CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
T Michael Tucker

Profile:
Powered by CrossFit?

I've noticed a few affiliates that have something like "Anytown Fitness - Powered by CrossFit" as their box name as opposed to "CrossFit Anytown" or "Anytown CrossFit", etc. How does that work?

The reason I ask is that I currently run a small martial arts school. I got my L1 last year and have been training a couple of guys at the school. I'm considering affiliating once I get the martial arts school where I want it.

I would prefer to have the affiliation and the martial arts school as a single entity for legal/tax/accounting reasons rather than have to have two separate entities. Also for ease of naming. The school is pretty established in the area so I would like to use that as a springboard rather than come up with a whole new name to promote, or change names completely.

If I have to have them as two separate entities, so be it.

Any and all advice is appreciated!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Powered by CrossFit?

Names are just names. You can choose how you want to position yourself.

You can use one corporate structure for both the martial arts school and the CrossFit gym.

You might want to keep them separate for a bunch of reasons. I know early on it is easier but what if one grows much larger then the other? What if you want to run one and sell one?

It is easier to start things independently then try to separate them in the future.

I can't remember the exact rules (business law class was more then 20 years ago) but you can have 1 business that owns 2 subsidiary businesses. Then for taxes and bookkeeping you have 1 parent company and the profits flow up to the parent.

I believe there is a relatively simple way to do this. Check with a lawyer because I vaguely remember there are rules about which business structure can own other business structures.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:

Not sure if HQ allows "Powered by CrossFit" any more. I tried to do Champions Club powered by CrossFit as my affiliate name but they said they didn't do that any more. So we just went with CrossFit Athletic Group. Legally, the business name is still under Champions Club, Inc. and our sign out front says CrossFit Athletic Group - Home of the Champions Club. Just a few ideas. Hope that helps
Old 08-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Jennifer Brannon

Profile:

We started as a Martial Arts school, then added CrossFit. We have a parent company and dba (doing business as) as Vanguard Gym (Martial Arts) and CrossFit Manassas. Our Oly Lifting team is Vanguard Gym Barbell Club. Everyone is part of Vanguard Gym and CrossFit is a part of what we offer here. We have the Vanguard Gym website (WFS)that has everything on it. Our CrossFit Manassas website (WFS) is CrossFit only.

Hope this helps.