CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
Bryan Spillman

Profile:
Overheating...

I understand that crossfit is supposed to be hard, and you are supposed to push yourself past the sticking points. blah blah blah.... However, if the outside temperature is very warm, humid, and no breeze.

Why don't "boxes" run their A\C ?

If your "box" has AC and uses it, please post!
If your "box" has AC and doesn't please post too! :P

I almost died from wod'ing while swimming, and I am not in pool or body of water!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:
Re: Overheating...

Our Box uses air conditioning!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

I'm not sure what the point of the thread is.

Are you trying to institute change of some sort through this thread? Or are you just airing a personal grievance?

I'm not trying to be argumentative or snarky with this, but I honestly wonder what you are expecting to get out of the thread.

- Mark
Old 06-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Katy Calcagni

Profile:

My box has no AC. We work out in the high heat and humidity year round in South Florida. I like to think if I were to compete somewhere AC'd I'd preform way better than someone used to it. (I'll let you know after my first competition ). Seriously though, it took me a lot of getting used to in the beginning, as I was used to AC at the globo gym. But once you get used to it, it's not as bad as you think. Without coming off *****y, I kind of have to say, "suck it up buttercup!"
Old 06-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Because AC is stupid expensive and a lot of CF gyms in industrial space might not even have it.

Even with AC, I've had kids wasting away in gyms with it. I found allowing them to chew on ice cubes during training was the best solution besides making sure the apparatus was in the shade and not sunlight of windows and we had lots of air going around.

The heat is really nice on the joints too. Makes warming up EZ.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Calcagni View Post
My box has no AC. We work out in the high heat and humidity year round in South Florida. I like to think if I were to compete somewhere AC'd I'd preform way better than someone used to it. (I'll let you know after my first competition ). Seriously though, it took me a lot of getting used to in the beginning, as I was used to AC at the globo gym. But once you get used to it, it's not as bad as you think. Without coming off *****y, I kind of have to say, "suck it up buttercup!"
Wow buttercup! And that's from a female!
Old 06-29-2013, 03:22 AM   #7
Steven Wingo

Profile:

If it is really too hot, and your are going to do a longer workout, look for some other ways to avoid the severest heat of the day. One easy way is to work out in the morning or later in the evening. When you can't avoid the hottest times of day, keep those workouts shorter and make sure to stay very well hydrated that day before your workout. If you want to get really sophisticated, you can get an ice vest to wear before your workout to lower your core body temperature by a degree or so before your work out. Many endurance athletes do so before events in hot venues.

The bottom line, however, is that most people will not get heat exhaustion when they work in the heat for a shorter period of time as long as they are well hydrated. You do a longer workout like Murph in 95 degree heat with 80% humidity, well be very careful. If you do a Fran style workout in those some conditions you are not likely to develop heatstroke if you came in to the workout well hydrated.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #8
Michael Pollak

Profile:

It just comes down to common sense ..... Everyone needs to workout smart. Push yourself... Yes. Injure yourself, hell no!

On very hot and humid days, be smart and back off the pace a bit..... It's very good for you to be able to know where your " line " is. Push up to your line but don't cross it. For the most part, ( unless you have an underlying health issue) most people's " line " is much further than they think it is, the only way to find out is to push the boundaries a bit and get out of your comfort zone.

That said ..... Yep another Floridian here.... I keep lots and lots of water available and I take a small six pack cooler with a wet beach towel and some ice packs and wrap myself in it for rapid cool down.... Really helps post WOD ( got that trick from doing dog shows... We wrap the dogs in an icey towel to keep them from panting and drooling prior to getting in the ring). Yep I'm a dog!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #9
Bryan Spillman

Profile:

To be honest I was letting off some steam lol. I do have an extreme issue with hydration. I can often lose up to 4 lbs. or more during an hour long crossfit session. AC isn't the answer, but I did notice that most "boxes" don't have it or don't use it.

#HotInOhio
Old 06-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

As an owner I made sure I had A/C. It was part of my lease negotiation.

As consumers paying for memberships you get to choose if you join a box with or without A/C.

I live in AZ and wouldn't join a box that didn't have A/C.

My gym is about 2,400 square feet and my electric bill goes from $100 in the winter to $500 in the summer. Just part of the cost of doing business.

I have the A/C set at 78 all summer long. Sometimes for really big classes when it is very hot outside the A/C can't keep up and it gets to 80 or 81. Not so bad considering it was 115 or so out yesterday.

As there are more and more gyms competitions should force these kinds of improvements.