CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #381
Keith Homfeldt

Profile:
Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Berger View Post

...which means the offer in question is potential evidence in our upcoming court decision, we have every reason to avoid dragging this out in a messy public forum.
I'm sorry...but this statement if pure lulz.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #382
Michael Henry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Pretty simple actually. I think the overwhelming majority of the good ones(meaning profitable, with good business model) will leave. The weak may stay, however, those are the ones that Anthos probably doesn't want anyway. You have to figure over 50% of the affiliates are run by someone who has no business running an actual business, or training for that matter.
I agree with this 99%. I would think the top 1/3 of affiliates don't need a HQ to be successful. They already have clients, a sound business plan, and a foothold in their community to continue to grow. Streamlining the affiliate model (whatever changes Anthos would try to implement) and keeping the CF name would be targeted at the middle and lower 1/3 of affiliates. Out of those 2/3's, most will have to stay with Anthos because they are too invested in just having the CF name (advertising, T-shirts, etc) to cut ties, so the safe money will be to stay on board.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:32 AM   #383
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Yes, but after class B shares of Crossfit are given to those affiliates who stay on, and then the company goes public where will deserters be left? Crossfit the movie will come out and they will be portrayed as fair weather friends and lost opportunists. Yes, of course the stock will trade up for a while, until the crash when word gets out that anyone can do Crossfit at home and that paying a $1500/year membership is not required. Speculation aside, whatever happens is going to set fitness back for decades.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #384
Scott McIntyre

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pär Larsson View Post
If Anthos succeeds I'm not sure I'd really want to continue to be associated with the brand "CrossFit". Maybe just build a new brand called "CrossGreg"?
I said this exact same thing. I bet the majority of the 4000 affiliates feel the same way. The thing is, we have our members, we have the community. You can't take CrossFit away from me, you can change the name, change the rules but Im still going to bust my *** and the asses of my athletes and program wods the same way I do now and always have.

I will always love CrossFit, no matter what. If Anthos comes in and messes with that, Coach is smart enough to figure something out and I will follow. Remember, "“The magic is in the movement, the art is in the programming, the science is in the explanation, and the fun is in the community.” Greg Glassman
Old 08-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #385
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Henry View Post
I agree with this 99%. I would think the top 1/3 of affiliates don't need a HQ to be successful. They already have clients, a sound business plan, and a foothold in their community to continue to grow. Streamlining the affiliate model (whatever changes Anthos would try to implement) and keeping the CF name would be targeted at the middle and lower 1/3 of affiliates. Out of those 2/3's, most will have to stay with Anthos because they are too invested in just having the CF name (advertising, T-shirts, etc) to cut ties, so the safe money will be to stay on board.
I beg to differ. Someone that thinks like you doesn't understand the power of the CrossFit name and brand. People pay a big premium to train at a CrossFit facility. If you lose that affiliation, or the CrossFit name loses its luster, you will begin to see the erosion of people willing to pay $150 a month for group training. I really think CrossFit affiliates should appreciate the business opportunity that CrossFit, IN ITS CURRENT CONFIGURATION, affords them and that is just part of the reason they should support coach Glassman and his camp.

Last edited by Chris Mason : 08-07-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #386
Brian Strump

Profile:

I agree. The very last think I would choose to do is jump ship. But willing to do so if that's what was needed, or decided upon. The CrossFit brand is a great label to have. I would hate to lose it, and would expect growth to suffer because people will not be looking for "Brian's Gym".
However, I do not think our current members would leave because of it. Hell, I just had a trainer jump ship, and has a price point $50 less, and 3 miles away, and we lost 5 out of 150. If they didn't leave for $50, they won't if CrossFit is not on the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I beg to differ. Someone that thinks like you doesn't understand the power of the CrossFit name and brand. People pay a big premium to train at a CrossFit facility. If you lose that affiliation, or the CrossFit name loses its luster, you will begin to see the erosion of people willing to pay $150 a month for group training. I really think CrossFit affiliates should appreciate the business opportunity that CrossFit, IN ITS CURRENT CONFIGURATION, affords them and that is just part of the reason they should support coach Glassman and his camp.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #387
Brian Strump

Profile:

I was actually giving some the benefit of the doubt. Over 50% of small businesses fail in ANY economy. Let alone the worst we've ever seen. Add to that they are popping up from people that have zero business smarts, or skill as a trainer.

I know...People email me asking questions....And my first 2 questions are the above;
Do you know $hit about running a business? The ENTIRE thing.
Do you know $hit about training?
Do you know $hit about $hit?

The answers will frighten you. I don't care how much you love CrossFit, or how much it changed your life. Passion does not a successful business make. In business, the glass is always half empty.

So 3 questions. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V. Erickson View Post
This seems pretty far off the mark to me. What is your basis for saying this? Certainly there will be a few weak affiliates which probably won't last long, certainly not in a strong market area for CF, but 50%? I've visited at least half a dozen affiliates in my area, all have their strengths, none are weak.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #388
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

There's no question in my mind that it would hurt affiliates if they "lost" the CrossFit brand.

However, I think the proven results and word-of-mouth at the community level would keep well-run affiliates alive and doing well even if they weren't associated with the CrossFit brand. I believe this to be especially true in smaller areas that only have a box or two. People take notice when their friends or coworkers get stronger, faster and start raving about eating like a caveman.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #389
Michael Henry

Profile:

Quote:
We actually just made the exact same point. I was speaking in the event of worse case scenario and if it comes to the point of affiliates actually leaving CF. The top ones can still prosper because they have established themselves. The newer ones will have more difficulty because they haven't had the chance to really build a reputation other than the fact that they have CF in their name. Those are the boxes that will have less options IF the configuration changes.

Also, I'm speaking in terms of the whole idea of "leaving money on the table, and looking at where an outside company can see where an opportunity exists. I could also see a case where, say the 'new' affiliate configure just comes with increased fees and they offer some additional administrative options for an affiliate. Then those top 1/3 affiliates would just pay the extra money and continue to operate as usual. HQ 2.0 collects additional money for a minimal amount of extra work.

Last edited by Michael Henry : 08-07-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #390
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
I agree

Last edited by Steve Liberati : 08-07-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: my original post was not relevant to the discussion