CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Jordan Derksen

Profile:
Recovery, Blair Morrisons Article.

http://crossfitmobile.blogspot.ca/20...itness-is.html (WFS)

Good article. Just wondering if anyone else has read it and how many people do many of the things he says. The one I find most intriguing is taking a full week off every 4-6 weeks. I know he does it but outside of him it's pretty much unheard of and I find it really fascinating that a games level athlete takes a full week off that often (not to mention training every other day). I've typically found when I do take a week off I lose a chunk of weight and it takes me a solid week back training to start feeling snappy in the gym again and I typically feel like it was just lots of time lost.

Anyone else take a week off that often? Or if you do regular deload weeks whats it look like? I know lots of people still train but they'll dial down the volume and/or intensity in the heavy lifts and WODs.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Pete Nadeau

Profile:
Re: Recovery, Blair Morrisons Article.

Yes its a good article, I train but I lower the volume or intensity of the WOD when my body lets me know. But I'm not a "games level athlete" I'm a Garage Gym Crossfitter
Old 05-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
http://crossfitmobile.blogspot.ca/20...itness-is.html (WFS)

Good article. Just wondering if anyone else has read it and how many people do many of the things he says. The one I find most intriguing is taking a full week off every 4-6 weeks. I know he does it but outside of him it's pretty much unheard of and I find it really fascinating that a games level athlete takes a full week off that often (not to mention training every other day). I've typically found when I do take a week off I lose a chunk of weight and it takes me a solid week back training to start feeling snappy in the gym again and I typically feel like it was just lots of time lost.

Anyone else take a week off that often? Or if you do regular deload weeks whats it look like? I know lots of people still train but they'll dial down the volume and/or intensity in the heavy lifts and WODs.
You must have missed the "ACTIVE" portion of the week long rest. Pick eccentric less or eccentric lite movements. Think prowler pushes or kettlebell swings.

For instance a rest week for me is
10-15 swings rest for a minute or 2 and then maybe some single leg work but very moderate or slow pace not METCON style a rest in between each movement or a static stretch in between each one. You shouldn't be out of breath at anytime during the week.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
Alex McRobie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
You must have missed the "ACTIVE" portion of the week long rest. Pick eccentric less or eccentric lite movements. Think prowler pushes or kettlebell swings.

For instance a rest week for me is
10-15 swings rest for a minute or 2 and then maybe some single leg work but very moderate or slow pace not METCON style a rest in between each movement or a static stretch in between each one. You shouldn't be out of breath at anytime during the week.
I've been following Blairs blog pretty closely, I think there is some awesome stuff on there for training, knowledge and inspiration. He has been doing this rest focused training for a while now, I'm very keen to see how it goes at regionals and the games for him. The active rest thing as I understand it wouldn't involve kb swings or prowler pushes, like he says in the article 5 mile run, no. 5 mile walk, yes. I think it's more a case of just relaxing, taking mind off training and doing something fun.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Ya by that logic Olympic lifts would also be 'active rest'.

I know that you take a week off of active rest and not just sitting around, I was mostly just wondering if anyone else actually does this regularly. It's a far cry from the typical games athlete 'while everyone else is resting I'm training' kind of mentality.

It's also interesting to see Foucher's domination this weekend, from what I know of her training from the brief journal article she only trains once a day because of med school and isn't doing the multiples everyone else is doing. But then there's Froning who mopped the floor with everyone and we all know what he does.

I think it's going to work well for Blair especially because if you look at his weekly volume it's still much higher than someone doing 3 on 1 off kind of mainsite training, he just jams it all into one day and takes the next off. In terms of getting your mind off training I totally understand that though. Last year I took a month off and just Olympic lifted because I needed a break from metcons.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

A week deload is fairly common for any type of structured and/or periodized training program. It's a great time to let all of the "gains" you've worked for come into fruition as the body supercompensates.

Fatigue is dispelled and the fitness shows itself pretty much.

Read up more on periodization and programming in general and you'll see why the concepts work well.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
Ya by that logic Olympic lifts would also be 'active rest'.

I know that you take a week off of active rest and not just sitting around, I was mostly just wondering if anyone else actually does this regularly. It's a far cry from the typical games athlete 'while everyone else is resting I'm training' kind of mentality.

It's also interesting to see Foucher's domination this weekend, from what I know of her training from the brief journal article she only trains once a day because of med school and isn't doing the multiples everyone else is doing. But then there's Froning who mopped the floor with everyone and we all know what he does.

I think it's going to work well for Blair especially because if you look at his weekly volume it's still much higher than someone doing 3 on 1 off kind of mainsite training, he just jams it all into one day and takes the next off. In terms of getting your mind off training I totally understand that though. Last year I took a month off and just Olympic lifted because I needed a break from metcons.
No any type of significant OL would not be resting, because of the taxing of the CNS which is what causes overtraining most of the time. I see where you were going with that with the eccentric but I suppose my definition was to broad because I hate semantics. However "greasing the groove" so to speak on the OL with the bar would be active rest. I use Coach McCauley's drills on rest days and ever since then my lifts feel a lot better and my positons are better.

As the other poster pointed out its about relaxing with some activity your ANS gets bombarded and needs a break. You hear it all the time from people who talk about well being try to take 15-20 minutes a day with no sound, tv, book nothing and just sit with your thoughts it gives your system a break.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Richard Colon

Profile:

I had the pleasure of meeting him in person and talking to him very briefly about it. He was very open with his training style, schedule and all that jazz.

Clearly, the guy is a machine and is the real deal, so it is working for him, that's for sure. I met him at his gym when he first opened it and I know he is a huge outdoor type of guy. Fitness isn't confined to some small "box" for him. He pushes, pulls, climbs and jumps everywhere - even across the world. That sort of free spirit with training makes sense for him because it allows him to do that active rest and just enjoy being active without actually killing himself with massive CNS fatigue and such.

A good swim in open water, a run on a beach and some KB swings near waterfalls in Iceland can do a body good. Oh yea, if the WoD happens to be like the 1st WoD of the 2011 games - then all is great for you as well!

Deload weeks are built into some of the best, most intense programs I've already tried so nothing new there for me.

Also, while I do agree that serious Olympic lifts aren't exactly resting, I don't put them nearly in the same category as the powerlifts for taxing the CNS. The time under tension is just not there. I feel sore a bit from a max effort C&J or Snatch session but after a heavy deadlift day - I just feel done, internally and externally. There is a HUGE difference.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
I had the pleasure of meeting him in person and talking to him very briefly about it. He was very open with his training style, schedule and all that jazz.

Clearly, the guy is a machine and is the real deal, so it is working for him, that's for sure. I met him at his gym when he first opened it and I know he is a huge outdoor type of guy. Fitness isn't confined to some small "box" for him. He pushes, pulls, climbs and jumps everywhere - even across the world. That sort of free spirit with training makes sense for him because it allows him to do that active rest and just enjoy being active without actually killing himself with massive CNS fatigue and such.

A good swim in open water, a run on a beach and some KB swings near waterfalls in Iceland can do a body good. Oh yea, if the WoD happens to be like the 1st WoD of the 2011 games - then all is great for you as well!

Deload weeks are built into some of the best, most intense programs I've already tried so nothing new there for me.

Also, while I do agree that serious Olympic lifts aren't exactly resting, I don't put them nearly in the same category as the powerlifts for taxing the CNS. The time under tension is just not there. I feel sore a bit from a max effort C&J or Snatch session but after a heavy deadlift day - I just feel done, internally and externally. There is a HUGE difference.
Yes there is a huge difference but I am not recommending heavy OL as part of active rest and anyone who does is not your friend.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
Hollie Jacobs

Profile:

Great article! Thanks for sharing.