CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:
Training only two days a week

A good friend of mine has asked me to "get him back in shape" for his upcoming/current soccer season. Now, I am not the brightest when it comes to programming/sports conditioning, but John Welbourne IS! So, my logic is to just train them to the best of my ability through CFFB programming. Here's the issue, he only comes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, CFFB is a 5-6 day a week program. They only have one hour (I've got more time, he doesn't). Any thoughts on what I can do to improve the programming? Or am I headed down the right path with one strength session and one short conditioning WOD per session.

Thoughts?

(I did a search for this on the forums, kept returning "too few word" arguments even though I had like 8 words)
Old 05-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Preston Sprimont

Profile:
Re: Training only two days a week

I'm pretty sure Jim Wendler's training is 2 days per week of lifting, 2 days of conditioning, and 2 days of lots of mobility. That's six days, obviously, but my point is you can get plenty strong lifting just 2 days a week (and probably decently conditioned as well).
I haven't purchased the 5/3/1 book yet, but I'm pretty sure Wendler includes a 2 day per week plan in there. I'm sure there are dozens of other 2 day strength programs out there as well. If your friend is limited to an hour, that's probably enough time for an intense strength workout and a short and sweet conditioning circuit, some prowler pushes/sled pulls, or some sprint repeats. You could even do a simple linear progression + conditioning. Something like:

Day 1 -
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Power Clean 5x3
Pull-up 3x max
Short conditioning

Day 2 -
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
DB or BB row 3x5
Short conditioning
Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

I have 5/3/1 - it does have a two day plan in there, I had forgotten about that. My only concern is how terrible I am at programming and why I gave up on 5/3/1 for myself after a few months, I would do the 5/3/1 as prescribed, but I would spend entirely too much of my off time figuring out what to pair with what. It also has very little oly lifting which *I* enjoy. It might work for him though, I'll re-asses that thought. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You can do 5/3/1 or GSLP on a two day per week rotation pretty easily. I made a lot of strength progress last fall by doing GSLP with press/squat on one day and bench/deadlift on the other, and throwing in stuff like weighted pullups/dips and extra assistance work like RDLs and DB rows when I needed them.

Last edited by Eric Montgomery : 05-29-2012 at 12:37 PM.