CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-07-2004, 06:31 AM   #1
Roy

Profile:

There are many foods that just arent on that website such as blueberries, raspberries, nectarines, cane sugar, and the list goes on. What are some other sources? And does anyone know the GI of berries and nectarines?

Cheers

Roy
Old 04-07-2004, 08:32 AM   #2
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
I know that this wasn't your question, but I've read some articles lately that claim the Insulin Index is a more valuable tool than the Glycemic Index. In the spirit of hijacking a thread :happy:, does anybody know more about this or have good references?

Roy:

I wasn't able to find much, but most berries seem to have a good glycemic index, all lower than fifty.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:47 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Neill-
You are right. And, it gets even murkier from there.

Glycemic index refers to a raise in blood glucose levels.

Glycemic load is how much carbs one ingests.

Insulin index refers to the insulin response to a given meal.

One can have a low GI meal with a huge GL and a small insulin response by eating fructose. This however is a recipe for disaster because fructose deranges liver function and causes almost immediate insulin resistance. As fructose is a ketone sugar it is more prone to participate in non-enzymatic glycosolation of proteins. Not good.

This can get complex and confusing to say the least. The way around it is to eat foods which are regarded to be "paleo" and "in season". This creates built in variability and can save one quite a bit of headache.
Robb

Old 04-07-2004, 10:10 AM   #4
Jason Lauer

Profile:
Robb, Does this mean that having a meal with fruits being the main or only carbohydrate bad? I tend to eat apples, oranges, and berries mostly since I pretty much fixed my bread problem.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:54 AM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jason-

Fructose replenishes liver glycogen first and once that is done we start getting fat spill over with additional fructose. Low glycemic LOAD but high glycemic INDEX fruits like mellon, berries and citrus are perhaps better. I would just work to get a variety of fruit and veggies, preferably local and in season.
Robb
Old 04-07-2004, 01:18 PM   #6
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Robb - Very interesting what you were saying about fructose...."This however is a recipe for disaster because fructose deranges liver function and causes almost immediate insulin resistance. As fructose is a ketone sugar it is more prone to participate in non-enzymatic glycosolation of proteins. Not good.".... what does this mean? Are you refering to a deranged liver function from that which is created via the 'Metabolic Shift'? Also are you meaning long-term and continued overspill of the liver causing glucose dominance and therefore gradual insulin resistance, or is there some more immediate reaction to fructose?

Could you also educate me a little about ketone sugars. I only thought that ketones could be derived from fats or ketogenic aminos?

I'm asking because I use fructose as a 'liver-support' during my longest sessions.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:21 PM   #7
Roy

Profile:

Funny that starches are "Bad" and now fruit is "bad" because of the fructose. What carbohydrates are good, besides leafy green vegetables(which is just fiber anyway)?

The fruit I eat is mixed berries, apples, grapes, and peaches. Bad, right?

Cheers

Roy
Old 04-08-2004, 08:49 AM   #8
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Roy -

Don't think too heavy about it. If you're getting where you need to be, then you're doing something right. :happy:
Old 04-08-2004, 04:00 PM   #9
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Paul-Try putting fructose an dliver function into pubmed. I think that will track down the items you need.

Sugars come in aldehyde and ketone varieties. this refers to their active group which is involved in reactions with othr molecules and with themselves when in the cyclic isomer. Put "aldehyde ketone sugar" into google and you should get some good stuff there.

Roy-

It is not that any of this is "bad" but what happens reegarding the metabolic and hormonal consequences of eating these foods can get complex...if you let it!
Old 04-09-2004, 01:29 AM   #10
Jan de Jong

Profile:

Roy, just eat the fruits. It's almost impossible to get you carb requirement in from just leafy green veggies. Some guys are taking it way to far, no fruit, no nuts, no coffee. What's next, no sex and living like a monk? Just do what feels right. If you are happy with the way your preformance is going and your BF% in check don't worry about it. Besides fruits contain tons of nutrients that are of benifit to you.

Jan.