CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
How to fix my sleep issues

So if you've read some of my previous posts, you'll know that I've got some pretty bad sleep issues; staying asleep, falling back to sleep after I've woken up, waking up way too early, sometimes sleeping a full night but still feeling the same as I always do: fatigued, lazy, etc.

Ive been like this since I was about 12 and it's gotten worse. Honestly, I can't remember a single day in my life when I felt energetic, full of life/vigor or even well-rested. As such I've had trouble with recovery and improving my overall performance.

Anyway, I have health insurance now and I just wanted some help as far as what things I should check w/my doctor?

The first thing the doctor did was have some outside company send me a kit that tests for sleep apnea. I sent the kit back to the company for evaluation but heard nothing back from either them or my doctor's office. After about 8 weeks I called my doctor's office to follow up. The response from someone I think was a medical assistant:

"The test showed that you don't have sleep apnea."

"Ok, but I still have this problem."

"Ok... maybe you can try those Breath-Right strips"

"I tried those, they didn't help."

"Do you drink a lot of coffee?"

"Only one cup in the early morning. But I've gone weeks w/o any coffee or caffiene and it's been the same."

After a few exchanges of her throwing out random ideas she suggested I make an appointment again w/the doctor. I said I'd call back.

Now, when I go there, I want to have some suggestions as far as things to check for in the event that the doctor has a less than proactive attitude like the person on the phone. Adrenal fatigue? Testosterone levels? Vitamin/mineral defficiency???

Btw, they also did a blood test and STD test when I first visited. STD was negative and the only thing she talked to me about regarding the blood test were my cholesterol numbers.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Brent Latimer

Profile:
Re: How to fix my sleep issues

Have you tried ZMA before bed?

I'm going through some terrible sleep issues (mostly due to work stress at the moment). I've always found I sleep very solid with some ZMA before bed. Doesn't help me fall asleep at all but when I do I'm out cold.

Also it seems common to get very vivid dreams, I usually do.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Latimer View Post
Have you tried ZMA before bed?

I'm going through some terrible sleep issues (mostly due to work stress at the moment). I've always found I sleep very solid with some ZMA before bed. Doesn't help me fall asleep at all but when I do I'm out cold.

Also it seems common to get very vivid dreams, I usually do.
If you have trouble falling asleep initially, check out the NightWave. It's just a pager sized device that emits this pulsating light that you point onto your ceiling. It pulsates slowly and you basically try to synchronize your breathing with it. I have it and it really helped to actually fall asleep. If there's too much chatter in your head and you're too wound up to lower your breathing and heart rate, the focus on the light takes care of all of that. I highly recommend it.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
Jake Barrett

Profile:

I second the use of ZMA, it really puts me in a deep sleep. The only downside is the vivid, sometimes violent dreams and all the side effect that comes with testosterone boosters.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Bill Peabody

Profile:

I think the first thing I would want to do is get an evaluation from a sleep clinic. I think they are getting fairly common now and even have machines you take home that record how you are sleeping.

Good Luck,
Bill
Old 05-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Brett Dartt

Profile:

I was the same way. Now i sleep in total darkness. Black curtains an black tape over ANY led light source. Ditch the alarm clock and use the cell phone or an unlighted old fashioned alarm clock. Any light disrupts seratonin or melatonin whichever. Did all that and now i am sleeping better than i have my entire life. Then i added zma and it got really awesome.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
James Rios

Profile:

ive developed sleep issues entirely due to emotional stress.
the following has done wonders for me

total darkness
as little noise as possible
memory foam mattress cover
1000mg Vit C
and whatever the 100% of a RDA for magnesium is

the last 2 seem to make the biggest difference ESPECIALLY when im in school and already dont get enough sleep as it is.
i have specific memories of lying in bed one night and not being able to fall asleep, only to remember hey, i didnt take my Vit C. get up. take it. fall asleep in minutes. might be placebo, might not be. all i know is its working effect. ive also recently ran out of magnesium and havent had a chance to go get more. ive noticed myself not sleeping as deep anymore.

hope this helps. and that night wave thing sounds really cool.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

See if there is a sleep clinic in your area.

Not sure how they tested for sleep apnea. Everyone I know that has been tested had to spend the night in a clinic hooked up to a machine.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post

Not sure how they tested for sleep apnea. Everyone I know that has been tested had to spend the night in a clinic hooked up to a machine.
Yep, that is what I had to do.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post

They even have ones you bring home and do yourself. Hard to sleep with all that **** on you