CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-13-2004, 06:03 PM   #1
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Just a simple question...how long does it take to induce ketosis? I've heard some Atkins people say that it takes from 2 days to 2 weeks to enter ketosis. I searched the forum as well as Google and couldn't really find anything. It doesn't seem logical to me though....once the body has rid itself of glucose, wouldn't it move over to ketone production?

Someone please clue me in.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:51 PM   #2
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
The info you had is right on. It can take around 3 days to 2 weeks. It varies from individual to individual. The only way you can find out is to do it. Also, you usually enter it faster after doing it a few times.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:11 PM   #3
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

This is highly dependent on the individual. The easiest way to get into ketosis is to keep your fat intake at 80-90% of your calories for 2-3 days and eat zero carbs. That should get you showing ketones on a strip ;)

-Jay
Old 05-14-2004, 06:16 AM   #4
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
As a paramedic, i have one question; WHY? This is not a healthy state. keytones are byproduct of fat/protein breakdown in the absence of glucose. we are not in ethiopia here, so EAT.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:05 AM   #5
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Dale, it was a simple question to provide some information, but thank you for your concern.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:43 AM   #6
Brian Hand

Profile:

Dale, the Atkins diet and variants are ketogenic by design. Ketogenic diets have been studied for over sixty years. I think they are safe when done right and the proper precautions are taken. Of course this is a huge running debate.

By the way, the best way to hasten the onset of ketosis is to burn that stored glycogen (not just glucose). If you are going to go very low carb, ketosis is desirable. Generally you start feeling good once you begin burning ketones - your metabolism has adjusted to burning fat.

Old 05-20-2004, 10:57 AM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Dale-

Ketosis is NOT keto acidosis. Understanding the distinction is pretty important in understanding integrated fuel metabolism.
Robb
Old 05-20-2004, 03:31 PM   #8
Scott Parker

Profile:
simply put, ketosis means the prescence of ketones. keto acidosis means there are so many ketones present that one is in a state of acidosis.

i really don't think anyone here could actually put themselves into keto acidosis even if they tried (not really sure why you would want to do that). in order to actually go acidotic you have to ingest absolutely no CHOs. heck, toothpaste probably even has a small enough amout. it is very hard to achieve this is a normal healthy person.

the only time i have ever seen someone actually go into keto acidosis is in DM-I. due to an autoimmune disorder their pancreas lacks the ability to produce insulin. when someone is in a state of keto-acidosis their blood sugar is usually elevated, but can't utilize it because they don't produce the insulin. as a result the body actually ends up consuming itself; breaking itself down. when it does this ketones are produced as a result. if it goes on for a certain period of time you will go into a state of acidosis.

please correct me if i am wrong, as i am only a lowly NREMT-B, and RN student!

scott