CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-14-2005, 08:41 PM   #1
Andrew Gray

Profile:
Is it better to follow the block charts when creating meals or add everything up to make it exactly 40/30/30? My impression is that the blocks were designed to make a shortcut way of roughly figuring out what will end up being 40/30/30 but most foods have a little bit of something else in them and end up putting you a little over. So I am wondering if the zone block suggestions on how much to eat is taking that little bit extra into account. Personlly I find it easier to just add everything up and hit it right on. I just wanted to make sure this was good (or better for that matter) I can be a bit of a perfectionist sometimes so the exact method kind of appeals to me. Thanks for the info and sorry if this is a repeat question, I tried a search but couldn't really narrow it down the right way to find my exact question.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:24 AM   #2
Chris Longley

Profile:
Either way's fine. The block method does balance itself out in the end and makes preparing meals a lot easier. Your calories are obviously gonna be slightly higher eating this way though.

Going exact is fine, but it's easy to get wrapped up in the numbers and miss the big picture. If you find that you start to spend most of your time worrying about grams of macronutrients, then back away from the scales and realise that as long as you are eating MOSTLY whole foods APPROXIMATELY 40/30/30 MOST of the time, that you are gonna be fine and will have a huge nutritional advantage over most of the worlds population.

Bottom line: either way is good - go with whatever you prefer, but don't obsess over it.

Hope that helps.