CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Amber Honeycutt

Profile:
Lower back pain. Tendon/ligament issue?

As of the past few months, whenever I have a semi-heavy lift day, my lower back starts to get a "cramp" or muscle spasm. It's hard to explain. I've went to the chiropractor, gotten x-rays and nothing is wrong with my spine. I took a good 3 weeks off from lifting and started back the past 2 weeks. I went for maxes on power cleans on Saturday and tried to go running on Sunday. I couldn't even run for more than a few minutes because the pain was so bad. It's so frustrating. I don't know what it is. Obviously it is coming from lifting but you can't tell someone who is an avid crossfitter to stop lifting. Any ideas what this could be? Or if I should go to the doctor? I'm afraid to go to the doctor just for him to tell me to "rest" for 2 months.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:
Re: Lower back pain. Tendon/ligament issue?

Sounds like this could be anything from poor form or flexibility issues to trying to usetoo much weight. If the chiro didn't help, and you think it is muscular in nature, have you tried a masseuse who specializes in sports or deep tissue massage?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Aaron Wayne Campbell

Profile:

I'd consider further eval. X rays aren't great for looking at muscles, discs and spinal cord. Consider seeing a good physical therapist at least. You may ultimately need an MRI if not improving. I wouldn't do anything that reproduces pain in the meantime, you could make things worse. I know it's hard to sit out, but you need to be careful. Good luck!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:

I started doing the mobilitywod.com workouts about 2 weeks ago, all lower back pain is gone. I used to take a muscle relaxer every night before going to bed, which helped a lot, but now I dont need them. while you are exploring other options, I highly recommend checking out that site.

go to the very last page and start with vid 1...
Old 02-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
Barry Stockbrugger

Profile:

I would agree with checking out MobilityWOD.com, however, it is helpful to know where to start.

When you tried running, was it continuous and how long could you go before it became uncomfortable/painful? Using shorter intervals may allow you to do some running without issue. Then increase as tolerated.

When you do some of the weightlifting movements with a PVC pipe (or MedBall cleans) and working the mobility/flexibility aspect of the movements do you still get pain? Or do you feel like there are movement restrictions or decreasedmobility that may help narrow where the issue is coming from.

If you have a coach that has worked with you and recognizes when you move well, maybe they can help you assess your movement/mobility for hitches or glitches in movement quality. But I would recommend not using a load. Use body weight or PVC. This could provide clues as well. Especially if you end up going to a physical therapist or doctor. They will take a history and the more info you can provide, the better they are able to help you.

Make sure anything you do in the gym is preceded by extra warm-up and mobility work. It could be any number of things. But if it feels like muscle spasm or cramps, it could be fascia in the lower back binding not allowing your movement to be normal and then overlaodiing other tissues.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
Daniel Pope

Profile:

I like the advice everyone else gave. Would be a great idea to see a physical therapist as well. Obviously we'd need more information to give you a better idea of how to approach fixing this.

I'd make sure you can keep an absolutely flat back (neutral spine) during all squatting, deadlifting and oly lifts. On top of that make absolute sure that your spine doesn't round when you are fatigued in a met-con or when maxing (Have someone video you and be honest).

Keeping a neutral spine is also very important during overhead press. Clean that up if that's an issue Keep in mind that you'll need to keep your spine in a good position during kipping pull-ups, toes to bar, muscle-ups etc.

Most people I see with lower back pain have some technique issues to deal with. Hope that's helpful and maybe we can give you a bit more advice when you get back to us with specifics.

Dan Pope
Old 04-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Amber Honeycutt

Profile:

Thanks for all the input guys..Since the posting, I've continued to do WODS, and there are a few days where my back is okay, but it's a chronic thing I'm feeling. I've decided that I really need to focus and pinpoint what exactly this is, so I've taken this whole week off from any lifting and will begin using just the 35 lb barbell with movements next week; increasing weight each week. If I start to feel pain even with the light weights then i will be heading to a doctor because I honestly have never been so frustrated with something. It's very annoying to have a pain in my back when i'm just WALKING, which I noticed last weekend. I'm too young to have back issues! I want to figure this out, I'm thinking it could possibly be something more than a muscle issue at this point. But thank you all for your help I will post with any more information later regarding my problems
Old 04-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Might be time to back off a bit and see a professional. If you're exercising with pain chronically you might end up getting to the point where you really damage something and are forced to take some time off.

At the very least figure out which exercises are offending your pain and modify them. No need to walk around with pain all day long just to say you rx'd a workout.