CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #401
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit

I'm 100% behind CrossFit and I hope everything works out for everyone.

It is obvious that there is no trust between HQ and Anthos. I think the best thing to do is for everyone to sit down and discuss things in private because the way things are going right now, it isn't going to end well for anyone. In the end no one going to win or look good.

So why doesn't everyone just put the keyboards down and slowly step away from the computer. LOL.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #402
Barry Stockbrugger

Profile:
Question Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit

I recieved emails from both Lauren and Bryan Kelly both containing links to the video in question. I have to say, I did not hear or see anything that benefitted their case in my view.

Agreed, Lauren has every right to sell her portion of CrossFit, but if Coach and the CF HQ staff are not supportive of the new potential partner, then how could there be a working relationship that facilitates and fosters growth?

I just have a hard time thinking that it could work over the long term let alone over the short term.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #403
Scott Hunter

Profile:

The sad reality of this situation is that the combined forces of capitalism and divorce will eventually win, even if it's not in the form of Anthos. LA Dodgers = case in point. If this Anthos deal is somehow averted, HQ needs to play the corporate game even if it's not in their DNA because there are a lot of other sharks in the water who already smell blood. Just curious why GG doesn't make a deal w/ Anthos to buy 1% so the relationship may actually have a chance of working??
Old 08-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #404
Nathan Holmes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hunter View Post
Just curious why GG doesn't make a deal w/ Anthos to buy 1% so the relationship may actually have a chance of working??
I'm curious as well. That seems like as close to a win win win as one could hope for.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #405
Steve Kane

Profile:

I've been Crossfitting for about 18 months, most of the time at an affiliate and more recently in my garage due to my schedule. Love the community but don't have a dog in the hunt.

This whole thread is proof that the organization is growing beyond the ability of the leadership to manage it. I guess this is the new internet age, but a social media battle is no way to handle a business deal. It feels juvenille to rally the troops to action with no action for them to take. Maybe it makes people to feel better to post things on Facebook but I can't see how that sways the court.

I've long thought that bringing some business basics to the model would vastly improve both the growth and the profitability of the company. Profit isn't bad people, as Crossfitters you know that we live in a world where the strong survive and the weak get eaten. That doesn't mean that profit is the only goal, obviously companies that succeed meet a need / serve a market. But - if you neglect sound business principles you leave yourself open to risk. Every business is for sale whether it likes it or not.

Fact is that being a great coach or athlete doesn't necessarily make you a good business owner. Nor should it. The sad thing is that if Anthos is sincere, I can't see how having additional, optional resources from professional business people would be a bad thing. Affiliates are the only things that matter in this model - and making the affiliates successful via helping them run their business and allowing them more time to coach seems like common sense.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #406
Randy Hill

Profile:

So scared of "watered down" Crossfit mass produced for profit...
Old 08-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #407
Skip Chase

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kane View Post
I've been Crossfitting for about 18 months, most of the time at an affiliate and more recently in my garage due to my schedule. Love the community but don't have a dog in the hunt.

This whole thread is proof that the organization is growing beyond the ability of the leadership to manage it. I guess this is the new internet age, but a social media battle is no way to handle a business deal. It feels juvenille to rally the troops to action with no action for them to take. Maybe it makes people to feel better to post things on Facebook but I can't see how that sways the court.

I've long thought that bringing some business basics to the model would vastly improve both the growth and the profitability of the company. Profit isn't bad people, as Crossfitters you know that we live in a world where the strong survive and the weak get eaten. That doesn't mean that profit is the only goal, obviously companies that succeed meet a need / serve a market. But - if you neglect sound business principles you leave yourself open to risk. Every business is for sale whether it likes it or not.

Fact is that being a great coach or athlete doesn't necessarily make you a good business owner. Nor should it. The sad thing is that if Anthos is sincere, I can't see how having additional, optional resources from professional business people would be a bad thing. Affiliates are the only things that matter in this model - and making the affiliates successful via helping them run their business and allowing them more time to coach seems like common sense.
Steve- we have excellent leadership. It is all the staff at HQ, led by Coach Greg Glassman. It's been that way long before I discovered CrossFit. You only have to search the internet, you tube and this website to make that determination. Coach is the rock of CrossFit.

I discovered CrossFit in August of 05. I attended 6 CrossFit certifications from September of 05 to December 06. The first few I was a student, and then I was a trainer at those certs. Who was the leader? Coach. Who taught the lectures? Coach. Who was writing the majority of the journal articles? Coach. Who was guiding us and giving us advise on how to establish our affiliates? Coach. Who were we calling to discuss concerns, problems, etc.? Coach. Who was talking to the military and other government agency's? Coach. Who spoke to, taught and lectured us at affiliate gatherings? Coach.
I'm sorry, but I do not recall receiving any lectures, training nor advise from Lauren. I am sure she was there somewhere, but I don't recall a lecture, a training, a speech by Lauren. I don't recall seeing an instructional video by her. Coach has been the hands on leader of this organization, with the strength and knowledge to designate authority and select the soldiers who would lead this organization. (HQ staff)

I've been an affiliate since Oct 05. I like the affiliate program just as it is. If I want to sell supps, t-shirts, shoes or anything else I want, I can. If I don't, I don't have to. I am free to make my own choices.

If I suck as a trainer, I will fail. If I am a good trainer and have the humility to follow advise given on this website, I will succeed. If the affiliate down the street sucks and fails, it has no effect on me and what I do. If the affiliate down the street takes 1/2 of my members, I'd better learn from it, get my act together and make a change, or I am going to fail.

I too, received the email and video from Lauren and Bryan Kelly. I'm 60 with a lot of life and corporate experience. I replied by saying, "No thank you. I'm not that naive." Best regards.

I like things just the way they are and support HQ and Coach 100%.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #408
Michael V. Erickson

Profile:

I am not a trainer or an affiliate owner, here are my observations from 40 plus working years. Every business or organization has a culture which reflects the values of the guy running it. The people he attracts, customers and the members of his organization have these values. If the people on top change, the company culture changes. If the company survives it eventually has a different set of customers and different people working in the organization who have a new set of values reflecting the new management. It may have the same name but it's not the same company or product. I like Greg Glassman's vision and values and would like Crossfit to continue under his complete control.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #409
Jose Sanchez

Profile:

I don't know if this has been brought up, I have read the whole thread but there are a lot pages to try to remember. Has a representative from Reebok spoken on this matter. They have a big contract with CrossFit. With sponsoring the games and having CrossFit specific clothing/assecories/shoes, not to mention the Reebok Crossfit boxes, don't they have a lot at stake here also. Don't know the details of their relationship with CrossFit, just something that came up in conversation with a client.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #410
Patrick McCarty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kane View Post

Steve, very well said. And it does not have to be a criticism of CFHQ to state that realistically, the company has grown beyond the point of the current leadership to manage it. That, unfortunately, sometimes happens when businesses explode in growth. It's why corporations that were started by a couple of upstarts end up with Boards of Directors and CEOs, etc.

Is it possible, and is it heresy, to ask the question - might a corporate partner who specializes in growth, vision, and profitability actually be a potentially good merger? Is there something the affiliates are overlooking by slamming their doors and saying "no thanks"? IS there room for growth, professionally and corporately?

I am just asking the question. But I think if the answer is "no - we're fine. Everything is fine. There is NOTHING that needs to be improved.." then we're being naive as a community.