

What type of diet are you doing?

What do you think about x fit taking on Coke?
Old 11-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: Crossfit and Coke

Hey Victor,

Quote:
What about Pepsi and basically every other drink except Water? Wonder why they red light just Coke?
The simple answer is CrossFit isn't just “red lighting” Coke, but in actuality is going after the entire Big Soda lobby; this is pretty clear in the releases CrossFit has made recently. CrossFit's “anti-Coke front message” is simply a message clarity tactic. If you think it a poor tactic, or is being driven by a secret agenda (as your post kind of suggests) I’d be interested in your argument.

Quote:
It’s a tough call for CrossFit HQ to go after anyone else, while millions of people who do CrossFit eat like crap.
Your claim of CrossFit’s hypocrisy is unfounded on three counts, a) you've misunderstood CrossFit’s Big Soda agenda; b) I’d be very surprised if you can substantiate your claim to CrossFiters eating like crap, c) Even of this was true, substantiating CrossFit’s wilful negligence in this area, would be an interesting argument to see.

CROSSFIT'S BIG SODA AGENDA
You are assuming that CrossFit is Anti Soda (the product), this is not their message. I think you'd find Glassman would happily drink a Coke in front of the camera, he's a libertarian after all, and believes in Coke's tight to trade. And let's face it, Soda in moderation is not an issue.

CrossFit is Anti Big Soda’s STRATEGY. Let’s be clear, Big Soda (the product) is not killing millions; Big Soda’s strategy, to create an environment to sell you as much Coke as possible regardless of its impact on your health, and do whatever it takes to achieve this, including manipulating politics and science, as did tobacco before it, is killing millions. And CrossFit is fighting THIS. (That was an awesome run on sentence)

Now that we have CrossFit’s agenda correct, Glassman can drink a Coke in one hand while lobbying with the other, they're fighting the immoral strategy not the product.

CROSSFITTERS EAT CRAP
Secondly, your claim to CrossFit's poor nutrition is a pretty big statement? I’d suspect that if you lined up CrossFiters against the average public, there would be a substantial difference in diet quality. A Rich Froning milkshake does not a culture of poor diet make. Correlation does not equal causation. The reality is CrossFit teaches balanced nutrition, not crazy unsustainable nutrition. Ya want to eat a doughnut, eat a frakin doughnut, sheesh.

CROSSFITS FAULT
Even if Crossfiters had poor nutrition, which, come on, they don't, you've kinda made out like somehow this would be CrossFits fualt. To debate your point, crossFit nutrition as taught in the 12,000 boxes worldwide, and goes a huge way towards educating people on healthy nutrition, and changing habits. I suspect you may have fallen into a Nirvana Fallacy here my friend, a fallacy of perfection.

Cheers

Sean

Last edited by Sean J Hunter : 11-12-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I suspect Rich Froning's diet works fine for him. This would be reflected by his performance. When you get to that level keeping weight on becomes the biggest problem. Can't get enough fuel eating supper clean.

Greg Glassman is personally taking on big soda. It is how he is choosing to spend part of his considerable wealth. As many people as he has helped with CrossFit he can probably help even more by going after big soda.

The US food, nutrition education and science field is awful. It is full of bad information and bad science. It needs a few more people like Glassman to question it and expose the fallacies.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

Coke was initially backing people/organizations that were lobbying to require licensing etc. to be a trainer if I am not mistaken? In other words, they were messing with CrossFit. That is what brought Coke into the crosshairs. Once there, I think Coach Glassman found out just how bad that industry is and decided to take it on for the reasons now being stated.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Coke was initially backing people/organizations that were lobbying to require licensing etc. to be a trainer if I am not mistaken? In other words, they were messing with CrossFit. That is what brought Coke into the crosshairs. Once there, I think Coach Glassman found out just how bad that industry is and decided to take it on for the reasons now being stated.
Exactly. It's described in some detail here: http://breakingmuscle.com/functional...nd-coke-debate WFS
Old 11-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Sean… got it. Just saw the big Coke looking can..

I mostly was talking about Rich F eating badly from what I have seen on medial and what he says.

I am old and have to eat well or simply I just move slower.

I am happy that x fit is going after big soda (now I understand its big soda)..

People need to know that drinking all of that soda can kill you or give you things that can.

People also need to know that Milk has 12-13 grams in every cup also. About half as your big soda. Chocolate milk has more than Coke.

Recovery powders, drinks and bars are filled with mega sugar or sugar substitutes.

Wonder why they don't use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol ?

You can eat clean and keep enough calories in.

I bet if Rich F cut out most of the sugar, ditched gluten, avoided fried foods. He would be even better than he is now.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #7
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Why would ditching gluten do anything? If you aren't celiac then it doesn't matter. Gluten sensitivity is a myth.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

There are no bad foods, only bad diets, because....

“All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose permits something not to be poisonous.” ~ Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus Von Hohenheim.

So go ahead and have a Coke or doughnut if you want one, just don't have it every day.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:14 PM   #9
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Luke.. try not eating gluten and cut out sugar.. belly fat will go away and met cons should go better. Then drop some gluten back into the diet and let me know how it works.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:29 PM   #10
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

OK Victor, I love the board for strong debate, but you kinda getting mightly close to trolling, to be honest.

- Firstly, CF has a secret agenda. When asked to expound, nothing.
- Then CF is hypocritical for its athletes showing poor diet, when in fact CF just doesn't agree that your extreme type of dieting is necessary for the general population. Also since when does CF have control over anyone’s diet?
- You're still pushing that CF is anti-sugar, when its message is clearly against Big Sodas lobbying agenda. Sugar as a treat is fine.
- You're somehow comparing the impact of lactose with the impact of High Fructose Corn Syrup!?
- And to top it off, you finish with claiming the fittest guy in the universe, could have somehow done better.
- Most annoyingly, you failed to even read any of the publically available information on CF campaign, otherwise you wouldn't have asked, what was kinda naive questions.
- And now you're pushing the Gluten free agenda, which is scientifically weak at best.

Yeah, just saying...maybe want to dial down the rhetoric a little.

Sean