CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Dynamic Efforts, and Accomodating resistance

Crap! I forgot today...
Old 06-02-2012, 04:09 AM   #12
Kent Newland

Profile:

Happens to the best of us.

I de-loaded the bar for front squats yesterday, which is my DE day. I put 95 pounds on the bar, and hung the chains off of each side, for about 70 additional pounds. I could definitely move the bar a lot faster, although I could feel myself start to slow down after about 7-8 sets. At first I went with 135 +chains, but I still couldn't move the bar very fast. I figured that 95+chains was just about 55% of my 1RM, so it seemed like a good place to start. Next week is a de-load for me, and then back to heavy things again.

Kent
Old 06-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
Shawn Bellon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Newland View Post
I've read most of the way through Louie Simmon's Westside Barbell book. I was apparently confused, as I did not realize that you are supposed to use accommodating resistance in addition to a smaller percentage of 1RM.

My 1RM for Front Squats is 305. I loaded ~50% on the bar, 150 pounds. I then added the chains that we have in our gym, which added about 70 pounds total. I felt like I couldn't generate velocity in the bar, that I was moving too slowly. I'm not sure if this is because the bar was too heavy, or my form was just off. I took the chains off for the last two sets, and I felt I was able to move a little bit faster.

On bench and squat, if I feel like I'm not moving the bar fast enough, should I just reduce the load, and keep the accommodating resistance the same, or what? Trying to sort out all the Westside Method stuff, and I'm still coming across bits and pieces that I missed, or misinterpreted.

Kent
I am going to suggest that you not do speed work and just keep things simple. If you want a speed day ditch the chains etc. Not to say you are green but you would be better served to focus on your range of motion and overall technique.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #14
Kent Newland

Profile:

Upon reflection, I am going to agree with you. I'll save all that stuff for when I get back home, and just concentrate on ROM, technique on lighter days, and all the weight I can handle on heavy days.

Kent