CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
Sara Mathews

Profile:
Re: Overheating...

I use to be at a box in FL with no AC, now in DC area at one with AC...

This may seem crazy but I actually preferred the one without:

1. It was open garage doors... convenient for running in and out; made the place seem brighter, sunnier, and less stale. Open doors and a few fans were enough to keep things circulating.

2. Acclimation: It made me focus on hydration and allowed me to not feel like I was going to die when I was just out and about doing real life stuff in FL. I've had several heat "exhaustion/stroke" episodes in the past and had really gotten overly careful about overheating. Actually hydrating right and exercising in the heat way upped my tolerance.

3. Sometimes it just feels good to sweat.

4. Doing a split indoor/outdoor WOD makes the running so much worse when you step out of the AC into the heat.

5. It's CF, put your big girl/boy panties on and suck it up buttercup.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #12
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
The bottom line, however, is that most people will not get heat exhaustion when they work in the heat for a shorter period of time as long as they are well hydrated. You do a longer workout like Murph in 95 degree heat with 80% humidity, well be very careful. If you do a Fran style workout in those some conditions you are not likely to develop heatstroke if you came in to the workout well hydrated.
We did Murph at our box last friday on the anniversary, it was in the low 90s with high humidity and it was awful. My clothes were soaked(as were everybody elses), and it took me forever to cool down after the workout. I drank close to a half gallon of water during the workout, and gaurantee most of it was left in the floor before i left.

I dont mind working out in the heat most of the time, personally i feel like sweating like hell somehow releases everything and i feel better after the workout. But there are downsides too, my box doesnt have showers so if i need to go somewhere directly after a workout it isnt going to be pretty
Old 07-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Spillman View Post
To be honest I was letting off some steam lol. I do have an extreme issue with hydration. I can often lose up to 4 lbs. or more during an hour long crossfit session. AC isn't the answer, but I did notice that most "boxes" don't have it or don't use it.

#HotInOhio
4lbs an hour isn't so bad... a gallon of water weigh 8lbs... drinking half a gallon of water an hour when sweating and working out shouldn't be hard. carry a gallon jug of water and drink it. and be as hydrated as possible around the clock.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Mathews View Post
I use to be at a box in FL with no AC, now in DC area at one with AC...

This may seem crazy but I actually preferred the one without:

1. It was open garage doors... convenient for running in and out; made the place seem brighter, sunnier, and less stale. Open doors and a few fans were enough to keep things circulating.

2. Acclimation: It made me focus on hydration and allowed me to not feel like I was going to die when I was just out and about doing real life stuff in FL. I've had several heat "exhaustion/stroke" episodes in the past and had really gotten overly careful about overheating. Actually hydrating right and exercising in the heat way upped my tolerance.

3. Sometimes it just feels good to sweat.

4. Doing a split indoor/outdoor WOD makes the running so much worse when you step out of the AC into the heat.

5. It's CF, put your big girl/boy panties on and suck it up buttercup.
I agree with this post pretty much 100%. I work out at a gym with no AC and it's going to be 107 here today. I kinda like seeing a puddle of sweat
Old 07-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Remember that high school football players start doing 2-a-days in late July or early August. From my own personal experience, that means 6 - 8 hours of outdoor training a day wearing full pads. A 1 hour CrossFit class in the shade is not going to kill you if you use a little bit of caution.

I'll echo what Sara said. You'll get used to it before too long. Also, having a gym with big doors, windows, and/or fans makes a huge difference.

If it is really hot out, bring a big water bottle with you. Every chance you get, take a quick sip. Also, try dipping your wrists in cool water. It's amazing how well that helps cool you off.

Last edited by Anthony Giurato : 07-01-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #16
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

I actually agree with Sara as well; I'm one of those guys who drinks like 2 glasses of fluid with each meal normally. Our box doesn't have A/C - although in our case, it's simply because our box is so new (1.3 years open) that the guy didn't have the money at the time to invest in it until he knew he had a sure thing. (It's a sure thing now. LOL)

I've found that as much as I 'hate' the heat and humidity, it:

- forces me to focus on hydration
- 'starts me out' with muscles much more limber and warmed up
- forces me to pace myself a bit during those times when maybe I wouldn't
- does indeed acclimatize me - I'm originally from Chicago, so this Southern humidity sux (LOL) yet I can stand it now
- and other spiffy stuff.

Oh, and the buttercup thing.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
Bryan Spillman

Profile:

Yes, I've increased my water intake and calorie intake in general and things are turning for the better now. I found that not only was I slightly dehydrated, but was not getting enough calories before some workouts. I've started to get back to embracing my lake effect I leave on the floor.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
Michael Pollak

Profile:

Funny thing.... I guess I'm getting used to high heat and humidity of our Box. We were closed Thursday /Friday for the holidays, so I worked out with one of my old workout buddies at my old, fully A/C gym ( I made him do a hellacious Metacon )

I got very stuffed up and mucousy from the A/C, and the cold made it hard to warm up.... It was so cold I was actually shivering a bit on my cool down....

I'll take the heat with these old joints! Grass is always greener.......
Old 07-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #19
Stanley Walter

Profile:

I workout in a room that is hot as hell. Literally. Over 90 F most of the time.

I love it. Sure you sweat like crazy, but your muscles are more limber, and it is motivational for me when I'm drenched at the end of a workout.

Just make sure to drink lots of water and get your electrolytes in. Yay for chocolate milk!
Old 07-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #20
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Walter View Post
I workout in a room that is hot as hell. Literally. Over 90 F most of the time.

I love it. Sure you sweat like crazy, but your muscles are more limber, and it is motivational for me when I'm drenched at the end of a workout.

Just make sure to drink lots of water and get your electrolytes in. Yay for chocolate milk!
Now tell me... how exactly do you know literally how hot hell is?