CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-09-2004, 03:37 AM   #1
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

I've been taking a break from the WOD and have been following the BEAR program from Power to The People. The first couple of days I followed the program I was absolutely torn up afterward. Yesterday, I decided to try a malto+protein shake post workout. I did get a little lightheaded, from the insulin no doubt; however, today I woke up without any soreness whatsoever and I feel damn good on 6 hours of sleep. I'll only be spiking the insulin 3-4 times a week. I'll keep everyone posted on how it works out for me.

-Jonathon
Old 04-09-2004, 07:18 AM   #2
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Jay - What does the BEAR program consist of? I'm not familiar with it.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:39 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jay-
you should be spiking insulin 3-4 x per YEAR! Go easy on that stuff.
Robb
Old 04-09-2004, 08:54 AM   #4
Brian Hand

Profile:

Jay, lately I've been drinking whey during my workouts and I think it makes a lot of sense. I shake up 40-50g in two or three cups of icewater before I warm up, and drink a little after each exercise or circuit. I finsh what's left as soon as I'm done. I wonder what would happen if you tried this.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:24 AM   #5
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Robb Wolf, Jonathan et al.,

O.K., now I'm really hooked. How do you recover from high-volume workouts without the insulin spike? What should I read to understand the answer to this question - neither Sears nor Cordain seem to have anything to say about post-workout nutrition. Is NHE the book that addreses this?

Thanks,

Ross Hunt
Old 04-09-2004, 09:32 AM   #6
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Brian,

A friend of mine recommended taking a glutamine/BCAA mix (ICE) just before and during the beginning of high-volume workouts. I was skeptical about it at first, but the results have been phenomenal; I performed high-volume squats, some good mornings, and high-volume ring dips and L-Pull-Ups without any DOMS.
I am beginning a regimen that involves high-volume squatting on a regular basis, so I'll keep you posted, if you like, if I discover anything that confirms or impugns the effectiveness of the stuff.

Ross Hunt
Old 04-09-2004, 10:42 AM   #7
Paul Kayley

Profile:
I read somewhere that glutamine supplementation is over-rated. It was suggested that an incredibly low % of the ingested glutamine made it past the various stages of digestion and absorption???
Old 04-09-2004, 11:34 AM   #8
Brian Hand

Profile:

Paul, if I am not mistaken, you do lose some of what you ingest but it is cheap, you can take a lot, and enough gets through to make it worthwhile. Anecdotally, glutamine has been good for me on the first day or two of a ketogenic diet, and a number of people I passed that suggestion on to reported similar good results.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:57 PM   #9
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Good old USA... the stuff costs an arm and a leg over here in Blighty!!
Old 04-10-2004, 12:59 PM   #10
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Kevin,

The BEAR program is high volume and concentrates on the big compound lifts. I personally selected deadlift, squat, military press, and bench. You find your 5 RM and then use 70% of your 5RM for as many sets as possible before your form breaks down. The program is outlined in Power to The People and you can find more info on it by using the search engine over at the dragondoor.com forums. If you have anymore Q's, please ask.

Rob,

I'm just testing things out. NHE had me spiking my insulin twice a week, at night (with unlimited amounts of carbs). In my mind, this is actually safer (though I could be wrong). By spiking it directly after working out, your body is able to deal with the carbs and use them to replenish glycogen stores (a much needed process after a 50 minute workout with deadlifts and bench). This will only keep going till I stop this cycle.

-Jay