CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:58 AM   #491
Mark D Shaw

Profile:
Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit

K - sought / found. Thanks Dale Saran
Old 08-13-2012, 05:28 AM   #492
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I was just at the CrossFit Tour event in Montana. It was an AMAZING experience for which I am extremely grateful for having been allowed to attend. I was there for the speech coach gave in that video. I had the chance to speak with him. I'm so in it isn't funny... CrossFit is 100% legit and it need to continue to be run by the individuals responsible for its incredible growth and success.
Chris,

Sounds like you had a good weekend. Other than serving the CF community, do you CrossFit these days or plan on opening a CF affiliate?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #493
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Chris,

Sounds like you had a good weekend. Other than serving the CF community, do you CrossFit these days or plan on opening a CF affiliate?
I'd pay to see Chris do double unders. LOL. Glad you had a great time Chris.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #494
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Berger View Post
Re: Anthos is trying to take over CrossFit
This video from Greg Glassman does a great job of explaining what we have to lose if we start allowing third party investors/owners in CrossFit:

https://www.facebook.com/crossfit/posts/457820020916708 WFS

Sorry for the double post, looks like someone already linked to this!
I've never met Coach Glassman and this is probably the first time I've seen him speak. Until watching this I wouldn't know the man if he walked up and kicked me in the junk. I thought it was very well done. Coach Glassman's vision is pretty clear and I just don't see how any, not just Anthos, private equity or VC could help move that vision in the right direction. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #495
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Hagen View Post
The big question has to be this -“Why would you (Anthos) want to get married to (Glassman) when he doesn’t want you??” and if you just want to get married to Glassman/Crossfit “Why do you want to have a dysfunctional marriage right out of the gate?” You are eBay and he’s Craig Newmark. Don’t say you’re the same when he’s saying you’re fundamentally different. I understand it’s your own capital that you invest so that only reinforces matters… its “your money," put it in a company where the management team and you meet eye to eye and they welcome your money, your ideas and your strategic thinking. Hey, that’s what VCs / investment firms do. Unless…unless they have a hidden agenda or long term motive of an eventual hostile takeover.
In my opinion your last sentence here is exactly what the agenda is...I don't understand why anyone believes Anthos will come in and keep things status quo...They would have to be the most generous and ridiculous business men in history.

That scenario is the only one that makes no sense to me...even though that's exactly what the video Mr. Kelly sent me said he was going to do. Quite frankly I don't buy it, it isn't logical.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #496
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Look I'm not saying I trust Anthos or know their intentions, but if it were MY money why is there not incentive to get in on half of a business that almost doubles in size every year? Maybe they do think they can do it better and will wreck everything, but is it so outrageous to think they just see a fat money train and want to ride it?
Old 08-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #497
Rob Poling Jr

Profile:

CrossFit is not about the mainstream social club gym hangout crowd but for people willing to take their training to a higher level, Anthos want to market CF to the social club crowd as something that is easy and anyone can do.

Believing that Anthos, after paying all that money for an equal partnership in a business, will sit back and let someone else run it is just being naive. It would be like splitting the price of a Ferrari with someone but not being allowed to drive the car even though you own half of it.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #498
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Mmmmmm. No it's not like that at all. It's more like giving someone a lot of money with the idea that I might get a ton back for doing absolutely nothing.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #499
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Mmmmmm. No it's not like that at all. It's more like giving someone a lot of money with the idea that I might get a ton back for doing absolutely nothing.
...and HOW exactly do you envision Anthos getting a return on their 20M? Affiliate fees? Cert fees? Unless they seriously change the model and go after the "money on the table", the math just does not add up dude.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #500
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I don't know. I'm not into the math. If it doesn't add up the. It doesn't and I'm wrong. I guess I just assumed CF was a cash cow from certs, fees, and ticket sales. I envisioned Anthos sharing in those profits. Does HQ not gross that much?