CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-17-2005, 03:55 PM   #1
Juan Romero Jr

Profile:  
After reading the CFJ on The Zone, and trying it out, last week I followed the block plan for a medium sized male. 5 5 1 5 1 for 17 blocks. The problem I found, or something I noticed, is that I'm extremely full after a 5 block meal. Its that normal? Also I read a little about the Zone diet from one of the books and it mentioned that timing was important. When I time my meals, its usually 6-7 hours before I get to lunch (on a work day), then I'll have a snack when I get home 4 hours later. My problem is that after lunch, when I get home, its all I can do to not fall on the bed for a nap. I know that has to do with my insulin levels and such, but am I just eating too much?

I'm 5'7'' 175 lbs, with a monsterous 25% BF (last time I checked).

I tried 4,4,1,4,1 today, but still the same side effects.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:05 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Wait, so you're going 6 or 7 hours between breakfast and lunch? You should break that in half with a snack, that could be some of the problem.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:24 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Shorten up time between meals to 4 hrs. or less. Break 17 blocks in any way 4-4-4-4-1 is fine. If your getting your carb blocks from high fiber vegs (like salad) your consuming a lot of volume. Mix in fruit (one apple is 2 blocks). 4 blocks of protein ain't that much, but you could use protein to chop a block or two off your meals (once or twice a day). Learn new, intresting, and good ways to prepare: Chicken, Beef, Fish, and eggs. They are your main protein staples. If you learn two ways to prepare each you have 8 diffrent tasting protein sources. Also experiment with spices and veg mixes. If you work in a place where you don't have access to food for 7 hours (a sweat shop or such): fill an empty water bottle with 1 block of protein, put 1 macadamia nut in a plastic bag in your pocket and put 1/2 an apple in a plastic bag in another pocket (I guess you could mix the nut in with your chopped apple, put lime juice on the apple to stop browning). Add water to the bottle and eat the rest of the stuff for a one block snack.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:42 PM   #4
Ted Williams

Profile:
I'd cut back the blocks...I was at about 19% BF when I started trying the Zone...5'8" and 175...I GAINED fat with 17 blocks...cut it back to 14 blocks and I'm doing much better (thanks Nicole!).

Ted
Old 09-19-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
Juan Romero Jr

Profile:  
I guess my real confusion is finding out how many blocks I need to eat a day. Right now 14 still feels a little much, but its a big change from 17. On Dr. Sears' site it said I needed 11 blocks of protien as a minimum, do does that mean I should be eating 11 blocks instead of 14 like the journal says?
Old 09-24-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
Hi Juan-
Try 13 or 14 depending on your activity level (14 if your are crossfitting regularly).

Don't eat more than 5 blocks at any one meal. The first few weeks of zoning can feel worse before getting better. Dial it in as much as possible, use low GI carbs as much as possible and take adequate rest and water as much as possible.